Talk

Advanced search

What does "GCSE level 1" and "GCSE level 2" mean?

(15 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 15:51:27

Isn't a GCSE a GCSE?

confused

elphabadefiesgravity Sun 29-May-11 15:55:55

In what context?

GCSE's are generally a 2 year course so if a college is publishing a timetable perhaps they may refer to each year as level 1 or level 2.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 16:12:42

I'm meant to be summarising a document that is showing KS4 attainment

One of the indicators is 5+ A*-C inc A*-C GCSE English & Maths

then two others are:

5+ A*-C inc Level 2 E&M
5+ A*-G inc Level 1 E&M

I don't understand what the second two mean??

Thanks for your help

senua Sun 29-May-11 16:29:23

Level 1 is grades D-G
Level 2 is grades A*-C

pranma Sun 29-May-11 16:34:02

Many subjects including English and Maths have two levels-Higher and Foundation.
Higher allows levels A* to D and Foundation C to G
Most schools will enter borderine C/D candidates for F level as they have more chance of an acceptable grade there.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 16:36:12

But senua, then what is the difference between the first 2?

senua Sun 29-May-11 16:47:47

Um, don't understand the question SPB.
If you get grade G-or-above, then you are awarded a GCSE. However, employers and the like only really recognise grade C-or-above. So if you get grade G, F, E or D, you are awarded a GCSE and the school gets to count it in their statistics (as a Level 1). If you get grade C, B, A or A* then you get a GCSE that you can boast abount on your CV and the school gets to count it in statistics (as a Level 2 and, by default, a Level1)
Does that explain it better?

senua Sun 29-May-11 16:58:53

Do you mean what is the difference between
"5+ A*-C inc A*-C GCSE English & Maths"
and
"5+ A*-C inc Level 2 E&M" ?

If that is your question then I think that I share your confusion!confused Do they return different staistics?

coastgirl Sun 29-May-11 17:01:19

It might refer to GCSE-equivalent courses such as ALAN (adult numeracy and literacy) that can be taken at level 1 or level 2.

Goblinchild Sun 29-May-11 17:02:23

Some courses are GCSE equivalents, could that be what it means?
My DS is heading for 9 GCSEs at A*-C Higher tier, and an ASDAN level 2 qualification which is equal to a GCSE grade....C I think.

Goblinchild Sun 29-May-11 17:02:47

xpost coastgirl. smile

YesterdaysPants Sun 29-May-11 17:03:40

Level 2 means GCSE equivalent, level 3 means A-level equivalent. I teach BTEC courses at both levels and am looking into doing a level 1 course with Y9 students.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 17:58:01

Right, thank you all - that makes sense

SilveryMoon Sun 29-May-11 18:02:18

Have a look here

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-May-11 18:12:12

Thank you!! Think I will print that out and pin it above my desk. Someone at work gave me something similar but it wasn't as clear/comprehensive

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: