Talk

Advanced search

Where does teasing stop and bullying begin?

(8 Posts)
mary21 Tue 11-Jan-11 14:03:39

DS1 year 9 has been in trouble alot lately. He had Asperger's syndrome. He has been fighting, yelling in class at other pupils, and being abusive. He says another boy has been teasing him.+ Insulting me (his mother ) Ds then needs to get his own back and becomes the baddy. What to do. School are aware but most incidents start out of sight. Yesterdays when the teacher lft the class. Any help greatfuly recieved

belledechocchipcookie Tue 11-Jan-11 14:07:54

Bullying is more malicious, done to cause upset and is persistant. I'd say this was bullying. Have you been keeping a diary?

mary21 Tue 11-Jan-11 14:21:35

We have just started keeping one. initially we just thought it was ds's lack of coping. Now it seems more than that

belledechocchipcookie Tue 11-Jan-11 14:31:50

sad There was a little shit in ds's class who was bullying, he ended up telling ds that I was a loser and he'd spent the night with me angry He's 11!! Ds told the teacher and the boy was almost thrown out. Bullying can be really minor things sometimes aswell, like calling someone 'stupid.' If it's done repeatidly then it chips away as a child's self esteem. If they are told to stop and don't then it's bullying.

I'd make an appointment with the school and get it sorted right away. Is there a counsellor at the school? A teacher who's responsible for pastoral care?

Ooopsadaisy Tue 11-Jan-11 14:36:08

Bullying begins when the teasing no longer makes the victim laugh along with it.

We can all endure different levels of teasing but there comes a point when we have had enough of it - then it's bullying.

Just my view.

mnistooaddictive Tue 11-Jan-11 14:42:13

This is such a recurrent problem especially with children with Aspergers. You need to speak to the pastoral leader at the school and ask for a support programme to be put in place. I have used a daily record sheet where the child being teased recorded as much of qwhat happened as possible and handed it in at the end of each day. This allowed action to be taken against the child causing the trouble. All teachers need to know there are issues between the two of them so they can keep an eye. Your DS needs somewhere he can go at breaktimes and lunch where the other boy can't get at him.

Kez100 Tue 11-Jan-11 14:51:29

I also think that the border depends a bit on the character of the target of the bully too.

My two children are very different. One much tougher and able to let things go over his head and can see the bully as an idiot to be ignored. So, the bullying would have to go much further to be bullying with him - probably it would have to be physical - mind you, he would likely hit back even then.

However, my daughter is very soft, and easy to undermine her confidence. It wouldn't take much for her to be bullied. certainly many things which my son could cope with, she couldn't.

So, I think I am saying the borderline depends.

mary21 Tue 11-Jan-11 14:57:45

Thanks, thats really helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: