Talk

Advanced search

Glasgow private schools

(11 Posts)
glasgowgal17 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:37:42

Hello everyone
My son is currently in S5 at a state school in North Glasgow. However he struggles to fit in there and also we believe that a private school would have more opportunities.
We are planning on applying him to a private school next year, preferably the high school of Glasgow.
Since he is in S5, the application process will be based on an interview, sqa results and this years prelim results.
Last year he got 6A's and 3B's in his national 5's, including 100% in two exams. Would this suffice for the high school of Glasgow or would the B's be a problem?

He has just sat his prelims and got 4A1's and a D in maths. Also 3 of the A's were very close to 100%. He shows a very strong ability for a narrow range of subjects and maths does not relate to what he wants to do...
However will the fact that he got a D in maths ruin his chances of getting in to the high school of Glasgow? As they have some crazy statistics on their website about the percentage of A's they get at their school

he hopes to get an A in maths by the final exam

He also does a lot of volunteering outwith school..

LunaLoveg00d Tue 31-Jan-17 07:45:39

If he's not going to do maths at the school, and is only going to be there for 6th year, wouldn't imagine they would be bothered as whatever he gets in S5 won't affect their stats as he wasn't at the school.

If he does very well in his Highers this summer does he need to switch school for one year or are there other options like a year out or college before Uni? Just seems a lot to move for one year, with passes in the bag.

thecitydoc Tue 31-Jan-17 09:50:52

don't see the point of moving him for 1 year - it may adversley affect his uni chances as some prefer non-private pupils. If he got a D in maths what makes him think he will get an A? That is quite a jump.

glasgowgal17 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:58:46

He was bullied and is very miserable at current school, studies an odd combination of subjects which is very rarely available at state schools. And he wants to do advanced Highers

ttlshiwwya Fri 03-Feb-17 10:48:31

I remember reading something in the Herald about an Advanced Higher hub at Glasgow Caledonian. Is that an possibility? I think it was set-up as frequently Glasgow state schools can't offer a wide range of Advanced Highers. I know in my area (South Lanarkshire) it is common for student to go to other schools either just for one subject or completely switch to get their AH combinations in S6. It would be worth checking this out before going down the private route (for the reasons other have given above). Also I believe some private schools offer local state school pupils AHs in some subjects (?MFLs - boosts their "charity" status!!!). My DCs year head will do everything to help S6 kids get the subjects that they need. Could your DSs current school help him find alternatives

prettybird Fri 03-Feb-17 11:12:35

Ds' (state) school on Glasgow's South Side does a full range of advanced Highers. In fact, it even has kids coming from the local private school to do some subjects.

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 03-Feb-17 11:31:22

That's a real shame about the bullying sad is there any chance that the bullies might not stay on for 6th year?

What subjects is it that he is looking to do?

SpermThroughASashWindow Tue 07-Feb-17 21:35:38

Glasgow high is a briluant school, but ridiculously hard to get into - although there may be spaces in s6 with pupils leaving to take up uni places. If your son is sporty too, and would be interested in extra curricular stuff, Glasgow Academy is an excellent school in all areas. Kelvinside is easier to get into, but more expensive. Hutchesons Grammar School in the south side is excellent too.

glasgowgal17 Wed 08-Feb-17 16:08:27

Might give kelvinside some thought.... So would you say his chances are low considering his maths prelim despite doing so well in other subjects... Thing is he will have to get an A in maths as he's applying to Cambridge and will need straight A's. How hard is hutchensons to get in to?

SpermThroughASashWindow Wed 08-Feb-17 16:25:04

They are all easier than they used to be.
The Glasgow Academy website has examples of entrance exams for S5 and S6.

Beebeeeight Sun 19-Feb-17 09:06:13

Have you considered a 6th year boarding place at one of the Scottish schools that do a levels?

Cambridge prefer a levels over highers/advanced highers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now