Talk

Advanced search

Moving from London to Glasgow south side, need recommendations for rental property areas and nurseries(HELP!)

(12 Posts)
Bwith3 Sat 14-Jan-17 00:35:29

Hi everyone I'm moving with my family with two kids (3 and 15 month old) to Glasgow South side, and I'm 6 months pregnant. Any recommendations for which areas are best for renting and which private nurseries are good ...any advice would be amazing!!

prettybird Sat 14-Jan-17 11:45:55

What's your budget?

Pollokshields (especially West Pollokshields), Newlands, Shawlands, Langside, if you're needing/wanting to be within the city boundary.

Looking further ahead, Glendale, Shawlands and Langside Primaries are all good.

Shawlands Academy is a good secondary school.

Don't know about private nurseries. Heritage House (?) Nursery on Albert Drive looks quite good and ds' teacher at primary school used it and I'm sure she wouldn't have it she wasn't happy with it. (We were fortunate and our next door neighbour was a child minder).

Bwith3 Mon 16-Jan-17 15:25:11

Pretty bird, Thanks for the message. Pollokshields seems to be most recommended to us... What about PAISLEY ROAD WEST, GLASGOW, G51 1BS area???? Does that ring any bells. Its so hard to understand where is where shock

prettybird Mon 16-Jan-17 18:23:13

Depends what your budget is. I'd be very careful about Paisley Road West but there are bits that are ok. Fairly busy, so not sure I would recommend it for young kids.

prettybird Mon 16-Jan-17 18:36:51

Judging by the postcode, that'll be in the tenements. Much as I love tenement living, I wouldn't want to love on the ground floor on Paisley Road West and with 2 young kids and 6 months pregnant I wouldn't want to be on one of the upper floors (no lifts wink).

Lorne Street Primary is an ok primary (ds had a friend who went there but he's moved down to England) though and there is a nursery attached.

Dh was brought up (from about 10 onwards) in the street opposite.

Bwith3 Tue 17-Jan-17 08:19:12

Thanks, budget is about £1000 pm, we found one there for about £850.. And massive. But I did tell hubby to query what floor it is because we would need a lift.

Is that area more for young single people are there clubs and pubs etc there??

Ledehe Tue 17-Jan-17 12:34:36

You would be right next to a lot of pubs which are busy on football match days as not far from Ibrox stadium and definitely no lifts. I'm actually surprised a flat there would cost so much in rent actually. The flats are absolutely gorgeous but the area is quite run down. I always say if they were on the other side of the river (West End) they would be worth loads.

If people are mentioning South Side to you they will be thinking of the areas mentioned above, Pollokshields, Langside, Shawlands etc and even though G51 is Southside it's not classed as such when people speak about it confusingly. Also you're looking at tenements with these areas.

Beebeeeight Sun 19-Feb-17 09:24:21

Tenements don't have lifts.

I would strongly recommend not moving to Paisley road west with young kids.

Busy road, pollution, no green space, no nice shops, not a family area at all.

For £1000 pm you can get much better.

If your DCs are all small and it's only temp I'd consider the big two beds with huge kitchens, halls and storage. I think that would be enough space for you and you would get a much nicer area.

Beebeeeight Sun 19-Feb-17 10:00:02

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-64691984.html

This is a very rare find. Houses are rare in Shawlands- this is right at the heart of the community.

There's a 2+ playgroup a stones throw away.

Bangkokbaby Sun 19-Feb-17 10:14:03

I work just off paisley road west and have two young kids. There is no way I would consider living in that area with them. The tenements may look lovely but it is quite a run down area, loads of pubs and quite intimidating on match days. I wouldn't feel safe walking in the area after dark and a girl from my work had a bad experience while waiting on a bus on paisley road west a few weeks she, which resulted in management putting out a company wide email recommending women take care to avoid having to leave the building after dark.
The closes (communal hallways) aren't nice and sometimes aren't secure, so even if you have a nice looking flat the chances are your close will not be! I've been in a few that are horrible, even though the families home has been nice. You won't have a life as none of them do, but I wouldn't want to live on the ground floor.
As sugdsts try shawlands or newlands.

Trooperslane Sun 19-Feb-17 10:42:13

Agree - avoid PRW and I'm astonished that a flat there costs so much.

(We had a modern flat in finnieston for £600 a few years ago)

South side is lovely - Pollokshields, Shawlands, Cathcart etc.

Loads of green space, much more reasonable than the West End.

North and east can be a but touch and go too.

Trooperslane Sun 19-Feb-17 10:42:51

DD is in little Einstein's in Pollokshields and we love it. There are loads of decent ones too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: