Talk

Advanced search

Pentland Primary School Edinburgh

(5 Posts)
Natsharp08 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:46:16

Hi everyone, we've seen a house we would like to but in fairmilehead and our catchment primary school would be pentland. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this primary school? I currently live in England with only a few friends in Edinburgh who haven't heard much about the school. We drove up to the school and I thought the immediate surrounding area looked a bit tired... Does the school have a good/bad reputation? The most recent report I could find on the school was around 8 years old. Please tell me your thoughts. Many thanks!

Groovee Wed 28-Dec-16 21:35:30

I have worked in the school. The nursery is lovely and I found children in the school polite and would open doors for me and chat if I was in the corridors. They had a big extension built due to how the school roll was expanding. It was a mixed catchment.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 28-Dec-16 23:41:00

Whilst it isn't all about the stats, the stats look good.

public.tableau.com/profile/sg.eas.learninganalysis#!/vizhome/AchievementofCurriculumforExcellenceCfELevels201516/Dashboard1

I grew up in the area and went to the nearby primary that was knocked down when they expanded Pentland (iirc it used to be called Comiston).

The houses will be tired now as they were built in the 50s but I think the majority are now owner occupied. It was mainly a council estate originally but it was never as rough as some and there was a real community to the place when I was growing up. It will be a mixed catchment, but doesn't look like it has high deprivation or anything according to the stats.

Nospringflower Thu 29-Dec-16 08:55:00

Pentland PS has a mixed catchment but is located in oxgangs which isn't such a good area hence the tired housing.

Not heard anything good or bad about it which suggests it is fine and it is feeder for a good high school - Firrhill although it depends on your address rather than feeder school. The talk is that all the schools around this area are being looked at and catchments adjusted so nothing is certain for the future.

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 29-Dec-16 08:55:53

Just tried the link and it's defaulted back to Aberdeen, you'll need to select Edinburgh and the school from the dropdown lists at the side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now