Talk

Advanced search

New Highers/Old Highers

(14 Posts)
Figleaf Tue 23-May-17 20:34:55

My oldest son did Highers in 2014 (he was last year group to do Standard Grades). My youngest (just finished his Nat 5s) will start Highers when he goes back to school after exam leave. 4 of the 5 subjects he will take were the same as my older son - does he need new Revision/study guides (Leckie and Leckie type things). Just don't know if/how Highers have changed (if at all) so don't want to waste money or be stingy. Any advice welcome smile

nothruroad Tue 23-May-17 20:40:52

It depends very much on the subject. For my subject the content hasn't changed much but the exam weighting / timing etc is different. For other subjects the content is very different.

Figleaf Tue 23-May-17 20:42:43

Should have said what subjects (thanks northruroad). The overlapping subjects are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. He will also study Music.

mono3 Tue 23-May-17 20:44:16

Definitely different content for physics. Not sure about the others.

musicteacheriz Tue 23-May-17 20:48:34

Maths has an overlap, not every topic is the same but most are.
Music I think is mainly the same - maybe a few terms changed here and there.
Not sure about the others!

Figleaf Tue 23-May-17 21:03:52

Thanks - think I will bite the bullet and buy.

prettybird Tue 23-May-17 21:17:07

I think even if the topics covered are the same, the way the questions are asked are different (eg much more "applied" maths/physics, giving you scenarios you need to interpret to work out the maths/physics you need to use to get the answer), so yes, you probably are better biting the bullet.

ttlshiwwya Wed 24-May-17 10:53:27

I've a DS1 who did the last of the old Highers and a DS2 who is sitting new Highers now. I only bought a new study guide for one subject (Geography) which I see your son isn't taking. For Maths and Chemistry I didn't bother - old study guide was reasonably close plus my DS2 had good notes. I did buy new past papers for all subjects though. I should add my DS2 is not the most diligent and I'm not convinced the study guides have been used that much. If it had been my DD then I'd have probably bought the new ones.

Figleaf Wed 24-May-17 12:52:34

Thanks ttlshiwwya - been on and ordered. I reasoned that if I did it for one I had to do it for his brother. :-)

Biggest problem I'm finding is Bright Red or Leckie and Leckie don't do one for Music and only Bright Red do Computing. The How to Pass series do one for Computing and Music but neither of my boys have been impressed with the 'How to' series.

Figleaf Tue 30-May-17 09:21:11

May be one for you Musicteacheriz or for any Mum whose DD/DS has just finished Music Higher..... What resources I can buy DS who will start Higher Music next week? DH and I did Maths/Sciences so are unfamiliar with this area. Leckie and Leckie/Bright Red don't seem to do a Music success guide/revision book. What have have others found helpful?

Figleaf Tue 30-May-17 09:21:43

May be one for you Musicteacheriz or for any Mum whose DD/DS has just finished Music Higher..... What resources I can buy DS who will start Higher Music next week? DH and I did Maths/Sciences so are unfamiliar with this area. Leckie and Leckie/Bright Red don't seem to do a Music success guide/revision book. What have have others found helpful?

Figleaf Tue 30-May-17 09:22:48

oops - sorry for duplication!

musicteacheriz Tue 30-May-17 19:42:09

There is a complete lack of higher music resources at the moment so I'm not sure if there is anything to buy! Just hope he has good notes and also the website 'mymusiconline' has good listening resources!

Figleaf Tue 30-May-17 19:58:02

Thanks musicteacheriz x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now