Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Commuting to Edinburgh?

(18 Posts)
Chocolateorangegoblin Sat 28-Jan-17 10:09:21

If you commute into Edinburgh from out of town where do you live?
Just looking for ideas, thank you!

Flat7Up Sat 28-Jan-17 15:41:48

I know of two train commuters. One from Lenzie/ Kirkie area, other from Croy. Both hate it unfortunately.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 28-Jan-17 20:25:06

I don't travel into Edinburgh for work anymore, but I do know people who do it from Stirling, Larbert, Bridge of Allan, Dunblane, Alloa, Perth, Bo'ness, Broxburn, Dalgety Bay, South Queensferry, Musselburgh, Tranent, Penicuik, Innerleithen, Bonnyrigg.

BaggyCheeks Sat 28-Jan-17 20:28:12

People I know who commute into Edinburgh live either in towns/villages immediately off the M90/A92 or that have a stop on the Fife Circle train line.

iMatter Sat 28-Jan-17 20:28:17

I know lots of folk who commute from N Berwick, Drem etc but as a result houses there cost a squillion pounds or thereabouts.

cazzyg Sat 28-Jan-17 20:55:26

I commute from Falkirk. Trains every 15 mins from Falkirk High into Edinburgh and the journey takes 25-30 mins.

Lots of commuters all along the railway line including Polmont and Linlithgow.

I'm based near the Gyle so I usually drive into work. My commute is 35-50 mins depending on the time of day/day of the week. You can get quite a lot of house for your money here and transport links are good which makes it very popular with commuters.

I have colleagues and friends who live in Penicuik, Dunfermline, Linlithgow, Livingston, Bathgate, Bridge of Allan, Dunblane, Stirling, Larbert and Kirkliston.

The main reason we ended up in Falkirk was DH can commute easily to Glasgow and I can get to Edinburgh easily.

MrsRedFly Sun 29-Jan-17 18:25:55

Dunfermline

Introvertedbuthappy Sun 29-Jan-17 18:27:19

Burntisland.

Shenanagins Mon 30-Jan-17 20:00:40

Lots of people commute from Glasgow- train is every 15 mins.

dementedma Mon 30-Jan-17 20:02:31

From Fife and its not recommended!

ScottyAl Mon 30-Jan-17 20:05:40

Peebles in the Borders but it's a nightmare!

Pootle40 Mon 30-Jan-17 20:05:51

Dunfermline. I leave the house at 750, drop son at nursery and normally at my desk 845 just before the Gyle.

ChesterFuckingDraws Mon 30-Jan-17 20:05:54

I stay in Midlothian which fairly close, think it's 6miles from house to city centre.
I can bus it into town in 25mins in rush hour thanks to bus lanes and drive it in about 35/40.
House prices in this area are very reasonable, get much more for your money.

morningtoncrescent62 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:31:03

I have lots of colleagues who commute in from Bathgate and the towns around it. There's a new station there with a huge car park, and the train takes about 25 minutes to Waverley (but also stops at Edinburgh Park and Haymarket).

Bumply Fri 10-Feb-17 20:08:19

I commuted from west of Stirling for a couple of years.
It was doable - just - if you got a seat on the train you could get work done on laptop.
I relocated to Edinburgh when I became a single Mum and now have a 15 min commute which is much more manageable

museumum Fri 10-Feb-17 20:09:52

I have colleagues who come in from Bathgate, uphall, Peebles, Dalgety bay and Aberdour.

stripeyreds0cks Fri 10-Feb-17 20:11:52

Dh travels through from wemyss area every day

fluffygreenmonsterhoody Fri 10-Feb-17 20:16:29

Linlithgow to haymarket here.

Service semi reliable but services absolutely rammed between 7-830am.

We're also on a 'no trains after 9pm' curfew due to works on the line, which curtails weekday evenings out somewhat.

Lots of colleagues commute from Fife.

Do. Not. Do. It.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now