Talk

Advanced search

Brighton & Hove High School for Girls (GDST) or Towers Convent?

(12 Posts)
redshoes Sat 19-Mar-11 19:54:32

Does anyone have any recent exoerience of either of the above? I am trying to choose between them for my daughter. The High School gets better results at GCSE (but is more selective). She prefers the Towers, which does have a nicer atmosphere, but it doesn't offer the same breadth of subjects eg Latin. Can't decide!

OP’s posts: |
yotty Sun 20-Mar-11 20:35:59

I went to the towers back in the 70's. Even back then Brighton and hove high was regarded as more academic because I assume it was selective and the towers was not. Back then it was smaller but with a higher proportion of boarders. I certainly would not want a child to be a full boarder with so few boarders around at the weekend. From looking at their website they have certainly improved the facilities and choice of extra curricular activities. But it just seems so small that I personally would rather send a child to a secondary school with at least a cohort of 100 children in a year group or else it is too cosy. Of course if you have a child who needs to be very nurtured i'm sure a school like that would be fine. It's just that if the school is bigger then generally there are enough people to get involved in a wide range of activities.
That being said, I was a weekly boarder for my last 2 years (ie. up to 16 years old), which I loved, as I could hang out with my friends and get my homework done in a structured environment.

mebaasmum Mon 21-Mar-11 18:25:42

Hi

I know a couple of people who are very happy with the towers convent. The senior school seems to get excellent results with the cohort it has. The prep school doesnt seem that academic and the girls that come in at 11 from outside the school seem to be academically at a higher level than the home grown pupils. pupils and staff seem to have a good relationship with each other. a down side of the towes is no sixth form

redshoes Mon 21-Mar-11 19:06:49

Thanks both, that's exactly how I'm perceiving them - my dd has been offered a place at both and she really likes the 'cosy' atmosphere at the Towers, but I'm worried that she won't be stretched academically there. That said, the Towers gets pretty good results considering that the intake is virtually non-selective.Interested in what you say Yotty about numbers - all the comps here have year groups of 300+ which is one reason we're looking at private! I did love the 'homely' feel of the Towers - and so did my dd. I think she needs to be nurtured - she's very sweet and quite young for her age - whereas dh thinks she needs to 'get some teeth'. Aaaagggh! Such a difficult choice...

yotty Mon 21-Mar-11 21:05:58

When I was at the towers my best friend was the cleverest in the year group of about 18 girls. She left with great 'o' levels and is now a GP. I have another friend who left with scarcely any 'o' levels yet she appears to be pretty confident and you would not know that she struggled academically. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are bright, hard working and focussed you will be fine, but if you need the stimulation of other bright children around you to keep to striving for your best then perhaps a more selective school would be better.

redshoes Tue 22-Mar-11 18:05:32

Exactly how it appears then - good for confidence/self-esteem but the High School more a dead cert for results. Now, if only I could decide which was more important...

notmyday Fri 15-Jul-11 13:32:42

Hello,

I'm going through exactly this dilemma too between the Towers and Brighton High School. Considering moving in year 5 (next Sept) to try and ensure getting in for Year 7. Can I ask if you made a decision between the two??

Thanks!

redshoes Sat 16-Jul-11 22:41:43

Hi there,
After a lot of agonizing we plumped for the High School, largely because we are more local to it and dd will be able to travel there independently. The Towers did have a lovely feel to it though!
Hth

notmyday Mon 08-Aug-11 13:24:08

Hi again,
Would you mind if I also ask whether you were applying for both the Towers and BHHS entry at Year 7 or did you feel you had to move your DD there a year earlier to ensure she got in for Year 7? (eg any implication given by the schools that that would be necessary?) That's my other dilemma I'm going through! I'd probably have to start younger DD there too in reception as she starts school next year and I couldn't get them to two different places in the morning! Thanks for your help.

redshoes Sat 13-Aug-11 10:53:06

No, no suggestion from either school that joining earlier would be necessary. Never considered it. Although my dd loved the Towers so much on her taster day she did beg to join there and then!

MWsMum Fri 27-Jan-12 13:31:05

The Towers everytime! Staff and Sisters are incredible and just cannot do enough for you.

ND78 Sat 06-Oct-18 19:25:19

I went to visit both and the care and happiness the Towers transmitted to me and my daughter was amazing. As I live in Hove I decided to put my daughter in the local school however later I decided to change her to the Towers for Year 1. She is now in Year 2 and she absolutely loves the school. Her development both academicaly and personally have been amazing. The children are happy and it just feels such a safe environment. The before school (from 7.30am) and after care (including clubs) until 5pm are all including in the fees which is a massive bonus! It only takes me 15 min to get there which is the same if I would send my daughter to a Brighton school.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in