Talk

Advanced search

P7 proms - WTF??

(33 Posts)
MacarenaFerreiro Wed 28-Jun-17 08:41:06

Last day of term - hooray!! And lots of pics of happy P7s moving on to senior school. Our school had a Christmas P7 dance )in the school hall, party gear) and the school took the kids bowling last week as an end of school treat. In this area that's the norm.

A FB friend who lives elsewhere in Scotland was posting pics of her daughter at the "P7 prom" in a local hotel/function room, suits/kilts for the boys, very posh dresses for the girls, hair, make-up, nails, jewellery the lot. FB friend lives in a fairly deprived ex-mining village where there is high unemplyment and not much cash sloshing around. The parents must have spent a packet on this P7 prom.

When did this become a "thing"? The secondary school here has a "prom" for S6 leavers, although I still think they call it a Leavers' Dance. Last year it was held in a hotel in town and yes they all dressed beautifully and did the whole hair and make-up thing, but there were no limos or other extravagances. my friend's daughter got a lift from her dad, and the girls all got together to do each other's hair and make-up. And these are 18 year olds, not 12 year olds.

So are proms the thing where you are? I'm very glad they're not here.

OhFuds Wed 28-Jun-17 08:47:02

Thankfully my DC's school doesn't have them, for the end of P7 the kids choose what they want to do. My DD had a beach party (in the school hall) and my DS went to M&D's.

Falconhoof1 Wed 28-Jun-17 09:12:10

We have an evening of bowling or lazor quest and pizza hut. Can't imagine many P7s that I know wanting to dress up and go dancing! Does seem strange.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 28-Jun-17 09:16:29

It's a big thing here - lots of friends have been posting pictures of 'Qually dances'. Our school has a trip chosen by the kids instead, much more sensible. (I have to say that most of my friends kids of that age are PFBs and the parents have been shock at the effort and expense involved)

FlipFlopsReady Wed 28-Jun-17 10:52:07

I have to say I think they're ridiculous- even more so when 99% of the class are going on to the same high school.

I nearly fainted when I saw a photograph on FB from an acquaintance- her daughter looked about 21. I was really taken aback.

MrsRedFly Wed 28-Jun-17 11:10:39

Our school has a prom - but it's at school & parents decorate the hall & get pizza for them! Don't think anyone is arriving by limo?

We did have to search for a dress for a 12 year old that was grown up for her but not too grown up for me - that was a challenge!

MacarenaFerreiro Wed 28-Jun-17 11:53:45

When I was in P7 (in the dark ages) we had a P7 Qually dance in the school hall at Christmas. I get that some people call it a party, or a prom, or a qually and it's all pretty much the same thing, low key in the school, no fuss.

But the hair/make-up/nails/jewellery/limo stuff seems to be more of a "thing" in the last 10 years. Totally crazy for 11 and 12 year olds.

OOAOML Wed 28-Jun-17 12:34:10

We had nothing when I left primary (I'[m 44) but others my generation seem to have had dances at school. At high school there was a leavers' dance, but in the school hall and fairly low key (although some girls had on ballgowns - that were fairly obviously recycled bridesmaid dresses).

When DD left primary they had a bowling night out and then at the end of term disco there was an extra hour just for P7. I'm glad we haven't had the pressure for big events, although I know other schools in Edinburgh have.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 28-Jun-17 15:31:04

The school down the road does the limo/fake tan/big dress thing. I was completely shocked when I saw the photo up in a friend's house a couple of years ago. Agree, it's crazy.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 28-Jun-17 15:35:33

Ours had a do in a local hotel, disco and buffet.
I spent around £80 on Dd's outfit but I still wear it! (Superdry dress, sequinned converse)
That was 4 years ago.

MacarenaFerreiro Wed 28-Jun-17 15:40:20

Oh yes, forgot the fake tan. confused The orange look is never good on anyone, especially an 11 year old.

Who is pushing this hotel, buffet, limo, fake tan, expensive outfits thing? Is it coming from the kids, or coming from the parents??

