Talk

Advanced search

Shopping in Dundee: whit like?

(22 Posts)
MorrisZapp Sat 15-Apr-17 11:08:35

I'm from Edinburgh. Spending a day in Dundee over Easter, DP taking DS to the totes awesome swimming pool, I've been promised peace to shop.

I like Gap, tk maxx, charity shops and most things in between. Where should I start?

Also, what's the best family dining place? Happy to resort to a chain.

SetPhasersTaeMalkie Sat 15-Apr-17 11:21:42

Tk Maxx is in the retail park beside the swimming pool. There's a next there and brantano, which is having a pretty decent closing down sale. The Overgate centre has some okay shops too, pretty standard high street shops, Debenhams, Oasis, I think Gap. It's fine for a wander.

There's a frankie and bennys in the Overgate and a Nandos across the road. Lots of cafes. In Whitehall street, across from the Overgate there's a restaurant called, I think, Turinos, which is not a chain but nice for families.

I really like waterstones in Dundee. It has a nice cafe upstairs.

TheScottishPlay Sat 15-Apr-17 13:31:56

Commercial Street in the town centre and Perth Road further out beyond the overgate for charity shops and quirky cafes. As Malkie says though Waterstones cafe is fab. Relaxing with great coffee and baking.
Project Pie is a pizza type restaurant also in Commercial Street. Child friendly.
Enjoy.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Apr-17 14:04:20

Brilliant, just what I needed to know. Love Waterstones!

OOAOML Sat 15-Apr-17 17:12:28

What's the swimming pool like?

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Apr-17 17:16:59

I haven't been but DP takes DS, apparently it has waves and stuff, DS loves it.

OOAOML Sat 15-Apr-17 17:31:16

Sounds good. I still miss Waterworld.

HLBug Sat 15-Apr-17 17:32:34

If you need a break from the shops then visit the McManus Gallery - lovely for a wee wonder round.

SierraJensen Sat 15-Apr-17 17:37:31

McManus has a nice cafe too, I sometimes take dd (2). Butterfly cafe opposite Waterstones is good for children too and their goats cheese, basil and blueberry panini is delicious.

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Apr-17 18:37:46

Getting excited now!

MorrisZapp Sat 15-Apr-17 18:38:20

We're also going to Camperdown Park.

ohmygodyouguys Sat 15-Apr-17 18:41:42

Camperdown park has a zoo in it which is pretty decent, also a kids play area. Nice for a walk, they were having an Easter event there today but not sure if that was just for today or over the whole holiday.

TheScottishPlay Sat 15-Apr-17 18:41:43

Aw, you'll see the three new bears. Very cute. Cafe there is ok too.

LtGreggs Sat 15-Apr-17 18:48:09

The pool is good - we did day out from Stirling on recommendation and was worth it. The water slides are quite serious - my 9yo found the big drop from the fast one a bit too much.

(Perth pool with the outdoor bit good too though)

LtGreggs Sat 15-Apr-17 18:48:28

Pool cafe is awful btw

kingscrossnoodle Sat 15-Apr-17 18:50:09

Project pie and charity shops are in Reform street

kingscrossnoodle Sat 15-Apr-17 18:51:10

And don't waste your time going into the wellgate centre

kingscrossnoodle Sat 15-Apr-17 18:52:55

Take a drive to broughty ferry for a walk on the beach and some nice shops if you have time, it's about 10 mins from city centre

TheScottishPlay Sat 15-Apr-17 19:18:26

KingsCross. Thanks for correcting me. I worked in Reform Street for 15 years. Shame on me!

TheScottishPlay Sat 15-Apr-17 19:19:55

I also can never fathom Union St, Whitehall St and Castle St despite being in Dundee almost every day.

SierraJensen Sun 16-Apr-17 09:29:10

theScottishPlay I am exactly the same with those streets! Half of them seem to be dug up at the moment though.

MorrisZapp Sun 16-Apr-17 21:15:49

Had 'high tea' aka massive dinner followed by tea and cakes at the Birkhill Inn, was ace! Scored some bargains in... Primark smile Camperdown Park really was fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now