Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Higher Music help!

(10 Posts)
WaxOnFeckOff Mon 16-Oct-17 20:17:43

Ds2 is crashing Higher Music. he has to hand in a draft of his composition on Friday. He seems to think that he needs to record this to hand in but really isn't sure what he is doing. He's written it in tab but is then stuck. He thought of recording it on his phone but doesn't seem keen to give his teacher that for her to listen to it on.

I am sure there is an easy solution but not being musical i'm not sure. He mumbled something about garageband app but isn't sure how that works and also thinks he'd need to convert all his tab to notes (?).

He says he will have to add in other instruments at some point too.

Anyone know what their DC have used/are using?

PringlesPirate Tue 17-Oct-17 13:28:02

When I studied higher music, they let us compose on sybelius software on a PC.

Has the teacher not given them any idea of formats they will accept?

GarageBand is great though. Apple/iPhone app and I find it quite user friendly.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 17-Oct-17 13:41:03

I don't really rate her to be honest but also DS is not the best at making sure he undersatnds what needs to be done.

We looked a bit further into the GarageBand stuff last night and I found instructions on how to email whatever he did. What he didn't like about it was the tap/strum thing in it. He is doing the Bass and Guitar as his instruments and seems to want to play his instrument rather than use the facility on the app.

I've said to him that in my opinion they are not looking to assess his playing abilities just his composition so using whatever is on the app should be fine.

I've asked him to check with the teacher today if he sees her.

I'm just glad that he isn't asking on Thursday night and that he is actually asking rather than just ignoring it and hoping it goes away which was his behaviour pattern with lots of things last year.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 17-Oct-17 13:41:39

Thank you btw - just realised i didn't actually say that! blush

PringlesPirate Tue 17-Oct-17 17:09:45

GarageBand can let you play instruments if you record then on the amp or mic function.

For composition, I reckon the teacher will want to see how the parts mix together and use of time signature and dynamics (volume).

PringlesPirate Tue 17-Oct-17 17:12:11

musescore is free music writing software, which my musical friends use and swearby

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 17-Oct-17 20:39:36

Thank you Pringles, I'll pass on that info smile

musicalmama Thu 09-Nov-17 15:17:31

I’m a music teacher and you actually don’t need Music written down at all. He can draft some tab, write a chord pattern and lyrics if he wants, maybe a bass line and drum part again doesn’t have to be written in proper musical notation. However, a recording is essential if you are doing this approach so a teacher can see and hear how it’s to sound. This is known as a performance plan and is a perfectly acceptable way to do his composition. Hope that helps. Also, record on phone and email it to the teacher. Sorry I’m late to the party.

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 09-Nov-17 23:11:08

Thank you musicalmama I believe he's sorted it out. Also managed to find backing tracks for his performance pieces minus the bass so just needs to decide what he is doing for his guitar bits and fingers crossed. It's parent's night next week so hopefully that will be helpful in knowing if he is keeping up with it all.

rogueantimatter Sat 18-Nov-17 09:31:08

DS wrote a piece for drum, bass and trumpet. He played the bass part, friends did the other parts. It was recorded, in separate parts at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now