Talk

Advanced search

Glasgow private schools

(7 Posts)
Ol288 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:33:34

Hi all
It's been a stressful few months and we have made the decision to move our daughter from her high school.

Looking at Hutchesons Grammar and St Aloysius. We are keen on a medium size school which is nurturing and has good pastoral care support. Anyone with any experience of either schools?

Thanks.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Wed 06-Dec-17 21:19:31

I'd choose St Aloysius over Hutchesons. I had a lot of friends at Hutchesons and neither they nor I can fathom what on earth their parents paid for.

Ol288 Thu 07-Dec-17 00:10:29

That's interesting. Why do you say that?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 07-Dec-17 14:20:19

I think they expected it to give them a head start and open up better opportunities later in life but really they did as well as anybody else in their exams etc.

From a mental health perspective the knowledge that your parents are paying through the nose for you to attend can be quite stressful.

Would she not be better jst switching high school or going to East Ren? ?

Lidlfix Thu 07-Dec-17 16:25:54

How does the (constant) emphasis on Jesuit philosophies sit? There is Wee holy statement that they have to sign each piece of work off with. But then I'm a state school teacher thinking of my Wee spuds who might struggle to write that in a lesson.

Ol288 Sun 10-Dec-17 11:32:36

Thanks for your replies. Good to hear various opinions. I agree it can be financially stressful.
We did think about switching schools but a bit disillusioned with the local school system. My daughter will do well academically anywhere ... it's the other bits that I am worried about.

I am not Catholic but don't oppose their philosophies. Good ones to live by I think.

WaxOnFeckOff Sun 10-Dec-17 15:39:26

I am not Catholic but don't oppose their philosophies. Good ones to live by I think.

The cover up of the rape of children kind of does that in for me. imo you will get the best pupil support in the schools covering more deprived areas (always a hit or a miss though and just going on what friends and colleagues tell me) but your DD would be unlikely to get that as she already has parental support. She would be far down the list. I think you are left with just finding a school where she has the opportunity to make friends that are of a similar mindset to her. She will get more support from a decent friendship group than from school/teachers who will probably have higher priorities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now