Talk

Advanced search

Key Stage 3 National Curriculum Levels

(18 Posts)
titchy Mon 21-Feb-11 16:07:19

Anyone got a note of these? E.g. by the end of Year 8 an average child should expect to achieve level 5a or whatever, and that their expected progress would lead them to GCSE grade C.

New to this secondary lark!

TIA

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Feb-11 16:57:58

By the end of KS3 (end Yr9) your child should be working two full levels above their KS2 grade. So for an average child (4b at KS2) that would mean 6b at end of Year 9.

titchy Mon 21-Feb-11 17:00:30

Thanks - that's what I thought too, but Wiki and a couple of other links suggested Level 5 OR 6 at the end of year 9. Level 5 at the end of year 9 seemed low to me.... Just wanted the definitive levels!

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Feb-11 17:02:04

It depends on the subject to an extent - level 5 is probably good for subjects which they only begin properly in KS3 such as MFL.

PixieOnaLeaf Mon 21-Feb-11 17:06:30

Message withdrawn

roisin Mon 21-Feb-11 18:26:30

A couple of years ago Level 5 at the end of yr9 was "the standard", in the same way as L2 for KS1 and L4 for KS2.

However since then Ofsted/Govt have upped the bar and there is an expectation that more students will achieve L6 by the end of KS3 - as others have described above.

(NB This doesn't apply to MFL and certain other subjects whose levels work slightly differently.)

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 21-Feb-11 19:49:05

That's right Roisin, the expectation used to be 1.5 sub levels of progress per year and it is now two. Some schools have taken that on board more than others.

busymummy3 Tue 22-Feb-11 00:13:02

so a quick question about MFL my DD started at level 1 in Y7 as stated in other posts everyone starts at this level in secondary as not everyone does a language in primary. By the end of Y7 she was level3 now in Y9 is assessed at level 6a+ and has been given a target of level 7c DD is studying French I just assumed most kid would hit level 6 or 7 by end of Y9?

roisin Tue 22-Feb-11 08:25:45

I think it sounds as though she is doing very well in French and certainly above average.

At ds1's school the most able students have targets of L8 for subjects like maths, science and english.

But for MFL the top targets are L6.
In yr7 they study 3 languages - 1 term each. (3 lessons per week.)
In yr8 and 9 they study 2 languages - 3 lessons per fortnight for each.

I guess if they were just studying one, they would progress faster.

circular Wed 23-Feb-11 07:41:14

At DDs school, it's onlyarhs where it is written down that levels can go to 8. All other subjects say 7 as the max - although a couple of teachers have told her what's needed for a level 8 in their subject.
But I understand these levels go out of the window for KS4 and it goes to GCSE level marking - A to E, and could welkstart at E or even U.

Roisin - we've only just got to grips with the rise and fall in MFL levels as same as yours in yr7. IIRC DD started yr7 on 2a and ended on 4a, but she had done some French before. In yrs8 & 9 they still alternate two languages termly. So although she ended yr8 on 5a for both French and German, she started this yr on 4a in both, had German first, reached 6a but her overall MFL level won't go up until this terms French is assessed, but she should be 6a or better.

I think this term in yr9 marks the end of KS3 in MFL. DD was told that those taking an MFl option will go into their GCSE group for that language next term. Those not doing an MFL will do a term of " holiday Spanish". Not sure what they do with those taking > 1 MFL though.

boyanddogs Wed 07-Nov-12 11:04:30

What I am trying to find (unsuccessfully) is WHAT is actually involved in the curriculum and how this is actually assessed. What I find is stats, or generalities. I am a retired educator (university) as is my husband, so we have a very good idea of what the outcome should be at the end of the secondary school process (i.e. A levels and equivalents). But we are trying to help our adopted son through school now (Year 8), and like most kids he is not wonderfully forthcoming about what he is supposed to be aiming at. It's important for us to know if we are to give full support to him -- when should we be saying "try harder" or "try reading this" and when should we feel satisfied? He's a bright boy, but also a bereaved child with emotional difficulties, and he tends to let things slide unless people (us) actually either encourage or push.

noblegiraffe Wed 07-Nov-12 12:16:18

Now that Gove has been fiddling with GCSEs and demanding that they are more difficult (shortly before scrapping them), all bets are off as to how NC levels will predict GCSE grades.

As a very rough guide, back when we had KS3 SATs, more than half of students would go on to get a C from a level 5 in English and Science in Y9. In maths more than half on a level 6 in Y9 would go on to get a C.

Tinuviel Wed 07-Nov-12 15:56:43

Level 8 in MFL is more or less native speaker level - so totally unrealistic for 14 year olds (unless they are bilingual). We had a look at some 'official' samples of Level 7 reading texts and a colleague who has taught in a sixth form compared it to the level of text they used for AS. It was certainly above the hardest questions in GCSE, which does make you wonder why it's supposed to be appropriate for 14 year olds!

Regarding what topics we cover, it varies from school to school - there is no standard 'scheme of work' so topics can come in any order and grammar is 'tacked on' where it fits best but not necessarily in a particularly logical order. It certainly isn't taught well.

lljkk Wed 07-Nov-12 17:19:18

BoyandDogs May I suggest that you ask your son how he is doing within his class? He'll have a rough accurate idea (top, middle, bottom).

DS has been getting Level 5 feedback, reckons he is about middle of his sets, which are higher rather than lower, so seems to me like he is doing alright for him.

Except languages, he utterly loathes them.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 08-Nov-12 13:52:36

BoyandDogs there used to be exemplars on the Dept of Education website - are they not there anymore?

Have you talked with your son's form tutor? I imagine they'd be happy to talk things through with you, particularly given the circumstances.

drivinmecrazy Thu 08-Nov-12 14:03:10

I too am really struggling with these levels. DD1 just started yr7, finished yr six at level 5As. we have been told that this term, highest she can attain in french and spanish is 2A which she has reached (already had some french and spanish knowledge). Her art only assessed up to a 4A (she's 4B).
Am finding it really hard to adjust expectations and to know what is good progress.
Maths, English & Science easy, just a continuation of KS2 levels onto level 6.
Trying to get info out of an 11yo is nigh on impossible, though know she is top end of all classes (taught in mixed groups except maths)

Startail Thu 08-Nov-12 14:13:43

BoyandDogs, Definitely talk to the school school. His form tutor should have his latest report and targets or know who does.

The DDs school has gone to only reporting on their parents computer gateway.
Many schools have them and, with luck, the school website will tell you who to contact for a password.

Also never be afraid simply to ring reception, ours are absolutely lovely and can usually work out who you need to email.

Email being our teachers method of choice, because it can be done between lessons or from home and is way easier than phoning.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 08-Nov-12 14:53:20

BoysAndDogs this should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now