Talk

Advanced search

Chiswick Community School - anyone have kids there?

(33 Posts)
swanriver Sat 18-Sep-10 13:40:51

Any opinions good or bad on Chiswick Community School?

Hollylucysmum Mon 20-Sep-10 11:44:04

I have a friend whos son goes there, im not very impressed to be honest, the ofsted is not good and the curriculum in my opinion is poor, but i know of others who like the school

LetsEscape Mon 20-Sep-10 13:13:03

I don't have a child there but many friends who do. It was really improving under its previous head who left recently. The new head has not yet made a mark so it's a bit of wait and see. My friend's children seem happy there. It does not however have a good reputation outside school and the behaviour on local buses etc. is not great. Chiswick community school has always had a problem that it is in area where many children go to private schools at secondary level so it does not reflect the community that well.

witchwithallthetrimmings Mon 20-Sep-10 13:19:07

Over the years it has been really up and down, so i think you just have to visit and see for yourself

swanriver Mon 20-Sep-10 16:10:02

thanks everyone! The only people I know there have just done A-levels, so not quite sure what present footing was...I know it is ore difficult to get into than it once was...

swanriver Mon 20-Sep-10 16:10:33

more

BarryShitpeas Thu 26-Jan-12 10:37:50

Anyone with dc there or who works there know how things are with moving to Academy status?

mimbleandlittlemy Thu 26-Jan-12 11:43:09

Been round and twice heard the new head talk. I think he is very impressive and this year's results continue to show the school's steady improvement. Lots of friends with kids throughout the school from 6th form down to Y7 and they all sing its praises, though obviously there are sometimes ups and downs like with any school of any persuasion.

Behaviour wise I don't find them any worse on the bus and in the surrounds now than any other school including a couple of the local indie ones, and Tony Ryan is very tough on both behaviour and bullying and seems ruthless about dealing with any bad element.

Academy status will hopefully bring in the money to help redevelop it that it lost out on with the change of government.

BarryShitpeas Thu 26-Jan-12 12:01:04

Thanks, yes results are looking great.

That's brilliant about behaviour out of school, on the bus etc.

I am concerned about new pressures on the teaching staff that will undoubtedly come with changing to an academy.

Any CCS insiders on MN today?

SheHulk Thu 26-Jan-12 12:53:51

It may have to be our fallback option if everything else fails but my DS says he does NOT want to go there! sad Please note they don't do separate sciences till Yr9 and they also combine in one subject history and geography. Visited a top set maths class and was not impressed at all, students learning basic algebra which DS is doing now in Yr 5 in preparation for 11+. Apart from that, Yr 7 have their own little play area to get to know each other and not feel intimidated by the big ones which is a nice touch. I also found young teachers very enthusiastic and giving. I hear bright kids do well. Some parents are truly happy. Others not so much, saying they don't push their lazy DS enough.

mimbleandlittlemy Thu 26-Jan-12 14:51:22

Heard today that at least two other Hounslow schools are going to Academy status as well. Gumley and Isleworth & Syon. Wonder how many on the Isleworth/Brentford/Chiswick side of the borough will be left as non academies the way things are going. Oh well. There's always the Free School.

PrincessTamTam Fri 24-Feb-12 17:54:41

Am late to this but thought I should post anyway. 3 DSs at CCS - confirmed Academy status, so soon to become just Chiswick School.

Am very happy with this school. Last year's A Level results were outstanding, my lazy but fairly bright DS was pushed and got to uni to do the course he wanted.

DS2, who is not so academic has had the best time, he was at the very high achieving Belmont PS before where, frankly he felt "stupid". At Chiswick he has soared and found his confidence, he's had some fantastic teachers - as well as some rubbish ones (as in any school) - and has flourished. He's now about to take GCSEs with good predictions of mainly Bs with a smattering of As - this is something I never would have envisaged at Primary.

New head Tony Ryan is excellent and fully committed to further improving standards both pastorally and academically. DS3 has had some slight issues with his behaviour (mainly just showing off!) which they have dealt with extremely well and have clamped down on hard. Most of all it's a lovely school to walk into, its got a good feeling. The staff for the most part are very good, the head of English is particularly fantastic. Maths is very well taught as are languages, science and music. Just to clear this up - they do what is called Opening Minds during year 7 which is a combination of humanities subjects - history, geography and RS (I think) but not English which is taught separately. This was trialled during my DS2s first year and was found to be extremely successful for the transition to secondary education, so was rolled out the following year.

