Talk

Advanced search

Edinburgh Christmas Markets

(15 Posts)
LunaLoveg00d Fri 16-Dec-16 09:20:21

Thinking of taking a wee trip through to Edinburgh tomorrow for the Christmas market as the kids loved it last year. I know where the European Christmas market is but someone was telling me about a (separate?) Scottish food/craft market but they were not from Edinburgh and very very vague about whether this is separate from the main market or part of the same thing.

Anyone shed some light?

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 16-Dec-16 10:27:08

www.edinburghschristmas.com/whats-on/the-scottish-market

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 16-Dec-16 10:31:00

Sorry, forgot to actually add a comment! George street is the street one further North than Princes street and this will be at the Charlotte Square end. I've never been to it, but it may even be in Charlotte square (where the book festival usually is) as I can't think where else would have room.

LunaLoveg00d Fri 16-Dec-16 11:08:13

I know my way around Edinburgh - grew up there and lived there until my 20s! My friend though is a real Weegie and couldn't name any of the streets and was very vague re the Scottish market "it's right by the other market, close to the big street with the trams and the castle" hmm

We tried to get tickets for the Street of Light and couldn't. Are the lights on from when it gets dark so you can see before the singing starts?

bluebell9 Fri 16-Dec-16 11:11:42

I was in Edinburgh last week and went to both markets. We didn't get tickets to the Street of Lights but they are on all the time from what I saw. It was lovely. The Scottish market is only small but there are some really good stalls.

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 16-Dec-16 11:11:44

Sorry Luna, I have no idea, I just googled. I'm from Edinburgh too but don't live there anymore and haven't been into the markets for a few years sad

I should imagine the lights will be on but don't know for sure.

NapQueen Fri 16-Dec-16 11:13:21

There are pubs and stuff within the section the street of lights is in so you can just go in them and then come out at the time the show starts.

LunaLoveg00d Fri 16-Dec-16 11:16:47

After a full-on week at school with performances and parties I think the kids will be flagging big style by evening. Plan is to come through, do the large market and possibly head up to the Castle for a bit, maybe a quick look round the bits of the Chambers St museum which have recently opened, street of light, market and then home.

Edinburgh does Christmas SO much better than Glasgow, the George Sq extravaganza is just embarrassing.

Groovee Fri 16-Dec-16 16:50:31

Street of light release extra tickets at 9pm at night. I've been finding the markets hooching at the weekends. St Andrews Square has the ice rink. You can pre book the rides online too X

Noofly Fri 16-Dec-16 17:19:19

DC went to meet DH after school one day this week. DC went on the star flyer (my God, how expensive is that!) and poor DH who has vertigo felt quite ill/lightheaded just watching them. grin

I have tickets for the street of light next Wed so we'll be heading into town again then. Last year they didn't bother checking tickets, but I've heard that this year they are.

Noofly Fri 16-Dec-16 17:21:00

Sorry, fear of heights, not vertigo.

LindyHemming Fri 16-Dec-16 19:29:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Groovee Sat 17-Dec-16 11:56:48

Remember to show something with your EH postcode to get discount.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 18-Dec-16 00:13:29

It is so busy this year that I would avoid. Really unpleasant as cannot even walk around-stuck shuffling between people.

I think because Glasgow really dropped the ball this year more people have flocked to Edinburgh. More stress than it was worth.

LunaLoveg00d Sun 18-Dec-16 10:41:07

We went through yesterday and although it was really busy it wasn't impossible. Kids loved the little cabin stalls and the food - unfortunately we don't live in an Eh postcode so no discount.

Agree that glasgows effort is pitiful- the "market" in st Enoch square is just pathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now