Talk

Advanced search

Summer camps for teens, Glasgow

(12 Posts)
PolkerrisBeach Thu 21-Jun-18 12:23:31

Struggling to find something to keep my 15 year old odd the XBox all summer. He's not into sport or performing arts, which appears to be the focus of most of the summer clubs in this area.

Can anyone suggest anything? We're in East Dunbartonshire but happy to travel to get something good. Anything focused around science, history, computers, technology would be great. Or things like environmental improvement projects which would take a 15 year old without his mum. He does volunteer on a saturday at a charity shop, but thinking more of a week long monday-friday project thing.

gryffen Thu 21-Jun-18 12:32:06

Hiya - Glasgow based so thinking for you.

Glasgow science centre has a volunteer recruitment page?

If he loves history then maybe a local history club or even volunteer at Clan Ranald (budding actor?) as they do LOTS of movie parts like braveheart, Gladiator etc.

Young Scot volunteer at 2018 games?

Archaeology volunteer via Uni of Glasgow?

Just top of my head but only other option is a week away at a PGL holiday for himself and it's all sports and adventure based (I did Dalguise and still have great memories of availing, fencing etc).

PolkerrisBeach Thu 21-Jun-18 12:32:26

Oh and also something realistically priced - found an amazing looking one at Kelvinside academy but it's £1100 for 2 weeks. shock

PolkerrisBeach Thu 21-Jun-18 12:41:09

Thanks for the pointers - the barriers I'm coming up against again and again is that they want over 16s. (Probably for insurance and Child Protection which is understandable).

For the Science centre and 2018 volunteering it's 16 plus only. But his birthday is April so next summer will definitely be encouraging him to apply for similar.

gryffen Thu 21-Jun-18 12:48:28

Hi Polk- yeah that's a pain in the ass age wise and ouch to the £1100 for two week thing!!

I had similar issues at same age and drove me nuts since I'm January.

Will keep thinking!

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 21-Jun-18 12:53:12

Would he absolutely hate PGL? They have a place in Perthshire (Dalguise) my teen boys loved. And they still have friends they met there ten years ago.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 21-Jun-18 13:03:09

Dalguise is amazing- I have really fond memories of it.

PolkerrisBeach Thu 21-Jun-18 13:05:36

It's not that he'd hate PGL, it's that I'm reluctant to shell out for another "holiday". His siblings are booked in for a week's sports camp thing in the local leisure centre which is costing less than £100 each, I'm reluctant to pay a lot more for him to go away for the week. In previous years it's not been an issue as much as he's been away with Scouts or we've all been away together on a main family holiday.

There appears to be a real gap in the market for activities for 13 to 16 year olds which aren't residential and aren't sports/musical theatre.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 21-Jun-18 13:31:44

would he be interested in learning to code?

coding club east ren

PolkerrisBeach Thu 21-Jun-18 13:35:08

He's done Coder Dojo in previous years which is great but pitched at a younger age range. He's doing Nat 5 computing so it doesn't really push him and he gets frustrated being expected to coach the 8 year olds.

In previous years East Dun have put on animation classes and similar but the cutbacks mean there's less and less every year.

Will just have to draw up a list of chores to keep him busy...

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 21-Jun-18 16:11:28

Could he get himslef to and from Stirling?:

www.forthvalley.ac.uk/courses/creative-industries/sound-design-for-film-summer-school

user1487194234 Fri 22-Jun-18 19:39:39

We are doing the KA thing
£1100 sounds a lot but it sounds good and in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad
On the other hand if that's too expensive what is so bad about spending a few weeks on the XBox
It is their holiday!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: