Talk

Advanced search

Dunblane place to live

(18 Posts)
Clarabelle23 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:13:16

Today 21:12 Clarabelle23

Hello! We are thinking about moving to Dunblane (mainly for schools and commuting because my husband works in Glasgow and I work in Edinburgh). We don't know the area very well and just wanted to find out which parts are nice areas to live and what the commute is like to Edinburgh in particular? Thanks x

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 22-Feb-17 21:16:35

I don't live in Dunblane but my DC go to the High School.

I think to be fair, most areas are okay, there are a few streets in the council area that have a bit of a reputation but your budget will really drive the decision. The primary schools are all good I understand. The High school is as far as you get at one end of the town and there is no school transport for children in Dunblane so if you choose at the other end, it would be a long walk, a drive for someone or picking up public transport (not sure what there is but must be something!)

I have friends who commute by train to Edinburgh (and in the past Glasgow) it's a train journey, it is what you would expect. 1 hour for edinburgh, 30-40 mins for Glasgow. Friend usually drives to Bridge of Allan for the train as more chance of getting parked.

BofA may also be an option for living? They've reinstated the public bus so kids can take that to the high school or also the train. BofA primary is also okay and you can do a placing request for the High School, despite what the council website says, they actively seek placing requests and haven't turned any down for at least 7 years.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 22-Feb-17 21:17:46

If you post details of any houses/streets you were looking at, I can see what I can find out for you or what I already know?

blueskyinmarch Wed 22-Feb-17 21:21:03

I used to live in Dunblane. It is a nice place. My DH had jobs in both Edinburgh and Glasgow in the time we were there and both commutes seemed fine. The schools were good too. My DDs went to Newton Primary and enjoyed it. DD1 also went to Dunblane HS. I don’t know if things have changed but she used to get a bus there from our side of town. All my friends still live there and i visit often.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 22-Feb-17 21:36:06

As far as I know bluesky the kids used to be able to get the service bus that takes the pupils out to Arnprior etc and just pay fares but they stopped that for some reason. There may be another bus though that isn't the official school bus. There was a lot of controversy at the time (maybe 2 or 3 years ago?) and various options were trialled but I think in the end any special provision was removed. I'm out of catchment so had no entitlement anyway so we've always had to make our own arrangements. Currently my DC are in the latter stages of High school now so I'm counting down to not having the mad dash to and from work via Dunblane.

blueskyinmarch Wed 22-Feb-17 21:39:53

Ooh a bus scandal in Dunblane! I moved 8 years ago so this has passed me by!

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 22-Feb-17 22:05:24

grin

Clarabelle23 Wed 22-Feb-17 22:24:01

Thanks so much for your responses everyone! We haven't been to see any houses yet but seen a couple advertised previously that I guess would be in the north east of the town out past the Doubletree. I think that's Newton catchment? Can I ask where is the council area exactly? Also is the HS in the south? Bridge of Allan does seem lovely too and I didn't realise that about the placement requests so good to know that too.

LtGreggs Wed 22-Feb-17 22:29:14

What about Stirling - Kings Park area? Bigger town with more choice of schools, activities etc - but loads of space, parks, access to countryside as well as Glasgow & Edinburgh.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 22-Feb-17 22:34:57

The high school is right at the top of Old Doune Road, so yes right at the south end. The North end is Newton catchment. The main council housing bit is around Tesco, George street etc. I am sure there are many lovely people in the houses, I grew up in worse myself, but there is a bit of a reputation from probably a few families who spoil things for everyone else. Equally there used to be a bit of bother up in the Laighills from youth drinking etc I really can't confirm that at all though.

I'm up at the high school every day and I've never ever seen any bother at all, not even any smoking smile There is a nice, non aggressive atmosphere and the DC all seem to be allowed to just be who they are and there isn't such an expectation of being made up and tanned etc for the girls or to be in top fashion for any of them as far as I can see.

Plenty of opportunities in the area to do any sport or activity you can possibly think of.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 22-Feb-17 22:38:31

What about Stirling Yes, I'm in Stirling, There really isn't much distance between Stirling BofA and Dunblane. The facilities of all places are available really regardless of where your base is. You probably just want to be near the train station but also readily handy for the motorway too.

StrongerSingle Thu 23-Feb-17 17:04:53

I'm in Dunblane too. Been here 16 years. Schools are good. My DC are all at HS now and we live close to it too so they don't need to walk far. Good facilities for the kids at the Dunblane Centre ... and don't forget, we have an M&S!!! smile

Clarabelle23 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:26:59

Ha thank you! Yes have to say proximity to m&s is quite high up my list of priorities! 😀

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 23-Feb-17 18:35:03

No petrol station though shock

MoreProseccoNow Thu 23-Feb-17 19:36:26

Would you consider Linlithgow? It's on the fast train line to both Glasgow & Edinburgh (less than 40 mins travel time) and the high school is excellent.

Hollipopsmum Fri 10-Mar-17 23:02:48

Hi we are on our second stint in Dunblane (first time pre kids) we lived in Bridge of Allan in between. I find it a great place for kids lots of activities available tennis club golf course nice little library Dunblane Centre etc. There are a few newish cafes and restaurants so it has definitely upped its game recently and the Indian restaurant is great! We live near the Hydro and kids go to Newton primary they really like it (dd1 did p1 in Bridge of Allan primary it was good too but we all prefer Newton). Have friends with kids at Dunblane Primary who speak highly of it there is also a small third primary, St Mary's which is an Episcopal school. High school has very good exam results but as a previous poster said you can do a placement request even if not in Dunblane - I believe their role is close to a threshold for a funding cut so they happily take in non residents. For a commute to Edinburgh it's just over an hour on the train which personally I find a bit long, DH worked in Edinburgh previously and it wasn't that unusual for late running services to just stop in Stirling angry . Flip side is a lot of services start here so you always get a seat going to work - Glasgow is definitely a preferable commute by car or train from here. If you need them there are decent nurseries here too

Clarabelle23 Sat 11-Mar-17 07:31:45

Thanks again, yes it's a pity the commute to Edinburgh is quite long - it feels like it should be quicker! Mind you I have 50 minutes on the train from where I live at the moment so not too much different. We went to see Newton and seemed like a lovely friendly school. Just need to find a house now!

msksquared Thu 06-Apr-17 12:38:08

Hi ... we are just in the process of moving to Dunblane with our DSs who will be 8 and 11 on arrival... I am struggling with finding after school care. The kids club is full with a waiting list of 40!!! And the nature kindergarten only has limited availability on a couple of days a week. If anyone has any ideas.... I can;t understand why there is so little provision, in a place where most parents are working...? Just hoping something will work out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now