Talk

Advanced search

National 5 pressure!

(13 Posts)
LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 13:23:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WaxOnFeckOff Sat 21-Oct-17 16:28:38

It's a hard one because imo/e, a lot of this stuff is very arbitrary. Also be aware that they may use these "grades" in terms of assessing whether you can go for a remark. It would certainly be worth asking the teacher if marks on her class work and homework are reflecting a B and what can be done to raise that. The effort scores I don't hold much confidence in. DS2 says he's had 6s (top score) for effort for subjects that he doesn't work hard in but is good at. 4s and 5s where he's been working hard but isn't good at and also a 6 for a subject where they said he was working hard, he says he could have tried harder and he got a no award for in the exam.

His view is that it depends on whether they like you or not, what mood they are and who else they've given what to. If she was getting a 1 or 2 then I'd be concerned.

DS1 got As in loads of subjects (including English) at Nat 5 where he'd only got a C at prelim (he basically didn't bother with the prelims).

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 16:35:42

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 21-Oct-17 16:37:48

Effort gratings are sooo arbitrary though, and don't actually have anything to do with the final result (as far as I'm aware). So even having that discussion is putting your effort in the wrong place. As the pp said, far better to talk about where her performance is and how that can be improved. What does DD think? Is she coasting? If she's really not that bothered, all you can do is highlight the grades she needs to achieve her ambitions and let her get on with it, tbh. Even if that means getting a B.

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 16:44:44

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 21-Oct-17 17:03:05

If you don't think she's coasting, then maybe the teacher is absolutely right and a B is the right target for her? I know it's stressful, honestly I do, but at this stage you just can't micro-manage it. It's her exams, her work, her grades.

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 17:09:01

Munxx Sat 21-Oct-17 17:21:58

Is she is S4? Could it just be the change from BGE to N5? DO you know if they started N5 work in S3? Quite often children dip at change of level until they get used to a change in subject content, cohort in the class and indeed the teacher. The best thing to do is to go onto the SQA website, download the course documents and have a look at those alongside the past papers. I do believe it is never to early, there is a great site within the SQA website for parents, may help your DH as well.

Let me know if you have trouble navigating, I can post a direct link.

Try not to worry, easily said when not my own child I realise.

howabout Sat 21-Oct-17 17:26:04

Agree with others on arbitrariness of approach to targets and it is worth raising with teacher as even within the same school different teachers and subjects have different approaches within my DDs' school.

More generally the English syllabus is a lot more specific than when I sat it 30 years ago. It really is about focus and analysis of set texts and a fair amount of work preparing and researching the creative and persuasive portfolio pieces.

The work as set by the school should be plenty to contend with and more effective than general "more high quality reading" iyswim.

Superjaggy Sat 21-Oct-17 19:57:51

I agree with pps about effort not being something to get too worried about - at the end of the day the exam markers can only mark what’s in front of them and if your DD is able in English then she may well be cruising a bit at this stage, but she will still be capable of producing work worthy of an A .

With regard to reading books, you could always encourage your DD to read more at home on the basis that it will help her writing / vocab, but the focus in class is more likely to be on critical analysis of shorter texts and if she’s coping well with these she’ll be absolutely fine.

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 20:22:12

Lidlfix Sat 21-Oct-17 21:30:04

English teacher and battle scarred warrior (maw) of 4DDs, including a current S4. Where I teach and school where DDs attend it’s all effort.

If I could choose a system it wouldn’t be that one.

I look at my DD3 (S4) gets top effort grade for Maths and Physics for forthcoming Nat 5. Is spending 4+ hours per night on those subjects. Yes her efforts are off the scale but the reality is she is struggling if she gets a C for Physics and B for Maths that’ll be amazing.

Can churn out History and Modies stuff nae bother. Feels passionate, fascinated doesn’t feel like work etc.

When it comes to SQA they neither know nor care how much effort she put in .

Can I ask an honest question about her reading? Do you think she says anything or gives off a vibe about not reading?

Good readers write well, good writers read. Her folio (30%) will need to demonstrate her ability to use techniques. If she doesn’t read how can she expect to be exposed to literary devices?

The way RUAE papers are going there is no place to hide for non readers. Lots of own words questions which means candidates can’t hide behind formulaic answers.

One of my favourite Higher essays was a persuasive piece on why the curriculum was killing her love for literature. I couldn’t help but agree. That said, surely there are vloggers, bloggers etc who have views which resonate with her? Can she think about the points they make and how they express them?

That said, you are clearly concerned about your DD and her progression in English. Can you capitalise on her interests? Exploit her competitive side?

I have a (shitload) of resources which I’ll happily share if you want.

LindyHemming Sun 22-Oct-17 09:52:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now