FlippingBottleFlippers Wed 28-Jun-17 17:30:01

One of mine has just finished P7 and had a leavers "Prom". It was essentially a disco with pizza buffet and snacks in the school hall which had been decorated in a Hollywood theme. The head teacher discourages OTT outfits, make up etc and limousines are banned as the catchment is very diverse. It's been on the go for years and the staff put it on as opposed to PTA as a send off for the kids. The kids love it and generally most comply with the directive to stay age appropriate and not spend a fortune. It is really hard to dress girls that age though!

ManchesterBee Wed 28-Jun-17 17:34:11

Ours went to Frankie and Bennys paid for by PTA. The girls dressed up with hair, nails and makeup and boys went in jeans and trainers...

Noofly Wed 28-Jun-17 20:11:32

I'm in West Lothian and P7 proms are a big thing here. Limos, full make up, high heels, big puffy or tight fitting slinky dresses, tuxes etc.

DC go to a day school in Edinburgh and they have a P7 dance. Limos are banned and girls are encouraged to wear what I would call a tea dress. The boys wear a mix - some kilts but mostly nice trousers and polo shirts.

LordPercy Wed 28-Jun-17 20:29:22

My current school doesn't do a P7 prom but I can bet they will be limos waiting at 12 o'clock tomorrow for some of the leavers hmm. Our P7s have had a host of activities this week including a fantastic show they put on themselves so there's been no time for a prom. My last school had their P7 prom tonight in the local British Legion hall if I recall correctly 😀

ItsNachoCheese Wed 28-Jun-17 20:32:10

When i was in p7 in 2003 we had a prom it was hosted by each local primary school in rotation. There were at the time 5 but my old school isnt standing anymore

Groovee Wed 28-Jun-17 21:04:11

We've always had Quallies which were apparent a qualifying dance. Dd and Ds had a ceilidh with a buffet in school then parents hired a hall and disco for another 90 mins before they went home. We had limos too. It was the done thing at their school. Dd had a dress and Ds was in a kilt.

MacarenaFerreiro Wed 28-Jun-17 22:02:17

limos waiting at 12 o'clock tomorrow for some of the leavers

That's even more WTF than a prom!! Our P7 leavers today all charged out of school with polo shirts covered in sharpie signatures and then went to McD's for lunch. Not a limo in sight.

cdtaylornats Wed 28-Jun-17 22:30:46

My sister is a dressmaker and used to make a fortune out of prom dresses. Now it's mostly alterations because the prom goers get their big sisters prom dress.

She still makes a bit but she feels sorry for the boys.

mayoli Wed 28-Jun-17 22:32:37

I had a P7 prom when I left primary school! I thought it was normal!

We had a party in the gym when I was in p7 that was nearly 30 years ago now.
A few of the school around here do proms with all the trimmings it seems excessive. Dd did a leavers assembly at the end of p7 and ds1 will do the same next year the head doesn't like the Americanism of a lot of these things. I did ask him why then do I have a photo of my youngest 'graduating' nursery in a cap and gown grin

DunedinGirl Thu 29-Jun-17 07:35:28

Ugh. No. We had a little disco and that was it. No dressing up or makeup or fake tan thank god.

MrsJayy Thu 29-Jun-17 07:43:52

Dd is 24 and they had a p7 prom is was meant to be a hollywood night but of course there was frocks and limos it causedme more stress than anything was a total hoha was just a party in the hall tbf. Kids seemed to love it but I think dds years seemed to start it the year before it was a bbq. Saw on a woman on stv2 chat show who has a prom charity for kids who cant afford it i thought thats kind then thought ffs its primary 7 confused

MrsJayy Thu 29-Jun-17 07:45:52

From what I gather our school has now scaled it right back last year they had a pj party and movie night or something.

MrsJayy Thu 29-Jun-17 07:49:49

Dd2 the girls fell out with her and told her she wasnt getting in the limo 1 of the parents phoned me apologising saying ofcourse she could go in but poor Dd was really upset and didn't want to. Like i said total hoha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now