Talk

Advanced search

Unfinished GCSEs - what happens?

(6 Posts)
alison60 Tue 07-Dec-10 14:05:04

If you are taking a GCSE with a number of modules spread over the 2 years, what happens if you only complete some of the modules and then give up? Would you fail or would you get a grade averaged out from the modules you had done?

Also, what would happen if you quit a BTEC before the end of the course? If you had been doing well up to that point, could you end up with a low pass?

webwiz Tue 07-Dec-10 14:15:47

Not sure for GCSEs but for a BTEC you would end up with nothing.

mumeeee Tue 07-Dec-10 21:25:11

For BTEC you have to complete all asignments or you fail. I imagine GCSE is the same if you don't complete al modules

lazymumofteenagesons Tue 07-Dec-10 22:12:53

If you actually turn up at the exam and put your name on the paper I think you will be given a grade based on what you have done. My son tells me that some people who sit the 3rd maths module who have 100% on the first 2 don't need anymore marks to get a B. But I think you have to enter all the modules.

EvilTwinsAteRudolph Tue 07-Dec-10 23:44:36

BTEC - it depends on the exact course. For example, I am teaching Level 2 BTEC Diploma (4 GCSE "equivalent") with my current Yr 10 class. I have planned it so that we do the manditory units first, so if a student drops out before the end of the course, then in theory, they would still have a BTEC Level 2 Certificate (1 GCSE equivalent) or a BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate (2 GCSE equivalent) depending on how much they have completed.

A student would get whatever level (Pass, Merit, Distinction) they had been working at - each unit is assessed as a separate module, so in theory a student could end up with an Extended Certificate at Distinction grade (2 As at GCSE)despite failure to "complete" the course.

EvilTwinsAteRudolph Tue 07-Dec-10 23:46:38

mandatory - sorry, long day.

OP - check out the exact title of BTEC courses - they are far more complicated than GCSEs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now