Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

changed my mind about secondary school preference

(20 Posts)
kanchan Tue 02-Nov-10 09:33:43

The deadline was 31st October and I've already changed my mind about my choice for DS secondary school....I wish I'd put our 3rd choice 2nd.....it's making me quite anxious and I don't think it can be changed. Could I withdraw the 2nd preference so then our 3rd choice would become our 2nd? Anyone done this?

SkippyjonJones Tue 02-Nov-10 09:35:10

Not done it myself but I would ring and ask smile good luck

kanchan Tue 02-Nov-10 09:43:26

Thanks skippy.....I should do that....I'm just too scared of the answer

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Tue 02-Nov-10 09:48:06

What are the odds on getting your 1st choice? It's only an issue if your first school is not likely to come through

SkippyjonJones Tue 02-Nov-10 09:49:07

Yes its a horrible feeling but I have found they are usually very helpful. Remember nothing is ever final. You can always move them out of a school they are not happy in. It will all be fine.

kanchan Tue 02-Nov-10 10:11:01

That's the problem, chances are he won't get into our first choice...although we are well within the catchment it's heavily oversubscribed. Just wondered if anyone's removed a preference. This whole thing is so stresstful! I never thought it would be like this but it's horrible...and we have to wait 4 months to find out...

Hassled Tue 02-Nov-10 10:15:44

You'll find a number for Secondary Admissions on your County Council website - they're usually a helpful bunch but tbh I think it might not be possible to change at this stage.

If you do get the wrong school, there still might be places at the one that was your third choice - don't panic just yet.

swanriver Tue 02-Nov-10 12:14:44

It is so difficult making the 2nd 3rd 4th choices - very much sympathise. I would have changed my mind up to last moment, really glad there was a cut-off date in the end. I know by March in my heart I'll be wanting my fourth choice school for various reasons and sad I'm not going there, although my head told me to put something else first blush

The only thing that reassured me was that all the schools I put down must have been alright or I wouldn't have even put them on the list at all.

admission Tue 02-Nov-10 14:05:19

I would say that as you are past the cut-off date that any change now will mean that you are counted as a late applicant and you will go right to the bottom of the pile for admission places.

Talk to your admission office but ask the question over whether you are too late and if they say no, then get them to confirm by email before you make any change, to give yourself some protection.

kanchan Tue 02-Nov-10 18:50:02

admission....you're right. I phoned admissions and if I make any changes, even just removing one of our preferences we'll be right at the bottom of the pile and our application will be considered late.
I can't stop stressing about it, but in the end I'm sure things will work out....hard times though

GypsyMay Wed 03-Nov-10 07:57:56

If you are allocated your second choice, perhaps it would then be possible to go on the waiting list for your third choice?

kanchan Wed 03-Nov-10 10:32:45

oooh....is that possible? If I accept our 2nd choice can I go on the waiting list for our 3rd choice or am I out of the system once I accept a school?

prh47bridge Wed 03-Nov-10 12:03:20

Once offers have been made you can go on the waiting lists for as many schools as you want, regardless of whether or not you have a place already. Also, you don't get pushed to the back of the waiting list just because you've got a place already.

kanchan Wed 03-Nov-10 15:08:25

wow...I had no idea. I thought once you'd accepted that was it. Gives us a bit of hope for our 3rd choice.
This is one of the most stressful times I have lived...didn't think it would be but it is. I was in tears last night, kicking myself for stating my preferences as I did but I can't undo it. My ds is ok....I'm the one stressing so that's ok.I'm sure I'm not alone.

andraste Thu 11-Nov-10 10:17:04

Hi Kanchan,

So glad I ready your posts, I'm stressing in exactly the same way over my 1st and 2nd choice. I went with the school DD preferred as first choice in spite of some misgivings over the school and now can't stop stressing that I've ruined her life somehow!! I think going straight on the waiting list for our number 2 choice (the school we have as number one is very likely to accept her) gives me some comfort!!

I just couldn't make my mind up whether to go for the better school which she wasn't so keen on and is 1 hour 20 mins journey each way or the nearer one she preferred that doesn't have the same track record by a long shot.

I agree that it's up there with house buying and my divorce for stressful times! In fact probably worse as we convince ourselves it's impacting on their entire futures. We need to take deep breaths and remember they can be moved to a different school if it doesn't work out!!

I'm sure we're neither of us alone!

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Thu 11-Nov-10 11:56:07

In most counties that i am aware of, you can appeal for any of the schools named on your application form, if you decide not to take the one offered, look into it carefully though, as you may not qualify for transport assistance if you have not accepted the school they give you

prh47bridge Thu 11-Nov-10 13:01:33

In all counties you can appeal for any school regardless of whether or not you named it on the application form. That is the law.

You should not reject the offered school before appealing. If your appeal then fails you will be left with no school.

Perpetually is right that the LA is not required to provide free transport if the place offered was within the "statutory walking distance" (3 miles for secondary school).

kanchan Thu 11-Nov-10 20:37:33

andraste....very stressful times indeed...and we still have a good 6 months of it, with waiting lists, appeals etc...interesting to read about accepting a place and still being able to appeal for another school

jeanc Wed 01-Nov-17 01:00:05

I feel I have just made a mess of this too - both the first two choices for my daughter I ended up putting down not going to be right I think, kept dithering up until the last minute and changing the order. It has been the most stressful thing! Anyone else had this experience? My daughter is adopted and the whole secondary school transfer thing is scary. I think it is too late to change the preferences but sounds like when the offer comes you can still put your name down on the waiting list for other schools so all is not lost??

TeenTimesTwo Wed 01-Nov-17 08:30:42

jeanc The good news is that as your DD is adopted, if you decide to go on the waitlist for any school after allocation you will be pretty much at the top of the list so would stand an excellent chance of getting in off the waiting list.
(Provisos: England/Wales, adopted from care in this country)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now