Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Scotland... Tips?

(18 Posts)
Xqst Mon 06-Nov-17 16:24:03

Hey! newcomer here, hope you're all doing well. Im 23yo, im from Portugal and i've always had a dream to work/live abroad (UK pref) and therefore decided to go to Scotland not only because its a beautiful country , but also because i have always been attracted to it.

The thing is , i've never even gotten out of Portugal (not even to visit anything) and therefore im a bit "scared" on what should i do first and most of all where to go, im going to visit it in January for a few days and get to know the country a bit before actually moving in as i'm going without any job offer or friends there.

So i was hoping you guys could give me a few tips on what to do/expect , and mainly what city to go to and which specific area (preferred a budget and friendly location, a bit away from the center of any city with good means of transportation , a good employment % and friendly people)

Thanks
Best Regards!

cdtaylornats Mon 06-Nov-17 18:08:22

If you don't have a job you could consider teaching Portuguese www.firsttutors.com/uk/languages/region/scotland/portuguese-teachers.php

I would try one of the smaller cities - Stirling or Dundee

BastardTart Mon 06-Nov-17 18:38:17

What type of job are you looking for?

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 06-Nov-17 18:42:33

Few questions: What kind of job are you looking for?
What is your housing budget?

If you're coming to visit, definitely do the big two- Glasgow and Edinburgh. Both have good transport to airports,trains etc for getting around.

If it's a quieter more rural lifestyle (Highlands and Islands) that you fancy there is plenty of hospitality recruitment in these areas. Some come with accommodation.

It really depends on what you want to get from your trip/what you imagine Scotland to be.

Xqst Mon 06-Nov-17 19:08:10

Hi! Id like to hereby thank you all for your answers, I'm actually going to Edinburgh for 4 nights on January to get the know the country a bit.
And teaching Portuguese wouldn't be that bad of an idea actually...

I've worked in about everything to be honest. Currently working as an hotel night auditor. But worked as an IT tech , sales , customer support for apple , cashier... etc

Looking for something on a budget "house related and place related" as I am still to get a job there, but probably would aim for an hotel or something...

Best regards

duck94 Sat 18-Nov-17 17:12:28

Woah! I would have a good long time visiting here before you decide that you want to move. That is a big change to make. As someone who was born here and has lived here most of my life, I would honestly say that apart from the nicer parts of Edinburgh and Glasgow, you are likely to be quite shocked. Many of of Scotland's towns are really quite charmless.

Notreallyarsed Sat 18-Nov-17 17:14:18

Perth is lovely

Nyx Sat 18-Nov-17 22:12:21

Duck94 - I disagree with your statement that 'many of Scotland's towns are really quite charmless'. Sounds like you're trying to put the OP off. I find that most places I go are more interesting the more I look at them and find out about them. Scottish towns included. If you find them all charmless then that tells me more about your outlook than the towns.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 18-Nov-17 22:16:25

OP Scotland is beautiful and it's cities and towns are most certainly not charmless hmm

However, you may want to wait and see what happens with Brexit before you make any commitments sad

Xqst Sat 18-Nov-17 22:19:51

I've got these ones then:
Partick
Shawlands
Finnieston
Perth

These seem to be the best according to my conditions right?

Best regards

cdtaylornats Sat 18-Nov-17 22:44:37

You could try somewhere on the Ayr - Glasgow line.

Troon for example has a few nice hotels with lots of golfers coming through.

Ryanair flies from Prestwick to Faro.

Xqst Sat 18-Nov-17 23:12:12

I'm from Porto, I'm going to Edinburgh on January, just to visit tho, for starters... People have recommended those 4 places I described above due to what I worked as, my age and by being a cheap place yet beautiful with high employment percentage. And I hate gold grin I'm more of a soccer fanatic smile

Xqst Sat 18-Nov-17 23:13:30

Golf I mean*

duck94 Sat 18-Nov-17 23:22:34

I am urging caution, not trying to put the OP off. Just think she should go into it with her eyes open. I honestly think a great deal of Scotland is very bleak and depressing. Especially in comparison to England, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland. I could go on.

Xqst Sun 19-Nov-17 01:09:50

I thank you for your word of caution, many friends of mine have been to scotland and they really liked it, and from what I've seen it's really beautiful. I'm most of all looking for a country that's better to live in other than Portugal. I really love my country, but this is a place to "survive and not to live " and knowing that there's a better place (plus I love it) to do so right "around the corner" why not? smile

Notreallyarsed Sun 19-Nov-17 08:55:23

If you’re a soccer fanatic may I suggest the east end of Glasgow (it’s where Celtic Park is) grin

prettybird Sun 19-Nov-17 15:21:03

Of the four Glasgow locations you mention, I'd say that Shawlands meets your requirements most closely: vibrant, multi-cultural neighbourhood, with lots of eateries and apparently, I'm too old and boring wink nightlife, with easy access in to the city centre, yet reasonably priced with lots of lovely tenement flats to rent and parks close by to give you green space.

Xqst Sun 19-Nov-17 20:57:23

Not much of a celtic fan grin

Yea great, I was really leaning towards Shawlands, glad you think that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now