Advanced search

SENCOs - Exam Concessions?

(8 Posts)
goinggetstough Tue 11-Jan-11 10:32:00

I have been googling this morning trying to find out about concessions for AS exams as my DSs last certificate has run out. He should be allowed to have extra time, a reader and use of a laptop as he did for GCSEs. My question is .. I know that specialist teachers can carry out this assessment but I can't find a recent list of what qualifications they should have and I don't want to ask school at the moment. How long do these tests take?
Any help gratefully appreciated.

goinggetstough Tue 11-Jan-11 20:21:33

Anybody please....

mumeeee Tue 11-Jan-11 21:10:28

He will need to do another assesment. We had this with DD3. She is doing A level Drama outside of college. She took the As level last year. Her tutor managed to get the report from the high school she used to go to . But when he tried to enter it with the exam board they said it was 3 months out of date, Apparently the report only lasts 2 years. Anyway she ended up doing the exam without any concesions. She got a D because although she just failed the wrtitten exam she got a B 3 marks of an A for her performance, Anyway I digress, She is retaking the written part in a couple of days and has been granted extra tie for that,
But last week she had an asesment at college as with the course she is doing now she feels she needs support, The outcome of that is that it states she needs extra time And a scribe in any writen exam and that includes A levels. So when she takes the A level in June that is the concessions she will get, She has the aseament last Tuesday and recievd a copy of the report on Saturday. I think you should ask the schol otherwise you'll end up spending a lot of money.

goinggetstough Tue 11-Jan-11 21:15:47

I know his certificate will run out 4 weeks before his AS exams. School want to charge 100 pounds to do the test. As they have a large dyslexic department I thought they would have a qualified teacher there rather than have to get someone in, hence I needed to know what qualifications the specialist teachers needed to be able to carry out the tests.
Mumeeee, good luck to your daughter with her exams.

mumeeee Tue 11-Jan-11 22:08:53

The school should not be charging you to do the assesment.DD3's college did get someone in but didn't charge me. I think he is employed to go round colleges and schools to do this assesment
He has a B,ED ( Honours ) Degree and a Diploma in SEN and is a specialist in Learning Difficulties. I've just looked it up on DD3's asesment report. An Educational Phsycholagist can also do the asesment. My friends DS's School did this for her DS's GSCE's and they didn't charge her.
Does that help?

brambleschooks Tue 11-Jan-11 23:06:38

They should have ambda or ats with an extra certificate for assessment.
There is information on thdyslexia action website and the British dyslexia association website.
I wish him all the best in his exams.

camptownraces Wed 12-Jan-11 22:00:11

School does not have to accept an assessment report from an unknown outsider,especially one who is not up to date with the current regulations.

Has your son been at the same school since the previous assessment was carried out?

Why does school have to "charge" you? [although a very modest charge imho - I'd want more to do what might take several hours to do and write up, and provide specialist test materials for].

faeriefruitcake Thu 13-Jan-11 22:24:17

Talk to the Senco & exams officer, they should have all the relevent information needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: