Talk

Advanced search

Scots language: how does your school do it?

(27 Posts)
LindyHemming Wed 28-Dec-16 21:19:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 28-Dec-16 23:59:40

Mine are High School now but always hated it really. It was the usual Burns or some shitey poem that I complained about. DS1 hates public speaking so it was always torture for him. DS2 in primary 7 worked with a boy from Latvia and the translated a bit of Burns into Latvian (or maybe Russian?)and did that between them, he quite enjoyed that but it's probably quite niche... grin

Did you see the big thread about teaching in Scots?
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/scotsnet/2783254-Georges-Mingin-Medicine-as-theclassreader-why-exactly

LindyHemming Thu 29-Dec-16 01:08:57

LunaLoveg00d Thu 29-Dec-16 09:44:12

Our school does the usual Burns competition - which is really only Burns in P7. P7 children usually learn To A Mouse, younger ones something dire by JK Anand. It's part of the homework tasks so we go through the motions of learning it with much rolling of eyes and "Mum, this is STUPID, why do we have to learn this, nobody talks like this...." stuff. Children are not forced to perform their poem in front of the class if they don't want to.

Eldest child is in secondary school and it doesn't happen at all.

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 10:02:07

Euphemia, one thing I'd take from that thread is that trying to classify all regional language into "Scots" doesn't work. I'd either try to find something suitable that is local to your area or have a general discussion about local words they might know or ones that their parents or grandparents might use and get them to incorporate them into short poems or something?

LindyHemming Thu 29-Dec-16 11:23:37

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 11:59:33

Those both sound like good ideas. I think the key is to spark interest about the words we might use that are different to standard English without shoving it down the kids throats. It's nice to keep those words alive in some sense. I think this is important for all regions of the UK, I don't see it as a SNP issue or one which they should be enforcing. I'm not a burns fan either but I do like to hear a broad accent and some local vernacular even if I've probably not encouraged it at home where DSs have generic Scottish accents.

DramaInPyjamas Thu 29-Dec-16 12:09:13

Something that school did last year and seemed to be enjoyed was they take a normal (English) poem and research how to translate it themselves into Scots.

Another was try to find as many Scots words as you can and then compose your own poem.

Both these were enjoyed by my kids much more than the dreaded 'The Rabbie Factor' competition they also seem to have every year.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 29-Dec-16 12:13:52

Last year at the Burns assembly only the P7s did burns I think and it was just the Burns Selkirk Grace. The P1s sang "Ye canny shove yer granny aff the bus", and one year did the chucking pieces out of a twenty storey flat song...

LindyHemming Thu 29-Dec-16 13:17:35

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 29-Dec-16 14:10:25

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 14:17:58

That makes me laugh. When DS1 started primary he came home and I told him to hang up his coat. He said "Mum, there are two other words for coat, there's jacket <smile and nod from Mum> and there's jaickit...." grin

LindyHemming Thu 29-Dec-16 15:52:38

TheTroubleWithAngels Thu 29-Dec-16 17:05:02

LunaLoveg00d Thu 29-Dec-16 18:45:43

The many cultures thing sounds amazing - there are children in my son's year from Brazil, France, Germany, India, Canada, Ireland and goodness knows where else. Especially the food.

But that doesn't fit the idea that we should be inward looking and turning away from our UK neighbours because we're all special with our own "language".

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 18:58:10

But that doesn't fit the idea that we should be inward looking and turning away from our UK neighbours because we're all special with our own "language".

Luna, it's fine, just don't allow any English children to celebrate their culture.

LindyHemming Thu 29-Dec-16 19:47:47

DanyellasDonkey Thu 29-Dec-16 21:47:55

It's an annual chore in our school too. Burns and lots of other Scots poem are meaningless to our kids as Doric would be our local way of speaking.

Members of our local poetry group come in once a year to do some work with the children and that ticks the box just about covers it.

Kr1stina Thu 29-Dec-16 22:00:35

Our school does a Scots poetry competition each year and our kids love it . Not Burns for the infants and juniors, usually JK Annand or similar.

Every child learns a poem and recites it, winners from each class are chosen by their peers. The best recite in front of the whole school and prizes and certificates are awarded.

I can only assume that prizes are for enthusiasm as my severely dyslexic with a speech impediment has won it twice !

There's a lot of class work to support this but I don't know what resources they use.

Last year they had a class assembly ( P5) around burns night and acted out the story of tam o shanter, which was a great success.

Most of the children are white Scottish and Asian Scottish. I can see it might be harder if you have a lot of children for whom English is a second language.

Kr1stina Thu 29-Dec-16 22:02:23

I should say we are lowlanders. Indeed Doric would make more sense in the NE.

LunaLoveg00d Fri 30-Dec-16 10:28:05

Euphemia - I am of the opinion that the current SNP administration are pushing "Scots" so heavily because it fits their political purpose. Even though on the other long thread there was the general consensus that there is no one "Scots" and that people in Aberdeen use very different words to people in the Central Belt, the SNP are marketing this mish-mash of "Scots" very hard through schools. It fits their agenda - Scotland is different, Scotland is separate, Scotland has its own language, Scotland isn't like England/N Ireland/Wales in any way, Scotland should clearly be independent.

OOAOML Fri 30-Dec-16 11:42:58

I am thrilled that this year DS is going to get to do some Burns - we've had years and years of J K Annand and they do my head in (especially Scots Night where we have to listen to about 5 different children do the same J K Annand verse - and I do know each of them will be special to the child's own parents, but after over 9 years as a primary parent I've pretty much had my fill). It always grated on me that the school has Scots Night around the time of Burns Night but never mentioned Burns.

whattheseithakasmean Fri 30-Dec-16 11:49:22

As a child with an English accent educated in Scotland, do tread with care that you don't unleash some of the unpleasant nationalist bullying that I experienced in my school days. Not all Scots people speak 'Scots' and that is fine as well.

Kr1stina Fri 30-Dec-16 16:41:08

I agree that bullying is wrong . But no one suggests to French people that they shouldn't speak or celebrate the French language in case it causes bullying .

Scots, Lallans , Doric , Dundonian, Shetland and other dialects /languages have nothing to do with politics or bullying. They may be used by politicians or bullies but that's a different matter .

Kr1stina Fri 30-Dec-16 16:42:25

Not all Scottish people speak Urdu, although lots of them do . But we don't tell them to pipe down in case it unleashes bullying .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now