Talk

Advanced search

Extra week's holidays

(8 Posts)
DanyellasDonkey Wed 03-May-17 20:55:15

Up until now we have always had an extra week's school holidays added on to the summer every 5 or so years - last time it was 2012. So we were thinking we should get it this year. All the neighbouring authorities are getting an extra week this summer - we are not - and don't appear to be getting it next year either.

Colleagues have contacted the EIS but they are just fobbing them off with nonsense like "A certain number of days have to be accrued" etc etc. But as everyone works the same number of days, then we should all accrue the same number of days at the same time.

Any advice from other authorities welcome.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 03-May-17 22:40:36

Which authority are you in?

I'm in Stirlingshire and we don't have an extra week.

Lidlfix Wed 03-May-17 22:48:36

Stirling and had our (lovely) 8 weeks last year. Council have not confirmed dates far enough on the future to see when the next one is.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 03-May-17 22:54:27

I didn't realise we'd had 8 weeks last year but just checked last year's calendar and so we did! Probably confused because it went midweek to midweek for a change.

LittleRedFrog Thu 04-May-17 22:57:16

I could be wrong, but I thought it was every seven years. I think it's happened twice for us since my DC have been in school.

DanyellasDonkey Sat 06-May-17 16:19:25

I thought ours was every 6 years but 3 neighbouring authorities are having theirs this year which would be 5 but we're not angry

Musicaltheatremum Sat 13-May-17 17:56:22

We had it a couple of times during 15 years of school. It's to reset the dates so you don't break up too early or late. My children's school always finished the last Thursday in June so sometimes it was the 30th and sometimes the 24th it was when it was the 24th I think that they got 9 weeks instead of 8.

Euphemia Sat 13-May-17 20:46:56

I remember hearing that a child should experience this once during their primary years, which would suggest every 6-7 years. I don't know how it's worked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now