Talk

Advanced search

Accounting entry level work in Scotland - which exams?

(5 Posts)
Squirmy65ghyg Wed 04-Oct-17 19:39:44

Hi,

I currently work in industry doing non UK taxes.

I do very little accounts based work as part of my role. I have ATT and a unrelated degree.

I would like to move to doing accounts with the view to getting an entry level position, working my way up and then becoming an accountant eventually.

The local college offers a HNC and HND part time /distance learning but I have read that AAT is much more highly regarded?

Any advice on the best course to take please?

Thank you.

Squirmy65ghyg Thu 05-Oct-17 22:23:57

Bump

PoppyPopcorn Fri 06-Oct-17 08:39:18

I don't think this is a Scottish-specific thing to be honest, as far as I know the tax and acounting laws and rules are UK wide. It's not something I know much about - maybe ask on a more general board?

decena Sun 08-Oct-17 15:31:46

Wouldn't suggest HNC or HND, better ACCA or CA, try to get a position in a firm that will assist you in your training. You no longer even need a degree, my firm ( large ) will take a school leaver through to Chartered (6 years ) and we are always keen to get folk in the door. BUT a lot of early accounts prep work is dead boring! If you are already ATT why not move to practice ? International tax folk are usually in demand in the city firms. What do you do think doing accounts is better? Why not go through CHartered tax exams? Good tax people are hard to find and will atttact a good pay premium.

Squirmy65ghyg Mon 09-Oct-17 09:38:05

Thanks both.

I live in a small city and can't/don't want to move (LP, DC settled, family ties are here) - the only places that do international tax here are my company and one other that I have already approached and been turned down.

I couldn't do CTA in my current role - I found ATT difficult enough, as I did it "blind" so to speak, I had very little practical experience of the syllabus. I tried to move to practice about 18m ago unsuccessfully, I think this was due to a lack of accounts experience and also my salary is fairly high just now. Also, that was through recruiters, I might have had a better chance sending out my CV.

But, I am 99% sure my job won't exist either through redundancy or the company closing in max of 1 years time, therefore the need to do something else.

I considered doing a paralegal course but am not convinced there would be work at the end of it.

I also considered getting IFA type work and doing those exams.

Basically I need to be able to self fund something so I have a qualification when my job here stops, and I need something where I can work my way up. My current pay is approx 30k and I'm well aware entry level accounts positions won't pay that.

I don't mind taking a temporary pay cut then working my way up again.

There are always jobs for accounts assistants etc, so I thought this was a prudent choice.

Any more advice would be gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now