The school certainly suffers from the prejudice inherent in a very middle class area where a large proportion of children go to private schools. The comments about behaviour on buses are indicative of this, most schools (including the nearby Latimer Upper) would not be proud of the way large numbers of their pupils behave on buses at chucking out time - this is largely the general boisterousness of large groups of teenagers released from the school day.

Many local parents are extremely dismissive of Chiswick and comments like the one above of it being the "fallback option if everything else fails" are common, but as parents who actually CHOSE it above private schools for our children (shock horror!) because we wanted them to have a rounded education that wasn't just about pushing them to get the highest grades, but to do so in a real environment indicative of the richly cosmopolitan city in which they live, we frankly couldn't be happier. I also have to say my DS1 and every one of his friends, who have come out the other side, are a fantastic testament to our choice.

sinclair Fri 24-Feb-12 18:51:35

good to hear something so positive from a current parent - interesting to hear how the new head is working out, I last visited under the previous administration.

Can i ask about sport PrincessTT? DS (Y5) is very keen on football which apparently isn't taught at WLFS and obviously not on site at HA.

SheHulk Sat 25-Feb-12 17:56:23

Princess, apologies for my clumsy comment. It was not meant to be dismissive in any way but a description of our personal circumstance re our DS. At our primary, there are parents who are very happy with the school and have also chosen it above other options including independent schools. I am happy to hear your DC have done so well.

BellaBearisWideAwake Sat 25-Feb-12 18:00:02

Wow, I went to CCS. Left fifteen years ago though!!

adamshlong Tue 22-May-12 13:01:13

I agree with Princess TamTam - FANTASTIC school!

Recently a very positive Ofsted report:

http://www.chiswickschool.org/_files/5322802F1B737C6EA7EB6BED3CC57F89.pdf

Personally, I want my kid to go to a school where kids a bit raucous on a bus journey! (makes my skin crawl thinking of perfectly behaved kids on a bus home having no fun!). And Chiswick School has proven to be excellent for academic high achievers (Oxbridge etc all possible for high achievers!)

majurormi Tue 22-May-12 22:28:45

There is a big difference between children having fun and being respectful versus polite and well behaved.

BeingFluffy Fri 25-May-12 16:04:35

majurormi - I think you are right. Nobody minds children letting off steam, but I saw students from my younger DD's school making nasty comments about an overweight person on the bus recently and throwing a ball around on the upper deck - an adult took it and put it in the bin when they got off. A few months ago, I saw someone chuck a full large carton of juice down the stairs as well splattering people sitting there and a pram that was being moved to get off the bus.

BeingFluffy Fri 25-May-12 16:05:05

Meant to say, I know someone with kids at CCH and they are very happy with it.

PrincessTamTam Fri 25-May-12 16:27:08

I expect I am a little defensive as I hear SO many I'll informed negative comments about the school. They've just had good ofsted which new head was v keen on to show how far it's come.

Sport is pretty good and much improved since my oldest DS started. It has grass tennis courts and a large field on site which is a big bonus. Also large (but ageing) sports hall and re surfaced all weather cage plus large Tarmac playground area for netball/basketball etc. They use v nearby dukes meadows for games too and also rowing. Football - girls and boys is v competitive and teams do well also rugby, netball, hockey, cricket,rounders, athletics all represented.

Hope this helps, sorry took so long to answer!

gwalia Sun 22-Jul-12 22:02:11

My dd has been offered a place at Chiswick and I would be keen to hear more experiences - especially if you have a child who has just finished Y7. The school has a really friendly feel, but I was wondering about the amount of academic challenge.

kerrychiswick Wed 22-Jan-14 18:24:40

Hi

My Son has been attending Chiswick since September 2013. I was very worried hearing what local parents had to say. I spoke to a parent whose child is attending Chiswick and she said its a great school. I was still concerned. Today my Son has been offered a place a Christ. My first choice and when attending opening evening my Sons choice too. He is now adamant to stay at Chiswick and said he is happy there. He has had a couple of minor issue which have been resolved. As lots of parents have explained from there experiences its up to the individual child and not necessarily the school

TheMums Sat 08-Oct-16 04:29:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LauraWilding Fri 04-Nov-16 22:53:18

This school is on the verge of going into special measures.
Financial mismanagement and poor leadership.
Not looking good for this school

TheMums Fri 04-Nov-16 23:19:22

Can you confirm source?
What year is you DD/S?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now