Talk

Advanced search

RGS Guildford

(21 Posts)
deemimi Sat 26-Feb-11 09:41:00

DS has been offered a place at RGS Guildford (first form) which we are accepting. We are not from the Guildford area and are planing to move there in the summer. Any suggestions on areas around the school? Where may be a good place to start looking?
We are hoping that in a couple of years, DS should be able travel to school and back without being driven by us.

Deemimi

happilyconfused Sat 26-Feb-11 10:08:12

Congratulations it is a super school. Lots of boys catch the train so you do not have to limit yourself to Guildford. London Road station can looks like a school station as it disgorges boys and girls for RGS, GHS and Tormead - Guildford main the same.

deemimi Sat 26-Feb-11 10:44:38

Thanks happilyconfused.

Any other mums out there whose boys are starting form 1 in sept at rgs? Would be nice to make contact.

alice15 Sat 26-Feb-11 20:17:44

Completely agree that anywhere on the train routes to Guildford would be fine - there's a shortage of properties in Guildford city centre itself, depending what you are looking for. What else are you looking for in the area you move to? There are very good train services from East Horsley, Woking, Aldershot, to name but a few - and the train is a great way of meeting other pupils, as happilyconfused said.

mummytime Sun 27-Feb-11 08:16:06

Do be aware that Guildford has some excellent State schools, so some areas have high house prices because you do have to live in catchment for them.
(BTW Guildford is not a city, and some residents would campaign against it becoming one.)

alice15 Sun 27-Feb-11 10:51:07

sorry, I always forget it's a cathedral without a city - someone told me when I was about 8 that anywhere with a cathedral is a city, and old habits die hard!

heartsnflowers Mon 28-Feb-11 08:56:22

Come to Godalming!train quick and easy--also good for Bradstone brook -Sports matches and games pick ups

LGJ Mon 28-Feb-11 09:09:41

Farnham, an easy commute.

mummytime Mon 28-Feb-11 09:28:28

Actually would Chilworth or Shalford be the idel location? Train to Guildford and in the same place (or close) for the sports ground. Cheaper and lovely countryside, of course at weekends yo may end up as a Taxi.

Pagwatch Mon 28-Feb-11 09:35:21

Shalford would be perfect I suspect. Especially as the walk through the woods to bradstone brook is only about 10-15 mins. Driving from guildford to bradstone brook on a saturday or worse, at 5.00 on a week night is a complete shit if you have to go through the one way system.

Try to let your son get to school independently. As others have said I think it is bonding. New boys who arrive without peers (as my son did) need to break into the cliques. Especially the lanesborough one- although in fairness that is way more about the parents.

thekidsmom Mon 28-Feb-11 09:43:49

Well done your DS!

I would disagree about the easy commute from Farnham - its a change at Aldershot where BR does not keep the train for even a minute so you can miss a connection either there or back which costs you half an hour. That takes you into guildford mainline and the boys walk up the hill. To get to London road (which the girls do but your DS wouldnt need to) is then ANOTHER train, and its a pain, quite frankly. The earliest he would get back into FRanham in the evening would be 5pm.

If I were in your position I'd look up the line from London Road at Clandon, East Horsley or Claygate. Or better still, a house in walking distance of the school would be brilliant - my kids are all jealous of those friends who walk to school in 10 minutes!

but as pagwatch says, there is an advantage to the Shalfrod side too for the sports ground....

so basically I'd say, not Farnham or anywhere with a change (having had my kids do it for the last 7 years...)

cancope Mon 07-Mar-11 15:19:53

Hi there - I too have one starting in September. We shall be getting the haslemere train which is great (is direct with no change). Haslemere is well worth considering as place to live.

cancope Mon 07-Mar-11 15:20:50

I have a son starting in September 11. We live near Haslemere which has a direct train to Guildford (20mins) - is also a lovely place to live.

Fiddledee Tue 08-Mar-11 08:20:59

I have a DD starting at one of the girls schools in town. Will be moving to a place in the area very soon have been looking since September so I know alot of the areas.

It depends where you and your family need to commute to as well. Also on your budget. Do you want to live in Guildford, a surrounding town or a village.

There are loads of train lines into town. Farnham is not a good place to live as trains infrequent and changes awkward. All the villages to the east of the town - west clandon, east horsley, cobham very frequent (every 15mins) trains into town plus they go to waterloo in other direction. The villages to the south - Bramley, shamley green there are very regular bus services that go on until late at night. Godalming is another option although alot of the good housing is not near the station.

Guildford itself depends on your budget to be honest. To walk to school you can get houses under £1m. To have a lovely house on the downs and walk to school mainly over £1m. All houses walkable to the school tend to get snapped up very quickly.

JoBoBaggins Tue 08-Mar-11 21:09:48

My son is starting RGS in Sept too, we live the Worplesdon side of Guildford and he will be getting the bus into town. Hadn't considered the sports ground issue, it is an absolute nightmare getting across town from here late afternoon! Just wondering how quickly boys make friends etc? He is the only one going from his state primary and won't know a soul! Any one else from our area? It's cheaper to buy round here OP as we are not George Abbot catchement!

deemimi Tue 21-Jun-11 16:40:12

Thanks all for the very good advise. We have been diligently looking and found a couple of houses in Elstead that we like and are considering making an offer on. Any suggestions on what Elstead is like and areas to avoid etc.?

thekidsmom Tue 21-Jun-11 19:41:12

Elstead is lovely but you're commiting yourself to driving at least as far as Milford for the train. Good service from there, though.

Can't help sepcifically on areas for houses tho - I've not heard that there are bad parts of Elstead....

dizzyblonde Thu 23-Jun-11 11:28:16

My DS is just about to leave RGS and I can honestly say we have never picked up from Bradstone Brook. I presume they transport them back to school, have never asked him ( what a bad Mother I am ) He gets the train and has to change at Woking. Has never had any problems. We did live a bit closer originally and he got the school bus but it was far more expensive than the train.

Pagwatch Thu 23-Jun-11 11:41:59

grin

dizzy the school rarely,if ever, do transport back from BB after matches. only sometimesafter training. Away matches are a pick up in the high street

How on earth has he been getting home ?

perhaps it is best not to ask now......

grin

dizzyblonde Thu 23-Jun-11 17:03:23

That explains it- not in matches. HIs interests lie more in the drama direction so thankfully I've never had to collect. Last A Level on Monday so end of an era.

deemimi Fri 24-Jun-11 11:50:53

JoBoBaggins, Cancope...nice to meet you!

DS doesnt know anyone here, but I am hoping that the boys will make friend easily and get on with school. Looking forward to Wednesday next week, to make some contacts and get things rolling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now