Talk

Advanced search

Breaking up journey from Liverpool to Inverness

(18 Posts)
user1463172942 Tue 24-Jan-17 23:53:37

Hi

Ive booked a holiday for me and my 3dc, I've booked a lovely cottage near Inverness for Feb half term.

It's just me and the dc and I'm starting to get a bit nervous about the length of the journey (especially the squabbly older 2grin)

Any advice about places to stop for food. Leg stretch, change of scene from the car etc?

I was thinking of doing a stop in the borders and one once North of the Central Belt?

Also anything we should really make the effort to do? ( apart from the obligatory Nessie boat tourgrin)

thanks xxx

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 25-Jan-17 18:05:06

You'll not want to come far off the main road I would imagine. What kind of travel time are you starting at? i.e. are you looking for a lunch stop or dinner stop? What age are the children?

I'd say Perth-ish for your 2nd stop. There are a couple of play centres not far of the road. Noah's Ark just off the broxden roundabout and Active Kids adventure park which is just as you are leaving Perth off the bypass - not sure when that opens though as its a more outdoor place than Noahs ark.

Auchengarrich is good but a bit further off the road.

Otherwise you could come off at Bridge of Allan or Dunblane for a bite of lunch. Nice wee shops and a stretch of the legs.

Pitlochry is an easy stop off too but is a bit closer to Inverness if you are trying to split the journey into an even 3 parts.

The Lakes would be too early for your first stop, Moffat is a ok little place (good sweet shop). The Gretna Green outlet village might be okay if ou are interested in shopping - not really my cup of tea though.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 25-Jan-17 18:07:08

Ah - misread and thought you were looking for some activities to do at the stop offs - was also going to suggest the swimming pool in Perth.

SwearyInn Wed 25-Jan-17 18:12:02

A great place to stop and have a picnic (no shops) is The Hermitage.
It's directly off the A9 so no added to your journey (though I can recommend the nearby Dunkeld fish and chip shop if you wanted to stock up for your picnic). There are lovely pine forest walks there and a shallow river for the kids to have a play in.

Further north is the house of bruar which is a bit twee - lots of shortbread and tartan - and always busy but the food is good and they have a small play area for kids.

GeillisTheWitch Wed 25-Jan-17 18:16:25

House of Bruar has a play area? I've stopped there for the toilets loads and never noticed it.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 25-Jan-17 18:18:04

House of Bruar is like the twilight zone - the place is seriously weird (and expensive!) grin

SwearyInn Wed 25-Jan-17 18:20:03

Things to do in/near Inverness

Dolphin watching boat trips from Cromarty/Avoch
Fort George (you can see dolphins from there too)
Trip to Glen Africa (it's spectacular) - but full of midges!
Inverness swimming pool (3 slides, wave machine, Rapids, outdoor pool)
Landmark centre (about 30mins south of Inverness)
Urquhart Castle (you can do your Nessie spotting from there)
Cairngorm funicular railway (Nr aviemore)
Hiring bikes and cycling down path next to Caledonian canal from Inverness to Loch Ness
Cairngorm reindeer- Nr aviemore too - 20 minute easy walk into hills to feed a herd of around 100 of them. They're wonderful!

I've spent a lot a time in the area - I love it!!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 25-Jan-17 18:21:37

there is a fabulous park (I think) at The Helix Centre , near Falkirk...mine are all too big for that, but the Kelpies were amazing!!

SwearyInn Wed 25-Jan-17 18:22:44

Re Bruar play area - it exists! It's tiny but enough for wee ones. It's at back of car park (opposite side of car park from A9)

Bruar is unique - but I'd take it any day compared to an M6 service station!!

hugoagogo Wed 25-Jan-17 18:26:34

How old are your dc? I am very jealous our best holiday ever was up at Loch Ness.
Drumnadrochit is wonderfully tacky, Urquart castle very atmospheric. Culloden is also worth a visit my dc were little when we went and just loved running around there. Ben Nevis in the cable car is a great experience and a nice cafe and play area at the top. The beach at Lossiemouth is very good and not too far, we love Elgin as we have family there...

I will meet you at Penrith?wink

<btw it's Burns night where are the special smilies?>

SwearyInn Wed 25-Jan-17 18:28:54

Play area is next to dropped pin in map below.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 25-Jan-17 18:36:09

Bruar is unique - but I'd take it any day compared to an M6 service station!!

True! <still a weird place...> grin

GeillisTheWitch Wed 25-Jan-17 19:03:59

I'll have to look for it next time SwearyInn. We're usually just in and out for the toilets but MIL could spend a whole day at Bruar.

SwearyInn Wed 25-Jan-17 19:10:54

I suspect my MIL would be the same (my Mum loved it to when she was around)

We generally use it for the loos too (big wicker baskets for your used hand-towels!!)

And then I buy half my weight in sweeties on the way out having sworn that I would BuyFuckAll.

user1463172942 Wed 25-Jan-17 19:49:53

Thanks for all the detailed replies. That's so helpful. Definitely going to stop at Perth and go to one of the play centres so the kids can let a bit of steam off. And dolphin watching... the kids will LOVE that.

Geilis I love your user name. Of course, this trip hasn't been inspired by a certain TV show. Oh no. Not at all blush.

GeillisTheWitch Wed 25-Jan-17 20:44:18

Maybe this will be of interest to you OP.

user1463172942 Wed 25-Jan-17 22:31:57

Ooh might just take a look.

For the history, you ken grin

user1463172942 Wed 25-Jan-17 22:34:45

I'll stop it now, I've had wine and am being silly 😳

Thanks again for all the info x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now