Talk

Advanced search

One night and one day with 8 year old in Edinburgh

(12 Posts)
Notthisnotthat Wed 08-Feb-17 18:13:58

Hello

All very last minute, but DD 8 and I are staying over at the premier inn laurieston place tomorrow night, will be arriving late afternoon by train so can get off at hay market or Waverley. Any suggestions for somewhere to eat and something to do at night, I checked the nearby odeon but nothing is rated for a child.

Thanks in advance

Lidlfix Wed 08-Feb-17 19:47:50

Mary King's Close does tours late afternoon early evening. I took DD4 at a similar age as wasn't too scary - she actually liked that she'd heard about things like plague at school .

Wouldn't be far then from Grassmarket at Mamma's Italian which is very family friendly and not a big chain.

Notthisnotthat Wed 08-Feb-17 19:57:16

That's a fab idea, thank you. Can you book a tour or just turn up?

Lidlfix Wed 08-Feb-17 20:26:57

You can book on website . Maybe not a bad idea to get your late afternoon slot?

Notthisnotthat Wed 08-Feb-17 20:43:52

I've found the restaurant on Facebook too, sounds right up DDs street.

Thanks

originalbiglymavis Wed 08-Feb-17 20:45:46

The hop on/hop off bus tours are good. You get a 24hr ticket so can roll it over 2 days.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 08-Feb-17 20:48:07

If you are there late afternoon, I'd get of at Waverly. take a walk up to the museum on chambers street. then pop to see greyfriars bobby before heading to the hotel. I'm out of touch with decent kid friendly eating places though.

Also Camera Obscura is open until 6 if that fits in?
LaLaLand is on at the Cameo?

This is on at the festival theatre?
www.edtheatres.com/cirque

BrassMonk Wed 08-Feb-17 20:51:11

I would check out the museum of childhood. It's on the royal mile- and free!

originalbiglymavis Wed 08-Feb-17 20:51:50

There's always wagamanas and pizza express!

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 08-Feb-17 20:54:46

www.whatsoninedinburgh.co.uk/event/037419-bedtime-stories/

Groovee Wed 08-Feb-17 22:26:48

Camera Obscura

Notthisnotthat Fri 17-Feb-17 10:37:05

We had a great time in Edinburgh, and spent most of out time at the national museum. Thank you for the tips, we are back in Edinburgh at the end of the month, and I've booked mamas for tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now