Talk

Advanced search

Oxford

(5 Posts)
JDRoberts Mon 29-Nov-10 14:42:39

Hi all,

This is my first post on mumsnet and was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

My girlfriend has recently gained her PhD from Oxford University and whilst she was there she lectured part time and was also did interviews on the admissions board.

She's been thinking of trying to earn some money from coaching students on how to pass the oxford exams and how to get past the interview stages.

Do you think this might be something parents would be willing to pay for?? I suggested to her that maybe she should teach maths instead?

senua Mon 29-Nov-10 16:34:29

This all seems a bit piecemeal. Is there no Grand Plan?

I can imagine that some parents will be willing to pay for Oxbridge coaching, but only as long as her knowledge is current and relevant. What happens once she is out of date?

JDRoberts Mon 29-Nov-10 17:19:01

Good point.

She's been on the admissions board for the last 2/3 years so she's definitely current!

She's also has to select people from UCAS forms so that's another thing she can do.

I understand that it is a bit piecemeal and so I think talking to parents initially to find out what they want might be a good starting point.

antigone25 Mon 29-Nov-10 17:24:47

I'm sure she would have some interest as people are always seeking advice. There are commercial companies which offer this, like "Oxbridge Applications". Perhaps she might approach one of them.

senua Mon 29-Nov-10 17:57:51

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant that your girlfriend's career plan seems a bit piecemeal.
Why did she expend time/money doing a PhD; what was the Grand Plan at that stage?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: