Talk

Advanced search

Grafter, grafting has a new meaning

(26 Posts)
Lidlfix Sun 05-Feb-17 19:32:30

DD3's parent's night I (innocently) said I know she'll do her best she's a real grafter. Teacher nods in agreement. DD scarlet and choking in embarrassment.

Apparently it means flirting, totally putting an effort in to impress object of desires! blush

A teacher myself I will have to change my repertoire of phrases . Grafting or grafter has always been my go to expression for a hard working pupil who achieves well due to sheer effort rather than a flair for subject.

Who knew? And what else has completely changed meaning that I might shame my DDs and self with?

Groovee Mon 06-Feb-17 22:52:00

I never knew that 😳

girlelephant Mon 06-Feb-17 22:54:59

😂 New meaning to me!

Floggingmolly Mon 06-Feb-17 22:55:14

Who's decided it has a new meaning? I've never heard of your dd's version.

tobecontinued2000 Mon 06-Feb-17 23:01:40

I've not heard of this new meaning.

Summerisdone Mon 06-Feb-17 23:05:15

It's not necessarily a new meaning, just used slightly different by teens right now. It still means a hard worker but they use it purely just to mean 'work hard at pulling/flirting with someone'

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Mon 06-Feb-17 23:07:22

I've heard it used lately to describe a burglar or thief.

Lidlfix Tue 07-Feb-17 06:58:35

Still not as bad as Netflix and chill. I now know this has little to do with watching a whole season of Gray's Anatomy - to my cost.

Apparently teen meaning of graft/er/ing was discussed on the radio recently. Very generational it seems.

What else should I know about?

LunaLoveg00d Tue 07-Feb-17 08:03:05

More shocked that you took DD to her parents evening - we never do!

Lidlfix Tue 07-Feb-17 08:21:21

Very much the done thing at her school and the secondary I teach in. Never at primary- that waited outside or stayed at home if too young.

Social event for DD and pals but she did hide my leopard print boots to prevent me wearing them. Seems my potential to embarrass knows no bounds!

LunaLoveg00d Tue 07-Feb-17 09:20:13

Really? There were some kids at our Secondary parents evening but they waited at a distance while parents spoke with the teacher. I always thought teachers could be more honest when the child under discussion isn't in front of them.

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 07-Feb-17 09:40:25

I knew this (proud) doesn't admit it's because I watch so much shit reality tv

WankersHacksandThieves Tue 07-Feb-17 20:46:29

I didn't know about grafting, but my DSs have been at every parents night with us in the meeting since nursery school, though to be fair I think they wandered away to the building corner uninterested in what was being said.

prettybird Tue 07-Feb-17 22:12:16

Dh and I have never taken ds but it's probably about a 50:50 split between those parents that go to parents' evenings with their kids and those that don't.

There's no pressure either way.

howabout Wed 08-Feb-17 16:39:57

Grafter meaning to work hard so not much of a stretch to be the same as being too try hard in a relationship context surely? Don't think the meaning is exclusive, although the concept of any teenager I know (including my own 2) grafting at anything is a bit of a stretch. grin

Floggingmolly Wed 08-Feb-17 17:26:36

Well it used to be exclusive, till someone decided to extend it's meaning to something with only a very tenuous connection.
Unlike sick... I'm old enough to remember when sick was a bad thing.

Nospringflower Sat 11-Feb-17 11:40:04

My children say grafting for something that sounds like what we would have calked chatting up.

They also say patching which I think is for ignoring eg someone who doesnt reply to your text has patched you.

howabout Sat 11-Feb-17 12:48:27

Mine use patching to mean the same as blanking.

LinghamStyle Sat 11-Feb-17 13:05:00

For me, in Scotland, grafting = working hard. Also known as knocking your pan in grin

In West Yorkshire, grafting = working hard to obtain money via illegal means.

I've not heard this new one yet! My DC are not teens though. DD1 has started using patching, and for some reason it really annoys me. I think the reason might be that I'm getting old hmm

FutureMrsRanj Sat 11-Feb-17 13:12:12

Avid reality tv watcher here, grafting does indeed seem to mean putting a lot of hard work into getting someone to agree to shag you

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 11-Feb-17 15:47:06

knocking your pan in grin

I've not heard that for years! I think it was generally used during parental rants at teenagers "here am ah, knockin' ma pan in while you are sitting on your lazy arse...could you no have at least shoved the kettle on?"

Isadora2007 Sat 11-Feb-17 15:53:20

Yep. Scottish here too and dd16 was telling me "I was totally grafting me at Cs party"... I asked what grafting her meant and she said he was working very hard to get her attention and get her to kiss him (get with him)
So yeah a grafter isn't an innocent term to her now...

LinghamStyle Sat 11-Feb-17 20:05:47

Wankers I recently revived it to use on my weans grin

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 11-Feb-17 20:24:22

Lingham I might try that next week since i'll be "knocking my pan in" at work whilst DH and DC are on holiday!

FreshStart2017 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:54:46

I've just googled Netflix and chill shock, well every day is a school day on here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now