Talk

Advanced search

Short holiday on west coast - Argyll?

(23 Posts)
Bloodybridget Mon 08-Jan-18 18:05:18

DP and I are doing a very short cruise round Mull in July, and want to extend the holiday for a few days afterwards. We love walking and nature, both retired, no need for lively nightlife! I was wondering about Arran. Any comments/suggestions? We'll be stopping over in Glasgow before returning home as we have family there.

Clarabumps Mon 08-Jan-18 18:09:18

I live near Arran and it is so so beautiful. I can see if from my bedroom window. I went for an overnight stay in Whiting Bay in September and I was only gone for 24 hours but it was like I'd had a weeks holiday.
There is a website called "the arran team" that have holiday let's and are pretty reasonable. It's lovely.

Bloodybridget Mon 08-Jan-18 18:12:28

Thanks Clarabumps! I'll talk to DP about it. It looks as though we could do the whole trip without a car, which would be a bonus.

Clarabumps Mon 08-Jan-18 19:15:26

There are loads of buses in Arran and nice places to eat. If you like walking, you could do Goat Fell?
It's not too hard. I haven't climbed it myself but my 10 year olds karate club has. How hard can it be? Lol!

MoreProseccoNow Mon 08-Jan-18 20:00:45

Arran is great, especially if you can stay at Auchrannie for a treat. It's very do-able without a car.

Bloodybridget Mon 08-Jan-18 20:54:17

My Rough Guide suggests Goat Fell might be slightly beyond our capabilities! But I can see there is lots of good walking around the island. MoreProsecco am going to Google Auchrannie right now - many thanks to you both.

AgentProvocateur Mon 08-Jan-18 21:12:47

Arran is one of my favourite places to go for the weekend (from Glasgow). There’s loads to do, and great places to eat and drink.

Bloodybridget Tue 09-Jan-18 02:22:54

It's sounding better and better - eating and drinking both high on my list of holiday activities.

Clarabumps Tue 09-Jan-18 07:23:27

The Pierhead Tavern in Lamlash is good for food and a wee pint. Went there the last time and the food was delicious.

Lessstressedhemum Tue 09-Jan-18 10:42:25

Arran is fabulous. Loads to do, plenty of beautiful walking, nice places to eat, good buses and ferry service. It is a lovely place. I can see it from my Windows and love looking at the beautiful view.

georgedawes Tue 09-Jan-18 10:45:29

Another vote for Arran from me! It's beautiful and not that crowded. There's a coastal path if you fancy walking around the island too!

georgedawes Tue 09-Jan-18 10:51:02

Are you on the train? Other options are getting the train to Fort William and then going on the Jacobite train from there to Mallaig. Mallaig itself isn't the prettiest place but the train line is amazing - it goes over the Glenfinnan viaduct. You could also stay near Loch Lomond if you wanted to go that way instead.

Bloodybridget Tue 09-Jan-18 18:30:04

Thanks again for all the advice. I need to talk to DP about it, she is never as keen to plan ahead as I am!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 09-Jan-18 22:58:27

I bloody love Argyll but get pee'd off with Arran as it is often overrun with tourists. Definitely consider Kames, Tighnabruiach, Portavadie or Tarbert for beautiful unspoilt beaches and forest walks.

Bloodybridget Wed 10-Jan-18 13:25:08

Troll my SIL who lives in Glasgow reckons you can escape the crowds in the north and west of the island, what do you think? It would be easier for us to go to Arran than to head north from Oban, we have to get home to London by 20th July.

georgedawes Wed 10-Jan-18 14:47:53

We went to Arran in May last year and it was not at all busy. Stayed at the southern tip and it was brilliant. Much busier (but all relative) in the main times, but nothing like Skye! Roads were empty apart from a few cyclists.

thedevilinablackdress Wed 10-Jan-18 16:17:33

Check out the Cowal Peninsula. Some great places to eat on Loch Fyne and generally a lot quieter than Arran (lovely tho it is)

Bloodybridget Wed 10-Jan-18 17:30:36

thedevilinablackdress we have had a couple of trips to Loch Fyne, agree it's lovely!

thedevilinablackdress Wed 10-Jan-18 17:52:41

Went to the Oystercatcher pub in Otter Ferry - lovely food in a gorgeous setting.

Bloodybridget Wed 10-Jan-18 20:34:07

Ah that sounds familiar - think we went there!

WaxOnFeckOff Wed 10-Jan-18 22:56:21

These were taken on a beach near Tighnabruich. Lovely part of the country.

Veronicat Sun 11-Feb-18 09:06:17

Visit Machrie Moor on Arran. It's fantastic. Full of standing stones and circles.

Bloodybridget Sat 24-Feb-18 07:01:37

Thanks for the photos! We have another opportunity to get to Arran later in August so may do it then and possibly stay further north in July.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: