Talk

Advanced search

Good & Bad areas of Paisley.

(59 Posts)
FloorLamp Thu 02-Aug-18 19:33:23

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking and what parts to steer clear off?

It's not my first choice I'll be honest but I'm finding nothing in my chosen area and seeing loads of houses for sale... Some quite nice, I just don't know the area.

I come from the other side of the water, I'll say west end for talking sake so I know very little about over that way! Budget is pretty tight too hence why I'm looking over there.

Any advice would be appreciated!

seb1 Thu 02-Aug-18 19:40:46

Where are you looking?

YeTalkShiteHen Thu 02-Aug-18 19:42:17

NOT Ferguslie Park!

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Thu 02-Aug-18 19:44:44

I left Paisley many years ago as my children were approaching school age and I didn't want to raise them there.

If I had to return, I would probably look at Bridge of Weir or Houston.

Alaaya Thu 02-Aug-18 19:47:28

Elderslie is nearby and I'm told is basically the 'nice' suburb. Honestly though, I'd be looking further out into Dumbartonshire or maybe bits of Ayrshire. Paisley isn't nice in bits and I don't like the schools there at all.

Disclaimer - I don't live there anymore. Used to, moved out, wouldn't go back.

Uglybear Thu 02-Aug-18 19:49:38

I live in Paisley, not one bad word to say about it!! Kids have done brilliant at school. Surrounded by lovely people. I'm in dykebar area.

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Thu 02-Aug-18 20:04:17

My Dh was born and grew up in Paisley. His parents followed us a few years after we moved to the East coast. He hasn't been back in years.

We lived in Elderslie. It was ok.

BohemianDream Thu 02-Aug-18 20:06:23

I am also from Paisley (not a very nice part) though my school was wonderful and I'd have no reservations about the schooling. There are certainly some housing schemes that I'd avoid if possible.
I'd say either Elderslie, Dykebar, Houston, Bridge of Weir or Kilbarchan would be nice areas to settle for (though I think some of those are more on the outskirts of Paisley).

Best of luck on your house hunt smile

titsbumfannythelot Thu 02-Aug-18 20:19:36

Where would your chosen location be?

FloorLamp Thu 02-Aug-18 20:45:23

Thanks guys!

My chosen areas I've been looking is actually Bridge of Weir and around that area. Out Dumbarton way also however I'm finding absolutely nothing that fits my budget and anything that is really doesn't appeal to me. Granted my budget is very low which doesn't help but i feel like I'm going to get stuck with something I really don't like just because it's all I can afford hence why I started looking at Paisley as some of the houses actually look quite nice.

I've just made a quick list of the 'good' areas of Paisley I could find however they are all too expensive which isn't surprising.

What about Linwood? Any thoughts.

aquamarine1 Thu 02-Aug-18 20:56:30

How many bedrooms are you looking for? Would you consider a flat? What's your rough budget? I'm house-hunting like mad so can try and help!

FloorLamp Thu 02-Aug-18 21:13:09

Well at the moment my budget is 120k max. Looking for at least 2 bedrooms. I'm leaving a flat so looking for a semi detached/end terrace preferably but would consider a mid terrace. Decent back garden is a must... That's one of the reasons I'm moving. Off Street parking would be a bonus!

See why I'm struggling...lol

What are you looking for yourself and where? smile

FloorLamp Thu 02-Aug-18 21:14:17

Oh and any tips or sites to check out that I may have missed? I think I'm on them all!

aquamarine1 Thu 02-Aug-18 21:17:51

Have you tried Kelvindale/Maryhill. This one here is in a lovely wee development https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74094587.html. A load on in Clydebank aswell.

We're looking for an extra bedroom and bigger garden round about West Glasgow - struggling!

Chocolategirl79 Thu 02-Aug-18 21:19:05

Have you tried Barrhead? It's outskirts of Paisley and it's ok. Disclaimer: I left a long time ago!!

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Thu 02-Aug-18 21:21:48

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50603570.html

Central and looks like a pleasant building.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55746552.html

This area (from memory) is ok.

Uglybear Thu 02-Aug-18 21:28:58

Potterhill is a lovely area. Oakshaw shit for parking.

Randomname28 Thu 02-Aug-18 21:31:59

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66694897.html

I used to live near this street and loved it, not sure what it’s like these days. It also has an Aldi 5 min drive away at the bottom of the road.

I would also look in Erskine area and Renfrew.

MotherofTerriers Thu 02-Aug-18 21:34:26

Lochwinnoch is nice. www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66291772.html

Quiet village, lovely countryside

Randomname28 Thu 02-Aug-18 21:34:59

Just seen you asked about Linwood as well. I live there and like it, lots of shops / facilities nearby.

MoreProsecco Thu 02-Aug-18 21:36:58

Ralston is ok, and the area around Barshaw Park

ClosedAuraOpenMind Thu 02-Aug-18 21:48:55

we lived in Oakshaw for years - nice old buildings and handy for the town centre, but our building had residents parking

parts of duke bar are nice, there's some nice bits up by the hospital, and also along the glasgow road and out to ralston

ClosedAuraOpenMind Thu 02-Aug-18 21:49:35

doh! dykebar not duke bar blush

ClosedAuraOpenMind Thu 02-Aug-18 21:51:47

oh and shortroods is almost as bad as ferguslie .....I used to work for the local paper and made frequent visits to these places for stories!

wildbhoysmama Thu 02-Aug-18 22:05:25

You will not get anything in Ralston for your budget, believe me, or around Barshaw park: It's mainly family houses which are lovely and expensive. We had more than double your budget and couldn't find anything in Ralston.
We're just along the road in Cardonald in a 1930s end terrace- i love it- but, again, you'll be outpriced. I reckon Maryhill a great shout or Clydebank - Duntocher or Old Kilpatrick or parts of Dalmuir are good bets. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: