Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Dunblane - advice on after school care and helping kids with move trauma!

(19 Posts)
msksquared Thu 06-Apr-17 12:48:40

We are moving to Dunblane in early June, with DSs aged 11 and 8. Older DS is particularly upset about moving, completely hates the idea and won't talk about it without crying/screaming/running away shock sad. We have considered staying where we are (NW England) but it means DH away all week and is just not sustainable for our family.

So, two questions. We will be living in Newton catchment but there is no after school care at Newton and the official after school club at Dunblane Kids Club is full with a waiting list of 40!! The private nursery does after school care but is also very full with availability only on a couple of days. I need to start work in Aug/September, and wondering what other solutions for after school care might be? Also, shocked at the lack of provision...

Second question, anyone have any experience with helping kids over the trauma of moving? Especially when a child is sooooo upset about it.

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 06-Apr-17 13:34:55

I don't live in Dunblane but DSs go to the High School - when I saw the heading I was going to say the after school club at Dunblane primary. I think that's probably it or as you say local private nursery. That's actually more than was ever available where I live.

I'm presuming that your DSs will be P7 and P4? Elder one isn't an issue really depending on when you'd get home, so presume you'd be looking for something for younger child mainly. What about childminders? I think the council can provide a list of those in your area that you could try. There are some Dunblane community/buy and sell FaceBook pages too that might be worth posting on.

As for the not wanting to move, is there anything that your son has been wanting to try that is available locally that might be a sweetener? There is a vast amount of available activities and clubs in the area - literally anything you can think off (I think my DSs have tried everything!) is available somewhere nearby. It's a great area to live in and to raise kids in. What kind of things do they like to do and I'll see if I can recommend anything?

celtiethree Thu 06-Apr-17 13:59:45

Was going to post the same - is your 11 year old going into P7 or S1 after the holidays. I don't know any S1s that use any after school facilities. Most I know let themselves in. Childminder is your best option for your younger child.

I moved around loads as a kid there isn't much that you can say that will make your DS feel better about it. The best you can do I think is have a plan for joining activies/clubs when you are here to help him connect really quickly. What does your DC like to do sport/hobbies - local parents from Dunblane/BofA/Stirling can post ideas based on what he likes.

msksquared Thu 06-Apr-17 14:15:02

Thanks both for the nice replies star! Eldest is going into P7 after holidays - and not ready to be home alone for long yet in my view. So maybe I need to find out about childminders then.

They are both into sports and music to a degree. I am hoping they can join the cricket club at Stirling. Scouts and cubs have been a big thing where we live now, and we are hopefully sorting out that as well. Not sure what else yet. They've been in the swimming club where we are but not that keen to continue...

I think the main thing that will make it OK will be finding good friends, and that's just going to take time...

celtiethree Thu 06-Apr-17 14:31:59

Scouts and cub packs exist, though I'm not sure about waiting lists. Boys brigade is very popular. I know nothing about cricket but football and rugby is v popular. There is also an excellent bike club that has a junior section in Stirling and a triathlon club which has a really big junior section. The Tri club would be great for strong swimmers who don't want to be in a swim club but are sporty. Suggest that you look at the summer program at Bridge of Allan sports club, lots of kids from Dunblane attend their program over the summer. Also look at the University of Stirling and Active Stirling to see what they are offering - there is loads!!

What type if music/instrument. I have a combo of 5 different instruments in my house and might be able to point you in the direction of something smile

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 06-Apr-17 14:37:14

Hopefully they have a chance to settle before you return to employment smile

My boys are Scouts (well Explorers now) I think there are two packs of Scouts so hopefully your elder son can get a space. Not sure how many Cubs there are - my two went to Bridge of Allan until the end of scout age and only moved to Dunblane for explorers. They also have a Facebook page.

Some of the Rugby boys do Cricket in the summer and Judo (this helps with the learning to fall and not being scared of handling).

