Talk

Advanced search

Considering relocating...

(7 Posts)
ARC01 Wed 20-Sep-17 00:27:05

Hi. I'm looking for some advice. We currently live in the south west of England with DH working away for 2 weeks at a time. We are considering relocating to Scotland next year to all be together as a family. We have a DD who is 12 yrs old, so understand that this could be difficult for her but she's happy to consider a move.

DH originally comes from Fife and all his family still live there. We are considering Stirlingshire area but not too sure where to start!

We currently live in a small town very close to the sea. Not close to shops or big supermarkets, which I miss! I would like to be closer to these things but not right in a city as we would miss the space around us. Also want to find a good secondary school for DD.

Is it hard for an English child to settle and make friends in a Scottish school? Would be welcome? I'm in such a muddle over what to do and where to go!

I lost my mum very suddenly at Christmas and this has left me finding it very hard to cope and needing a fresh start for all of us.

Thanks for any advice offered xxsmile

OldGuard Wed 20-Sep-17 00:34:18

Hmmm Am interested Too - so I might hang out here for a bit ...

RenaissanceBunny Wed 20-Sep-17 00:44:32

I grew up in Clackmannanshire (to the east of Stirling). It is a lovely part of the world to grow up in. Stirling is a nice enough small city but is currently having a bit of a downturn. The shops are fine but a bit limited and fairly small (i.e. Next etc. aren't huge). However, Stirling is a fairly nice city in which to be a teen as it is small enough to go about on your own/ with friends without parents worrying too much, it has a cinema and train station. Supermarkets - Stirling has a medium sized Tesco, a large Morrisons, a big enough Sainsburys. There is a fair smattering of co-ops etc. in the villages around and about. The Ochils and trossachs are close by if you're outdoorsy. I can't really comment on the secondaries but in general unless there is a real and pressing reason not to (i.e. bullying) everyone goes to their closest school.

cdtaylornats Wed 20-Sep-17 08:44:03

As long as you are in the central belt and hour in the train would take you to Glasgow or Edinburgh. If you are in Stirling both.

If your DD is going into 1st year of secondary then it will be full of kids from different primaries who have never met each other.

Stirling has a Lidl and an Aldi as well.

WaxOnFeckOff Wed 20-Sep-17 09:15:07

Depends on your budget really. Stirling area is a great place to be located in terms of getting to everywhere. You could consider Dunblane and Bridge of Allan which give you villagey-ness but with great access to all the local amenities. There are plans for the shopping centre to expand the size of the Next store and there is also a debenhams, H&M, boots, Fat Face, Superdry, M&S etc. Not the biggest of stores but a reasonable variety. We have every supermarket except Asda, the nearest one being along the road in Alloa. We hav a Waitrose and TKMaxx too.

Very compact for getting aout, and can get the train in from Dunblane or BofA, it only takes a couple of minutes to get in.

Plenty of sport/leisure facilities as well as cinema/nandos.frankie and bennies etc for the teens.

I'd also look at the area around Stirling High catchment.

BofA catchment is Wallace but placing requests to Dunblane are usually granted. Wallace is a very sporty school and Dunblane more academic.

Becasue it's a university town then there tends to be different nationalities about though the poorer areas tend to be less mixed ime.

In my street we have a mix of Scots, English, Italian, Indian, South African, Canadian etc. Having an English accent is reasonably common and not something that any DC I know have ever had an issue with.

Transport to Edinburgh or Glasgow is fairly straightforward and quick (Glasgow a little quicker) depending on where you need to get to.

Happy to help with any specifics, just let me know.

ARC01 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:43:57

Thank you so much x

morningtoncrescent62 Wed 20-Sep-17 11:43:26

Will you or your DH need to commute anywhere for work, ARC01? I don't know Stirlingshire at all, so I can't help there, but if you want or need to be close to Edinburgh, Portobello (east side of Edinburgh) and the towns on the East Lothian coast might be worth considering.

Portobello is Edinburgh's seaside and it's a fantastic place to live, very welcoming and friendly and increasingly cosmopolitan, and a 20-minute bus ride from the city centre. I moved here from southern England as an SP with two DDs about 18 years ago and haven't regretted it for a moment. The nearest secondary school, Portobello High, now has a swanky new building - my own DDs did well there, and I have friends who have children still in the school and all are very happy with it. If you want to be further out, you could look at Musselburgh and Dunbar, and if you have a bigger budget, the more expensive areas around North Berwick and Gullane (gorgeous but pricey).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now