Talk

Advanced search

Tiger Project..... Yawny Yawnsville

(9 Posts)
RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 16-Nov-10 20:16:40

DS has to write a Tiger project for a Year 7 research exercise. He drew 'Tigers' out of the hat, and the point of the exercise is to learn how to research, write bibliographies, plan etc. But Lordy, this is going to be an effort! In Year 6 he had to do a Giraffe Project for the same purpose, and that nearly finished me him off!

Can anyone think of an interesting avenue to research about Tigers? He is only 11 so I think the use of tiger testicles as an aphrodisiac is a bit far out. So far his chapters include

Diet
Habitat

<<yawn>>
<<<sigh>>

Any suggestions or are we doomed?

whiteflame Tue 16-Nov-10 20:24:28

would he go for writing about the indian (i think?) tradition of hunting a tiger as a rite of passage, and subsequent endangerdness of tigers?

MitchyInge Tue 16-Nov-10 20:30:15

How can thinking about tigers make you yawn? Did you see lost land of the tiger? Might be on iplayer still.

MitchyInge Tue 16-Nov-10 20:32:37

tigers in crisis

RatherBeOnThePiste Tue 16-Nov-10 22:08:48

I think tigers are amazing creatures but DS will struggle and find researching them a trial. Had he to do a project on Spitfires, ferraris, any gadgets etc he would have been more inspired! It feels close to the giraffe one when he was looking at habitat, diet etc. When DD did this project she got Barcelona which she enjoyed, it was different.

Definitely the endangered aspect and am liking the hunting thing. Many thanks.

roisin Tue 16-Nov-10 22:13:09

Lots of info here on endangered tigers

He could write about the importance of the captive breeding programme. cute picture of rare sumatran tiger cub

tethersend Tue 16-Nov-10 22:17:01

How about Tigers in art? You have Henri Rousseau, Chinese symbolism, Tigers in Asian art.

If you can get to London, there is an exhibition at Asia house of Tigers in Asian art...

It's also the Chinese year of the Tiger, is it not?

whiteflame Tue 16-Nov-10 23:19:08

is there a zoo near you? if so, maybe he could go and observe the tigers, and put in some of his own photos/videos?

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 17-Nov-10 07:50:48

Oooo
Thank you all so much. Lots of different ideas and different angles. And than you for the links too! Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: