Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Douglas academy ?

(23 Posts)
getmeouttaherethenoo Mon 15-May-17 12:52:17

My 1st time posting , but been lurking for months !
My ds is starting secondary soon , and I was lookin for schools in west end ? Preferably with transport routes .. we are in knightswood , but willing to look into bearsden / milngavie ..
anyone have any views on Douglas ? And public transport as have younger dc to drop off too?

prettybird Mon 15-May-17 12:58:43

Would you be moving? I doubt if you would get into either Douglas Academy or Bearsden Academy unless you were in catchment.

And public transport for both is awkard - a long way from train stations and not on obvious bus routes (although Bearsden Academy maybe a bit better for buses than Douglas Academy).

getmeouttaherethenoo Mon 15-May-17 14:15:34

Was thinkin placing request? Knightswood sec would be my catchment school, but don't think my ds would fit in there ..
do u know anythin about hyndland ?

Seniorcitizen1 Mon 15-May-17 15:56:09

Thonl you would be very lucky to get in on a placing request - most fail as places now almost always go to catchment pupils

getmeouttaherethenoo Mon 15-May-17 17:37:05

So what school would u guys recommend ? I'm new to the area and bit apprehensive as it's my 1st confused

7to25 Mon 15-May-17 17:42:43

Friends daughter for into Douglas Academy this year on a placement request from Kelvindale. Very happy.

GloriaPritchett Mon 15-May-17 17:44:33

Are you new to Scotland? You really don't have a choice, especially as the city is so full.

You can obviously make placing requests but you must do so knowing that more requests than ever are being turned down. It's extremely likely that you will only be offered the catchment school.

prettybird Mon 15-May-17 18:12:09

Don't know whether Hyndland or Hillhead are able to accept all placing requests (both good schools) - think Hyndland is slightly better than Hillhead - but happy to be corrected.

To date, Shawlands (South Side) has been able to accept all placing requests but is probably getting close to capacity.

nothruroad Mon 15-May-17 18:52:57

What about Boclair Academy? They seem to have lots of Glasgow pupils as placing requests.

AgentProvocateur Mon 15-May-17 19:00:23

Boclair is hard to get to by public transport. Lenzie has a falling s1 roll, and is near a station, but it's quite a journey from Knightswood.

trixymalixy Mon 15-May-17 19:21:30

Which primary school is your DS in?

As others have said it's getting more and more difficult to get into any other school than the one you are in catchment for. More and more placing requests are being turned down.

Why do you think knightswood wouldn't suit your DS?

getmeouttaherethenoo Mon 15-May-17 20:27:43

He is at white inch primary at the moment, that was placin request too, all the dc go there , I've just heard stories about knightswood , 1st hand from parents that put me off .. I will look into boclair .

Thank you all for your feedback

Waggamamma Mon 15-May-17 20:32:37

In Scotland you generally go to your catchment school unless there's an exceptional circumstance? Most placing requests can't/won't be met due to schools being at capacity with catchment pupils. If you want to guarantee a specific school you will need to move into the catchment area.

It's not like England where you get to 'choose' a school.

What school are his primary friends going to?

getmeouttaherethenoo Tue 16-May-17 12:31:40

All his friends are goin to hyndland .. but tht is really difficult to get into it .. and most of them were placin requests!
Will look into other schools mentioned

TinfoilHattie Tue 16-May-17 12:53:12

You have no hope of getting into Bearsden Academy this year on a placing request whatsoever. I have a daughter in P7 going there (we're in catchment) and know of many children who have been refused a place. Only 11 placing requests were granted into S1 this year, all the children are siblings of children already placed in the school. Most live in East Dunbartonshire.

Outside East Dunbartonshire, and without siblings, you have no hope. Sorry.

Douglas also a very popular school and I would imagine that if there are spare places there, many of the children refused Bearsden Academy places will be trying to get in. So again, not much hope.

You have left this very late if you're looking for a space for August - placing requests were submitted in January and decisions made at the end of April.

Beebeeeight Tue 16-May-17 21:14:46

Is he p7 now?

If not can you move catchment before the cut off.

That's your best bet at avoiding knoghtswood ATM.

TinfoilHattie Tue 16-May-17 23:15:13

Cut off has been and gone... applications were made in January. Placing requests granted/refused at the end of April. OP has left this incredibly late.

I know of one child in my daughter's class who is appealing a decision. Like the OP's child she has no older siblings and lives in a neighbouring council area. Off the record, she's been told that even if her appeal is succesful East Dunbartonshire can't magic up a place in a school that's full, and her best chance is to cross everything and pray for a few people moving out of the area or opting for private schools.

Anecdotally people say that Councils keep a few places just in case people move over the summer but that's not what I see happening at the very popular schools like Bearsden or Douglas.

getmeouttaherethenoo Wed 24-May-17 22:00:59

Hey! My ds got a place in Douglas .. so glad ! Now to figuring out if any public transport about ( my last minute placing request was lucky ) smile

JustMyLuckUnfortunately Thu 25-May-17 09:29:27

Congratulations!

getmeouttaherethenoo Thu 25-May-17 17:29:30

Thanks !

Does anyone know any bus tht goes tht way from anniesland cross/ great western rd way ?

rogueantimatter Sat 27-May-17 12:18:15

60A goes near to Douglas. I think it goes down Maryhill Road though.

There are four trains an hour to Milngavie station from Anniesland. It's a 25 min walk from station to douglas. Unfortunately the school is right on the edge of Milngavie and the countryside. Inconveniently located but quite scenic. Lots of classrooms look out onto fields and the main road from the centre of village goes past a golf course.

rogueantimatter Sat 27-May-17 12:20:10

The Douglas Academy music school bus goes from Knightswood. If there was a space for him on that your problem would be sorted. PM me if you'd like.

getmeouttaherethenoo Sat 27-May-17 15:47:45

Thank you guys !
rogueantimatter I don't know how to pm! Sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now