Talk

Advanced search

Schools in Surrey and West Sussex

(30 Posts)
2busy2sitdown Wed 20-Apr-11 22:05:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

goinggetstough Thu 21-Apr-11 07:43:51

Hi,
I have friends with children at Gordons and they have been very pleased with it. There is definitely a Mumsnetter who has a DD at RAA so hopefully she will be long soon.
As an overseas parent too I might just add check how many full boarders they have at weekends in your child's year. Some schools have a majority of weekly boarders or a very flexible exeat policy so children go out most weekends. Obviously there is nothing wrong with this type of policy but it is worth knowing about prior to choosing a school so that your DC is not left at school when the majority go home - even allowing for the fact that DCs are taken home by local school friends too.

mumoverseas Thu 21-Apr-11 18:51:05

just typed a long reply and stupid computer ate it! Will try again!
DD goes to RAA and loves it. We live overseas too, in the ME and she wasn't doing particularly well in the British school there so we took the decision to send her back 3 years ago and she is doing very very well there.

There are a lot of overseas/forces students at RAA so always lots of people there and lots going on at weekends.
DS goes to a different boarding school (he joined the 6th form before RAA had one) and not many full boarders there.

DD currently doing GCSEs and will go onto 6th form for A levels. I'm no expert on difference between IB or A levels but my personal preference would be A levels. A friend of mine who is also overseas is sending her DD back to a different college for 6th form in September and she has chosen A levels over IB.

Will your DD be going straight into 6th form or doing GCSEs first? If you would like her to get in touch with my DD to 'talk' about school then please do not hesitate to PM me. I was lucky that I 'found' another parent at the school before DD started which was really helpful.

Good luck

MABS Sun 24-Apr-11 10:58:00

steyning grammar is not a good school at all, don'r be mislead by the grammar in the title .raa is great i have heard

2busy2sitdown Sun 24-Apr-11 22:38:22

MABS Mon 25-Apr-11 09:46:48

i live 5 mins from it so it is catchment school. all the locals go there as it is only school, many parents not at all happy with it, that's all i can tell you. not personal experience, my kids not there tho.

2busy2sitdown Mon 25-Apr-11 15:42:42

MABS Mon 25-Apr-11 22:17:47

please remember i can't speak personally tho

cantspel Tue 26-Apr-11 02:01:12

I know 2 parents who sent their children to steyning grammar and neither were happy with it. One of the boys has now transferred to my sons school which involves quite a journey and the other is stuck there as there is no other school in the area and they are unwilling to fund the travel to go out of area.
There are no grammar schools in west sussex and even thought it is called steyning grammar it is a local comp.

mummytime Tue 26-Apr-11 16:36:54

I know someone who taught there during their PGCE, and she would also say it is not a good school. Gordon's get the best exam results (if you like the ethos I'd choose that one), RAA is good and improving. Steyning I would advise against.

2busy2sitdown Tue 26-Apr-11 21:07:11

mountaingirl Wed 27-Apr-11 20:06:12

Ds goes to RAAS, he started in yr 10. He absolutely loves it. Ds is staying on for the 6th form. We only have positives to report. Of course that might change if Ds doesn't do well in his GCSE's!! (Actually that'll be his fault) Gordon's appears more academic although we hadn't heard of it until after we sent Ds to RAAS! Ds has certainly had a very good experience at RAAS. We have found them to be kind, caring and in many cases to go the extra mile to help. There always seems to be kids around at the weekend. They have Saturday morning school so are free afterwards until Sunday. Do you have family nearby to look after Dd when she wants a home cooked meal? Good luck!

mountaingirl Wed 27-Apr-11 20:29:46

Just looked at Steyning Grammar and am surprised at the above comments as the school has got children in to Cambridge! They must be doing something right!

Something to consider is access to airports. RAAS is only half an hour from Gatwick, Gordon's can easily access both Heathrow and Gatwick but Steyning looks quite a lot further out. How would your Dd get there?

2busy2sitdown Wed 27-Apr-11 21:35:18

MABS Thu 28-Apr-11 07:15:42

have to go to shoreham station and get a cab to steyning, around £12. there is one bus an hour, takes about 30mins.

Steyning 6th form is ok 'ish' but the lower school is not at all well thought of locally, i looked and was not impressed at all

mumoverseas Fri 29-Apr-11 19:24:54

<mos waves at MABS and mountaingirl> mwah mwah xx

mountaingirl Sat 30-Apr-11 08:18:23

Morning MOS! smile Xxx

2busy2sitdown Sat 30-Apr-11 17:36:35

mumoverseas Sun 01-May-11 12:38:50

<wonders whether we should have a MNers mums meet up at RAA in September?> wink

toobusytorelax Sat 04-Jun-11 21:23:57

I would advise you to send your DD to RAAS. It is a really good school. Hopefully your DD will enjoy it. You must show her alot of love during the time left, you will miss her when she is boarding.

2busy2sitdown Sun 05-Jun-11 16:23:25

goinggetstough Sun 05-Jun-11 17:04:01

Skype - I love it, it makes such a difference. Apart from obviously accessing skype from a computer/laptop the 3 network have skype apps on their ordinary mobile phones. This means if the 3 network coverage is good at school it might be worth looking into. As there is good coverage at the airport we found it was excellent to chat to our DC to confirm they were at the gate etc Some schools have restricted skype access at school and no cameras - worth checking.

mumoverseas Sun 05-Jun-11 17:38:31

2busy2sitdown the first few weeks are the hardest but it does get better. The housemistress in DD's house is lovely and looks after the girls well and of course my DD will take her under her wing and look after her. Does she know which boarding house she is going into yet? I think you said she couldn't go to the induction day but if you'd like the girls to meet before term starts please let me know and we can sort something out.

2busy2sitdown Mon 06-Jun-11 14:40:14

mumoverseas Mon 06-Jun-11 15:42:30

Fingers crossed that she gets into DD's house, the housemistress is so lovely (the one two years ago was evil but thankfully she has gone!)

I think DD has finally emailed your DD, seems that she had problems accessing her hotmail account for a while and although I normally email her at her school account I'd used hotmail for that one!

DD is always on facebook and am sure she must have access to skype too. In fact, if they did GCSE FB she would get an A*!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now