Talk

Advanced search

Just ordered DS1 his 6th year blazer...

(46 Posts)
WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 16:52:57

Just seems like yesterday his sweaty wee paw was clasped in mine when we went shopping for school shoes for P1 sad

pissedglitter Sat 22-Apr-17 17:06:44

I will soon be ordering my youngest child's 4th year blazer shock

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 17:17:05

aww pissed , my youngest is going into 5th year but we keep the same blazer until 6th. Well not actually the same blazer as they've grown some since 1st year. grin Gone from a 36 in chest to a 42 Long.

LordPercy Sat 22-Apr-17 20:01:45

Ah! My eldest has his last week of school next week sob I don't care that he's nearly 18, taller than DH and driving, he's still only little. His blazer plus the S6 braiding last year cost £50 and is now useless.

DD will get measured during her exam leave for her blazer so that's another £40+ I need to find.

I'm not even adding up how much DS1 leaving school is costing...prom, hoodie, year book, kilt....🙈

IndigoApple Sat 22-Apr-17 20:05:28

DD is going into S6 too. Can't really believe it either but glad I only have one more year of battling to get time off work in the school holidays!

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 20:09:12

Lord I was £51, £45 for the blazer with braiding and £6 for the tie. But then the normal blazers are the same price and I've had to buy 6 of those so far and DS2 really could do with a new one for 5th year. plus the 3 ties for 1st - 3rd year (1 each and a spare), 3 ties for 4th and 5th year and then obviously a different one again for 6th year.

Would it be rotten to pass DS1s 6th year blazer to DS2 next year? That's assuming they are still more or less the same size, part of me feels that's really not fair though, to buy one new and the 2nd one get used.

LordPercy Sat 22-Apr-17 20:12:14

Pass it on! I would except apparently girls and boys blazers are different and he's 6"2 and she's 5"2 😂😂

Thanks for reminding me about the tie, she'll need a senior one too as DS has wrecked his (how do you even do that?)

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 20:18:55

Lord I've no idea how they manage - DS2 managed to half rip the pocket from his blazer in the first week of 1st year and has managed to lose (amongst many many other things) his shoelaces on one occasion.

I bought DS1 a girls blazer by mistake in first year, luckily I noticed and exchanged it before school started smile

My two are a similar build, DS2 is slightly broader and DS1 is slightly taller so not quite the contrast you have!

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 20:20:12

Indigo, yes, the worry of childcare during the holidays stopped a few years ago, but looking forward to being able to holiday at different times of the year.

MrsJayy Sat 22-Apr-17 20:23:39

Aww they look so grown up our school changed the senior blazer when dd2 got to 5th year i was raging i had a perfectly good but useless blazer that i couldnt pass on.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 22-Apr-17 20:53:45

That's a pain MrsJayy sad

MrsJayy Sat 22-Apr-17 21:58:17

It was so annoying and then they changed the badge the year dd2 left so couldn't pass that blazer on either

DanyellasDonkey Sat 22-Apr-17 22:39:58

My DS is just about to finish uni. I teach in the school he went to and every day I pass a photo of the whole school taken for the millennium where he's sitting cross-legged at the very front in P!.

So cute and just seems like yesterday - oh where did those years go? shock

Lidlfix Sun 23-Apr-17 11:28:05

I took DD2 shopping for work clothes during the holidays. She's landed a really impressive (rather well paid) Modern Apprenticeship so needed to look the part. Sadly she would not be subjected to a first day at work in the style of first day at school pic. Is gorgeous if I say so myself but so petite and baby faced she gets the bus home from work for a half. 2 down 2 to go.

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 23-Apr-17 16:42:36

Our babies are all getting grown up!

Lidl my DSs don't/didn't pass for a half on the train/bus since they've been about 13/14 and they are too quiet to argue about it. DS1 looks like he is in his 20s and is still only 16! Ds2 at 15 easily passes for 18/19.

Groovee Sun 23-Apr-17 16:43:57

I need to get Dd a green tie for S6 and DS needs shirts as he needs dd's tie. I can't be old enough to have a child going into S6 and S4

LordPercy Sun 23-Apr-17 16:48:22

That was me last year Groovee, and it's gone by in a flash. DS1 has his last official school day this Friday (a fun day out bowling) and then he can leave after his last exam 🙈.

Next session I've an S5 and a P5!

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 23-Apr-17 18:50:08

Next session I'll have a S6 and an S5!

RJnomore1 Sun 23-Apr-17 18:53:09

It's my dds last week of school too.

My baby is going into S2. She's as tall as her sister.

I am sad although she still sits on my knee sometimes. When no ones looking.

rogueantimatter Sun 23-Apr-17 18:56:30

Awww. I know just how you feel.

DS' last day next Friday. I can't believe it. He mentioned leavers' day and even though I know he's leaving school I was still shocked. He's not going to prom as he has only had one year at this school. So that's an excellent saving.

RJnomore1 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:00:27

Prom clashes with dds gold sailing expedition for duke of Edinburgh. Not exactly a saving...

Lidlfix Sun 23-Apr-17 20:34:22

Actually feel quite sorry for DD2 missing out on the final days. Her school (where I teach also do this) don't tell them what the last day will be due to previous 'muck up days' could be anything from Wednesday to Friday. Her employer is allowing her days off to sit her exams and had also said they'd let her go to school for her last day.

DD1 came to where I teach so she could study the AHs she wanted - so no big emotional farewells for either sad

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 23-Apr-17 20:38:05

That's a shame for those missing out sad

DSs aren't very sociable so suspect they won't want to go anyway.

Lidl does your DD's new employer start with a P? Really good apprenticeships.

prettybird Mon 24-Apr-17 15:21:28

Ds has said he'll only get an S6 blazer if he's Depute Head Boy. He hadn't decided if he'll stand yet - I presume the elections are in June. He seems to think that the Head Boy will be a shoo-in (one of his friends: a very nice and very clever boy).

I bought him a blazer in S1 which he barely wore (passed it on to my neighbour in pristine condition barring all the white cat hairs from having lain on ds' sofa unworn for so many months hmm). He's worn hoodies since.

He's not been bad with his school tie (the only thing that the school is really strict about): have never had to get him a replacement one! grin

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 24-Apr-17 18:13:47

Blazers (and ties) are compulsory for us so no choice about buying them but I am looking forward to a change of colour smile Plus DS1 has already earned a stripe on his blazer pocket but it may change to a different colour once the exam results are out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now