It may also be worth looking at the Dunblane centre as they run all sorts of clubs and do drum lessons I think. There may be stuff on over the holidays that they could get involved with. Are they both starting school for the month/few weeks before school breaks up?

Other places to look for info are on the Active Stirling website - also look under Active Clubs- this is where things that aren't run by Active Stirling are listed such as the rugby, cricket, martial arts, bowling, curling etc are all listed. The basketball team is also very successful, there are many football teams too.

The Cowan centre and the tollbooth also have lots of stuff on such as Drama and music and art classes/groups.

Let me know if you need any pointers. I'm sure I could dig up contacts for Scouts etc if you want to PM me?

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 06-Apr-17 14:40:24

And yes to celties suggestions. Loads on at the Uni - they usually have kayaking and stuff on in the holidays. BofA tennis club do a summer/holiday club too that covers tennis and squash. My two loved that they took money and bought their lunch - the simple pleasures... grin

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 06-Apr-17 14:41:34

BBs is very popular in Dunblane but is too "churchy" for my tastes.

celtiethree Thu 06-Apr-17 14:44:13

Ha WankersHack I agree. That's why I've never sought out a bb troop despite the fact that I love that they normally have a marching band.

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 06-Apr-17 14:47:53

The BB boys also consider themselves "cooler" than the boys in Scouts or the ATC. Just about choked laughing at that when I was told. Only in Dunblane..... grin

Don't let us put you off though OP smile It's just one of Dunblane's little peculiarities, another being the amount of DC with trousers that are too short.

msksquared Thu 06-Apr-17 15:02:06

Haha thank you both for brilliant suggestions! grin celtiethree we right now have clarinet and piano on the go... with an interest in guitars. Will need to find clarinet and piano lessons if we can... Let me know if you have ideas on that!

celtiethree Thu 06-Apr-17 15:26:50

For guitar the Tollbooth is great for trad guitar lessons - even if your DC isn't doing trad at the moment the lessons are really good and affordable. There are a few guitar teachers for rock, if I find a contact I'll PM you. I know nothing about clarinet - but Stirling council do offer lessons in schools, you might want to contact the head of their music service. I think the contact info is on the Stirling Council webpage. From P7 up Stirling Council do offer pupils that are taking lessons from them to participate in music days with an evening concert.

Lidlfix Thu 06-Apr-17 15:31:23

A friend of my DD used to do babysitting after school in Dunblane. She's off to uni after the summer but a reliable over 16, as a mother's help, does seem to be a "done thing".

My older DDs had exhausted all patience on the younger ones. blush

Wellthatsit Fri 07-Apr-17 17:34:23

The Cathedral has a children's choir which is very good and a great way to make friends. You don't necessarily have to be 'churchy' to enjoy it - although obviously you do sing at church services.
Maybe your DC would enjoy it if they are musical.

msksquared Fri 07-Apr-17 21:27:05

Thanks everyone for all your ideas... I am getting a bit more excited about it all now!

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 07-Apr-17 21:32:14

That's great. It really is a fab area to raise a family and I say that as someone brought up in Edinburgh.

prettybird Sat 08-Apr-17 00:22:25

The cycling club in Stirling is great and very friendly. I got to know lots of the parents (and kids) when ds was road and track cycling (at a Glasgow club) and we would meet on the "circuit". They also do mountain biking but ds was never interested in that

Google Wallace Warriors to find out more.

Stirling County has a good Junior rugby section, I believe.

Good luck with your move smile

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 08-Apr-17 08:34:17

There is generally a waiting list for the Warriors. It's worth going on though as places do come up when lazy shites like my two drop out....

prettybird Sat 08-Apr-17 08:51:59

True - there is waiting list for the Riderz too but ds was lucky when he joined.

The waiting lists are often age dependent, as it depends on the numbers of coaches per age group.

There won't be a waiting list for the local rugby club(s)! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now