Advanced search

Scottish land Registry question

(7 Posts)
raglansleeve Fri 09-Feb-18 09:34:30

We have just paid off mortgage (not a stealth boast, am ancient and it has been a long hard slog). We need to get the house registered to us with the land registry. Is this something we can do ourselves, or do we have to have a solicitor?

ttlshiwwya Fri 09-Feb-18 10:54:06

When we did this two years ago you couldn't do it yourself - you needed a solicitor. I got a few quotes and went with the cheapest. I can't remember exactly how much (£300-400). It took ages but I did say to him we weren't moving so no rush .

user1487194234 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:20:52

I think you do need a solicitor in Scotland but phone customer services at Registers of Scotland and ask them.
Solicitor likely to charge £150 plus VAT plus registration dues of £60

Redyoyo Fri 09-Feb-18 11:58:37

Who is the house registered to? In Scotland even if you have a mortgage the house is registered to you not the bank.
The mortgage is registered as a charge against the property. The mortgage company can provide you with a discharge deed to remove the charge and it costs £60 to register it in the land register.
Although unless your going to be taking out a new mortgage it's not a big deal to leave the charge on until there's going to be another transaction such as a sale of new mortgage.

Redyoyo Fri 09-Feb-18 12:01:53

Oh and you can do it yourself providing you complete the correct registration forms but if you don't get it right you will be charged a rejection fee of £30.

ttlshiwwya Fri 09-Feb-18 20:29:10

I checked and I paid £300 in total (£200+vat+£60 registration Fee(

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 12-Feb-18 11:21:08

I just left my mortgage on but with a zero balance. We'll do any changes as part of the overall thing when we sell up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: