Talk

Advanced search

Hamilton?

(12 Posts)
fearlessoptimist29 Tue 01-Nov-16 15:13:09

Hello mums, It's really an honour to be here I heard a lot about this site about the lovely people and all 😃☺☺

Mums I have been offered a job in Hairmyres. It's really exciting and all but unfortunately I can't find any houses near it! I mean there are but not that much informative.

While I was hunting for houses, Suddenly Hamilton caught my eye! Its a 15 minute drive to Hairmyres. The house rents are quite cheap which is really excellent

I need to know a few things

1) How is Hamilton as a place? The society and all?

2) What's the difference between Grammar and State Schools in Scotland? Lets say if my daughter is in Year 8 does she have to do an entrance exam to enter for Grammar or no need?

3) What documents do I require for the school? Can u please suggest me the best schools? What are the steps I have to do?

4) Please provide me any more information! Thank u so much for taking out your time to answer these questions! Please don't hesitate to let me know more I don't bite 😉😘😍❤

-Ria

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 01-Nov-16 21:47:13

There's good parts and bad parts of hamilton. I've never managed to figure out which is which so I've steered clear.

There are no grammar schools in Scotland. There's state and Private. I don't think there's any entrance exams for Private.

Documents- depending on where you are staying- you'll need proof of council tax, birth certificate etc. You can look at the schools rankings online but again, it very much depends on where you're living as kids tend to go to their local school if State.

If you're looking for a similar area pricewise- I'd consider East Kilbride. It's marginally easier transport wise for Glasgow. I think where you're working/commuting to might also influence where you want to live.

cdtaylornats Wed 02-Nov-16 22:22:34

Most private schools have some sort of tests at Wellington in Ayr there are no tests for nursery, P1 to P6 they check previous school reports & are interviewed, P7 and up they check previous reports and are tested in Maths and English.

OllyBJolly Thu 03-Nov-16 07:02:25

Hamilton is okay. There are some lovely parts, and some not so nice parts. Like anywhere really. I lived there for a few years. I'd think it's probably a good bit more than 15 minutes commute to Hairmyres depending on when you're working.

Hamilton Grammar is a state school. We don't have "Grammar" schools in Scotland as you do in England. Hamilton College is the private school in Hamilton although many kids take the train into Glasgow for private schools. I think there is a bus for Hutchesons Grammar (which is a private school) Most private schools do have entrance exams but I've not heard of anyone failing (doesn't mean they don't!) - might just be to assess which classes kids are allocated to.

I would reconsider East Kilbride and look at Strathaven, Busby and Carmunnock.

If you're set on Hamilton, have a look at Earnock. Good school and a handy back road to East Kilbride although it's a bit treacherous in winter. Ferniegair is becoming popular. It used to be a small village outside of Hamilton but it's grown considerably in recent years. A bit further out but not too far from the road to EK.

If you are looking at East Kilbride then Calderglen is supposed to be a good school and some nice residential areas around it.

East Kilbride is a good place to live (I used to live there). Great sports and entertainment facilities. The most frustrating thing about it is that it was a new town built before widespread car ownership so the older estates don't have sufficient parking for residents. This leads to cars lining what are quite narrow roads and in many areas, you have to park out of sight of the house. The newer estates are different.

Congratulations on the job!

Bejazzled Fri 04-Nov-16 20:36:16

Also have a look at Nerston village and Eaglesham which are a short hop from Hairmyers. Gardenhall and Hairmyers estates (very close to the hospital) are big and loads of different house styles, Greenhills is best avoided.

MiladyThesaurus Fri 04-Nov-16 20:48:25

YY to eaglesham (or water foot) being both a great place to live and super handy for Hairmyers. There's lots of really nice housing and a good sense of community.

The schools situation is very good there too - the kids can get school buses to means castle or st Ninians. Or you get get the normal bus to williamwood. All of these are considered excellent schools. Or you could go private if you wanted. As others have said, there are only state comprehensives in Scotland.

Busby or Clarkston are also good. I wouldn't move to East Kilbride if you paid me. But I'd imagine it would very much appeal to the kind of people who like Milton Keynes.

MiladyThesaurus Fri 04-Nov-16 20:57:47

You can get the train to hairmyers really easily from busby, clarkston and giffnock too. It's not a long journey.

Bluntness100 Fri 04-Nov-16 21:04:14

The previous posters are inaccurate, I went to uddingston grammar school, so yes there is grammars in Scotland, simply because i went to one and it still exists.

Hamilton is a good town, I wouldn't hesitate to live there.

OllyBJolly Fri 04-Nov-16 21:55:25

Bluntness the meaning is different. English Grammar schools are selective schools. In Scotland Gramnar is just a name . Uddingston Grammar is a comprehensive just like Holy Cross or Earnock

Hootenany Fri 04-Nov-16 22:12:31

cd good old Welly, although I've now heard they have boys!! And they don't make 'em wear the boaters and grey hats!

Runningbutnotscared Fri 04-Nov-16 22:25:27

I went to an 'academy' school in Glasgow which always confuses English people - it was a comprehensive as all high schools in Scotland are.

I think some Glasgow private schools may have an entrance exam......but others are just keen to take your money no matter how thick your child may be.

cdtaylornats Fri 04-Nov-16 23:45:57

Hootenany - they do have boys and the hats have gone. Still strict with the uniform though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now