Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Urgent! What is first footing?

(27 Posts)
RoganJosh Sat 31-Dec-16 23:42:01

Having just moved to Scotland I'm reading about first footing. I thought it was just your dad walking in with a lump of coal, but now I'm worried it's going to be a stream of people knocking on the door. It's not, is it?

What normally happens and what are we meant to do in response?!

Jbck Sat 31-Dec-16 23:43:16

You cant refuse a first footer entry grin

RoganJosh Sat 31-Dec-16 23:45:22

But what do we dooo with them?! grin

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 31-Dec-16 23:45:46

Give them alcohol!

Joz157 Sat 31-Dec-16 23:46:26

As far as I know from my gran, she would send me out of the front door and I would walk round to the back picking up some coal, bread and money to bring in the house. It really the first person to come in to your house on new years day. Over the years I've had different ppl to first foot me but they didn't seem to give me a wonderful year.

ferriswheel Sat 31-Dec-16 23:46:36

ERM...basically ply each first footer with a big drink and be outrageously hospitable.

Boogers Sat 31-Dec-16 23:47:44

I thought it was the first person over the threshold after midnight has to bring a lump of coal in with them. Not sure what you do with either them or the coal if you don't have a coal fire.

RoganJosh Sat 31-Dec-16 23:48:17

<frantically picks up children's abandoned clothes>

LadyTrevelyan Sat 31-Dec-16 23:55:59

Lump of coal, some bread and a penny.

Much drinkfconfused.

SergeantJynErso Sat 31-Dec-16 23:56:46

I'm a northerner down south and make DH first foot every year. We haven't got any coal (or usual substitute gel fire liquid). I'm sending him out with money, Christmas cake and batteries blushin place of fuel. He thinks it's all bonkers, but does it to humour me

LadyTrevelyan Sat 31-Dec-16 23:57:01

Out the door 1158, back in MIDNIGHT!

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Sat 31-Dec-16 23:58:41

I've lived in Scotland forever and have never, EVER, had a random appear as a first foot.

RoganJosh Sun 01-Jan-17 00:24:43

Panic over. I think we escaped the flood of thirsty hoards. We went out to watch fireworks at midnight, (through the side door so no one knew which house we'd come from) said Happy New Year to a couple of sweet 18 yr old boys/men and that was that.
Our house is also a bit tidier. Bonus.

dementedpixie Sun 01-Jan-17 00:27:49

We don't get first footers and don't go to anyone's door at the bells. Unless it's prearranged I don't think anyone will come to your door unannounced

bloodymaria Sun 01-Jan-17 00:29:43

Bless you OP! Happy new year! Were you worried it was a bit like guising?

RoganJosh Sun 01-Jan-17 00:36:08

I did suddenly wonder if it was, yes! grin

LetitiaCropleysCookbook Sun 01-Jan-17 00:36:33

Were you worried it was a bit like guising?

What's guising?

Happy NY!

Catzpyjamas Sun 01-Jan-17 00:40:35

Guising is the Scottish name for trick or treating.
Happy New Year! Lang may yer lum reek. tbsmile

RoganJosh Sun 01-Jan-17 00:46:57

Same to you? If that's not rude to hope your lum reeks lang.

My phone autocorrected to 'your mum reeks' which cannot be good.

StealthPolarBear Sun 01-Jan-17 00:50:27

I think technically it should be stranger. But it was always my dad. The first new year dh spent with us he did it, he'd never heard of it and I think he thought we were just having him on.

Catzpyjamas Sun 01-Jan-17 00:52:20

No, it's not rude. The reply my granny would have given is "Wi' ither folks coal! "
Translation: Long may your chimney smoke (long may you have fuel for your fire)

I do hope your mother does not reek!

SleepEatPlayWork Sun 01-Jan-17 00:52:45

I always do this shite these traditions. We've just opened our "good things that have happened this year" jar for the first time in 3 years. 10 things in it. Living life on the edge and not doing first footing this year

derxa Sun 01-Jan-17 00:54:33

Just go and visit!!!

JustWoman Sun 01-Jan-17 01:21:25

We've just opened our "good things that have happened this year" jar for the first time in 3 years. 10 things in it.

I love this idea, do you mind if I copy? I have a journal thing and think it would be great to stick the bits of paper in at the end of the year.

I'm sorry that your jar has been empty the last few years and hope that it's full to the brim at the end of 2017 flowers

SleepEatPlayWork Sun 01-Jan-17 10:52:12

Course not, hope you have more luck than me! I put something new in our empty jar last night!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now