Talk

Advanced search

Few days break with 3 kids in august in scotland - ideas?

(20 Posts)
Thierryhenryneedisaymore Thu 22-Feb-18 20:42:35

So, five of us, 2 adults, 2 x 5 year olds and 11 year old. Thinking of a short break in Scotland for around 5 days. Summer. Probably in August. Any suggestions for places to see are welcome. Suggested itinerary would be fantastic!

We will have car and we are not too bothered about being close to big cities, more a get away from it all holiday. Happy to drive about a little or 3 nights somewhere then two elsewhere for example.

Dont want to spend the earth but want some decent accommodation even if basic, close to beach, good scenery, things to do with kids ie bike hire possibly, walks, kids type attractions, near a town or at least not a long drive, and some decent places to eat out a few times. If we could get an boat trip in there that would be good. Happy to go fairly well up North.

Might be a big ask but thought i would ask for inspiration. Thank you in advance!

Littleelffriend Thu 22-Feb-18 20:48:15

Umm Scotland is quite big? It depends where you’re coming from. If you’re only here for a few days I presume you’re coming from the south? Therefore the highlands etc are out.

Elllicam Thu 22-Feb-18 20:51:26

I would pick near Aviemore, loads of walks, gorgeous lochs (google Loch Morlich), cycling, masses of kids activities. My 5 year old loves Landmark (forest themed theme park), the steam train in Boat of Garten and the funicular. It’s central enough that you can use it as a base to explore other areas too. We usually stay in Boat of Garten but Grantown on Spey is really pretty too and a bit bigger.

GetTaeBed Thu 22-Feb-18 20:59:11

Where are you coming from - even starting from central Scotland many of us woyld attempt 'up north' in 5 days as 2 would be solid driving. Second Aviemore. We also like Dumfries and Galloway around the Solway Firth, Mull and Morar area. A week on an island like Colonsay, Tiree or Coll is a good escape- nothing much to do, but bike about and go to the beach - but would depend on good weather.

GetTaeBed Thu 22-Feb-18 20:59:58

That should would not attempt up north!

Thierryhenryneedisaymore Thu 22-Feb-18 21:02:31

We have a birthday party to attend in glasgow and the date is not fixed but very likely early august, to be confirmed soon.

So we will be there for a couple of days and then wanted to move on elsewhere for 5 nights /probably 6 days elsewhere. Then back to glasgow just for an overnight then home.

As for where to stay, I dont mind breaking up journey with 2/2/1 nights or 3/2.

I understand it is fairly big (i am scottish) but it's been over 20 years since i lived there and i havent spent any holidays there since childhood so Millport/arran/ in my memories might not hold the same appeal as am adult with three kids in tow 😂

The information on my start point and end point would have been useful i guess!

CamberGirl Thu 22-Feb-18 21:05:59

Weymess Bay? Or around Ayr?
There's the dark sky park/forest up in the Galloway Hills.
Largs has a great Ice Cream shop, Nardinis.
It's difficult really as Scotland is just so large!

Thierryhenryneedisaymore Thu 22-Feb-18 21:07:41

Ellicam, thank you, i like the sound of that.

Gettaebed, im just remembering spending some time in Morar /mallaig many years ago. I loved the beach at Morar, think i recall a white sands of morar postcard ..... cant actually believe i forgot about that.

shakeyourcaboose Thu 22-Feb-18 21:09:45

I agree with @cambergirl s suggestion! And then do a wee trip to isles of arran or cumbrae?

Catastropheeee Thu 22-Feb-18 21:10:14

You might want to try one of the Argyll holiday parks. Drimsynie in Lochgoilhead or Hunters quay?

Personally, I prefer Drimsynie. It's a bit out of the way but the scenery is AMAZING! Inveraray is 25mins away. The George hotel there does amazing pub grub. There are some other nice places within 15-25min drive - the stagecoach inn at Cairndow and a fabulous chippy in Arrochar.

Loads for kids to do as there's a big centre with swimming pool, huge games room and a lot of kids activities throughout the day (like archery!) and entertainment at night.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 22-Feb-18 21:12:07

Arran? We have family there so went up a lot when our children were school age. If you like walking and are not too unlucky with the weather it's great. Glenashdale Falls in Whiting Bay, Lochranza Castle, climb Goatfell, Kildonan, Lamlash and Sannox beaches, adventure playground in grounds of Brodick Castle. (The castle itself is closed at the moment.)

For less good weather, there's the Isle of Arran Museum in Brodick, which organises a lot of special events in the summer, Auchrannie in Brodick has a pool and lots of other leisure/spa stuff, Lochranza distillery (perhaps not so interesting to children!).

Loads of other stuff too, and as you will know it wouldn't take you that long to get there from Glasgow.

aliceinwanderland Thu 22-Feb-18 21:28:12

Rhe Auchrannie on Arran?

aliceinwanderland Thu 22-Feb-18 21:29:59

Sorry. Try that again. THE Auchrannie in Arran.

Around Loch Tay is good too.

Or if you have time Mull? Calvary beach on Mill is one of the most beautiful places I've been to.

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 22-Feb-18 22:36:52

I'd say Aviemore area too. Loads to do with that age of kids. Beach at Loch Morlich and has water activities (kayaking/canoeing and sailing) plus outdoor stuff at Rothiemurcas, funicular railway, steam train, Landmark, Highland wildlife park, Highland Folk Museum is great too. I'd recommend the hilton coylumbridge, it has a pool (albeit a bit tired now) but also puts on entertainment and supervised activities for kids, has a big softplay attached too. At that age it was my boys favourite hotel in the world! grin

howabout Fri 23-Feb-18 14:05:02

Another vote for Aviemore.

Sturmundcalm Fri 23-Feb-18 14:11:18

Argyll - the Kintyre peninsula has stunning beaches and will be relatively affordable as there isn't much to do other than outdoors stuff (campbeltown does have a new cinema now though and the town hall has frequent events); or the Oban area will be dearer as it is v popular but has more to do and easy access to a wider range of islands.

Alternatively, the east neuk of Fife also has good beaches and has a slightly better rainfall average I think ;-)

Thierryhenryneedisaymore Fri 23-Feb-18 17:35:49

My internet has been down so couldn't get on here earlier.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, some great ideas. 👍

Pinkponiesrock Fri 23-Feb-18 17:38:26

Aviemore or St Andrews, both have lots to do and are close enough to Inverness and Dundee respectively to be able to visit both of them too.

WaxOnFeckOff Fri 23-Feb-18 18:02:09

Decent swimming pools in both Inverness and Dundee too.

FrogsSpawnofSanta Fri 23-Feb-18 18:06:51

Another one saying Aviemore. Lots to do and handy for Inverness. It is a beautiful area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: