Talk

Advanced search

Something to do for an hour or so in Glasgow that might interest teenage boys?

(48 Posts)
WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 17:53:55

Despite not being too far from Glasgow I don't know it very well.

I've promised DS2 that we'll take him guitar shopping tomorrow. Since we are all off, we thought we'd all go in on the train (me, DH, DS1 (16) and DS2 (15). They've done things like the science centre and riverside museum before so we are just looking for anything else to do that isn't shopping or eating.

Not interested in art galleries etc.

Also need somewhere to eat either lunch or dinner depending on when we decide to go in. Not too fancy or expensive smile

Any recommendations?

ClarenceOddbody Wed 12-Apr-17 17:55:06

The DC comics exhibit at Kelvingrove??

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 17:56:32

Thank you, I did see that on the What's On guide but they've never been into superheroes, they liked Anime and pokemon and that sort of stuff when younger.

ClarenceOddbody Wed 12-Apr-17 17:57:02

I know that's art... But it might appeal?

ClarenceOddbody Wed 12-Apr-17 17:58:31

Oh no good then. . Hmm... not really sure what else would fit the bill. Am sure there will be people with loads of ideas on here though. Hope you all have fun! smile

Xfghjj Wed 12-Apr-17 17:59:19

Take them for a dander through the Necropolis!

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 18:02:39

Thanks Clarence It does look a good option so I'll put it on a list and see what they think. Just don't want to come down, look at guitars and then go home grin

That would probably be quite interesting Xf , you'd probably need some sort of tour or guide to show you the interesting stuff.

nothruroad Wed 12-Apr-17 18:03:00

How about an escape room for something different?

www.escape-glasgow.co.uk/

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 18:05:04

That's maybe an idea nothru - we did the one in Edinburgh a couple of years back.

Lidlfix Wed 12-Apr-17 18:05:52

People's Palace is fun not too "museumsy" interesting look at culture, language etc. Just wandering in the West End taking in the vibe is nice too.

wishiwasacollie Wed 12-Apr-17 18:07:10

If they like pizza go to paesano pizza in miller street off george square. Inexpensive authentic pizzas.. Go to.peoples palace at glasgow green which is near all the good guitar shops and let them laugh at what was normal in our childhood

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 18:10:38

Forecast looking wet for the afternoon so "vibe" might be damp. smile

I don't mind just wandering but the menfolk get grumpy.

Anditstartsagain Wed 12-Apr-17 18:10:43

There is a new trampoline place open thats supposed to be good. I think its tradeston/kinning park ish.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 18:12:05

Peoples palace sounding like a good option and I've heard of Pizza Paesano from when I was looking for somewhere before so that could be a good option - everyone likes pizza.

HamletsSister Wed 12-Apr-17 18:12:22

Science centre is good.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Wed 12-Apr-17 18:16:06

There's a tower thing you can go up near the Science Museum? might not be great in the rain, though!

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 19:01:32

Science centre is good but we've done that a few times and the tower thing is invariably closed but half of us are scared of heights so maybe it's just as well... smile

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Wed 12-Apr-17 19:09:45

Probably!

Do any of them like football?

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 19:12:36

Football? Noooooooooo... grin

What are they interested in? DS1 - Sitting in his room playing on computer, building computers, maths and physics and computers...

DS2 - Sitting in his room on his computer, music (playing the bass), the byzantine empire.

Both: eating.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Wed 12-Apr-17 19:25:16

LOL

Football stadium tour out then!

If one likes the byzantine Empire, what about Kelvingrove? I used to literally just hang out there when I was a teenager. I walked two miles form my house to get there and mooched around all day. It's free. Or The Burrell Collection?

Anditstartsagain Wed 12-Apr-17 20:10:54

How about setting them free for a couple of hours while you have time with dh? They could have a wander round I pretty much lived up the toon from 14 to 18, then have family time at a meal.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 20:18:27

That's a nice idea Andit. The boys were away for a long weekend and spent a day wandering around Liverpool while DH and I had a couple of days in Edinburgh. It's really just a half day out together. DH or I were going to just run in with DS2 to see the guitars but it would be good to get DS1 out the house too so it's turned into a family trip.

ILike guitar shopping and byzantine would be 2 things for same child.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 12-Apr-17 20:21:21

When I said they wandered round the town in Liverpool, I think that was dictated by DS2 as well, he spent all his money - he bought a couple of albums and a t-shirt with his spending money. DS1 bought a bottle of coke and a packet of chocolate raisins and came home with most of his money. he is a nightmare to get him to treat himself.

frasersmummy Wed 12-Apr-17 20:25:19

Send the boys 2 different ways on the underground..Challenge them to get a selfie at each stop ..Easter egg to the first back

Anditstartsagain Wed 12-Apr-17 20:28:41

Teens are so diffucult to please I dread my boys getting to the teen age going by their personailities now I think my ds2 will dictating to ds1 too.

Have fun whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now