Talk

Advanced search

Bridge of Allan schooling

(8 Posts)
user1496093149 Mon 29-May-17 22:31:30

Hi there, I am considering a move to BoA. Does any one have any information regarding the local primary school... I can't seem to find much in the way of facts and figures for the school. Also, considering Beaconhurst or Dollar Academy for secondary schooling...? Thank you!

ja9r Mon 29-May-17 22:37:02

Their website

latest inspection report

link to the handbook

user1496093149 Mon 29-May-17 23:05:27

Thank you very much! smile

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 30-May-17 17:08:25

This may help too:

public.tableau.com/profile/sg.eas.learninganalysis#!/vizhome/AchievementofCurriculumforExcellenceCfELevels201516/Dashboard1

I live in the area if you have anything specific to ask.

Lidlfix Tue 30-May-17 20:41:26

Primary has a decent reputation according to friends- not perfect but where is? Beaconhurst is getting a pretty bad press at the moment and there are concerns about how it manages to remain viable. But that is goss in small world of education in Stirling. I have tutored pupils from Dollar and am still shocked that despite ££££ they still need tutoring and by their teacher's apparent lack of knowledge of curriculum and content of new courses. A good number of BofA pupils transfer request for Dunblane High school and do well there.

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 30-May-17 21:38:13

I was going to suggest buying near the train station for easy transport to Dunblane and saving the private fees smile. Dunblane is crying out for placing requests still, as far as I know.

user1496093149 Wed 31-May-17 22:31:08

Yes, I have had a look into the results for Dollar & Beaconhurst today and the stats on exam results are a far cry from other schools in the private sector in Scotland.
Happy to hear that Dunblane Academy are crying out for placing requests considering it's place on the top schools list smile

Thank you very much for your information and links!

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 31-May-17 22:48:51

That all said, education isn't always just about exam results and in the state sector in particular, a school can still be a good effective school and not be at the top of the lists simply because of it's catchment.

I suppose it's horses for courses really. My DC go to Dunblane on placing request as they are quiet and academic and it suits them. The catchment school is much better for sports and they do a lot of things that I think are good and positive and progressive for their pupils. DS1, because of bullying issues in primary, was particularly sensitive to general class disruption and I think Dunblane is a bit less leery. DS2 could have coped fine and isn't phased by a livelier environment but chose to follow his brother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now