University Entrance 2017(25 Posts)
DS is applying and constantly checking. Because it seems to be different for those living in Scotland, I thought I might see who else has offers etc. Some English students have offers already from Edinburgh etc but they seem to offer Scottish residents after the January deadline at most places.
Thoughts? DS is History and has an offer from Glasgow (very quick) as they apparently don't read personal statements. But waiting on 4 more.
DS2 is applying too but he's waiting for his school to do their reference so no offers. He's not applied to Edinburgh but he was at a UCAS fair and a friend who wants to do english did speak to someone from Edinburgh who said that for some subjects (I'm guessing the well over subscribed ones) they wait until they do a complete or partial pool of applicants before they give out offers. I presume the pool will be by student category (Scottish, Rest of UK, EU) as the places available will depend on this. You could check the student room if you are keen to see if anyone has offers.
Thanks. Yes, I will. Good luck to your DS. I am an English teacher so good choice for your DS.
My DD got an offer from Edinburgh for entry this year. She didn't take it as she got the opportunity to study overseas for the year instead. Unfortunately it was the case that her (unconditional) offer didn't arrive until well into March. Glasgow and Aberdeen both made fairly quick offers, but Edinburgh are always among the last to offer to home applicants.
It is a long wait isn't it.....
I think because Glasgow was so quick, the others seem to be taking ages.
Is Edinburgh your DSs preferred option? He's applied early. Is he trying for Oxford or Cambridge? I guess they don't make offers until early January (I presume they don't do the knock-back letters on Christmas Eve anymore - I've a colleague who 5 years on still mentions how this destroyed their family Christmas).
My DS2 is only applying to 2 unis - Glasgow and Strathclyde. Well over 90% of applicants get offers so not such a big deal for him. Bigger issue is whether he'll make the offers. He's smart but has got by with very ttle work so far.
DS is applying to Oxford. He is swithering between Ed and StA as his preferred 2nd choice. He already has enough for unconditional offers but is also doing 3AH. I would have loved another offer before Christmas if (when) he gets a knock back from Oxford.
He had to do an exam this week, and send away an essay. They will then decide whether or not to interview.
I got the rejection from Oxbridge just before Christmas. He will hear about the same time.
I agree it would make the whole Oxford application process so much more bearable with offers from Edinburgh or St Andrews.
Good luck to your son. My colleagues son ended up at a great London uni which if he is anything like his mother probably suited him better socially.
Hi all - thought we could do some handholding here. DD has just submitted the UCAS form- it all seems so much more stressful than back in the dark ages so I'm now more nervous than she is . Crossing fingers and everything else.
Good luck to your DD.. Where has she applied?
It has certainly changed from my day. I can't remember even doing a personal statement. Maybe it was optional and I didn't bother. Also couldn't believe the hike in entrance requirements.
My DS is still waiting for his school reference so not yet submitted. I would like him to get offers before his prelims as this might encourage him to study a bit more.
Thanks. Yes I don't remember doing a personal statement either - think I just filled in the course codes and sent it away.
The references do still have to be added but she assures me the school will be on the case. I don't remember getting references either !
DD has applied to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Strathclyde. Think she was a little freaked by some of her friends getting offers already. I am pleased the application is in before Christmas so she can focus on studying for prelims in mid January. Although tbf she is quite self motivated( thank goodness)
Good luck to your DS - and all the others - it's an anxious time
Just updating and looking for advice from wise mnetters. DD is in the very fortunate position of having 2 offers - conditional from Glasgow and unconditional from Dundee for Law and cannot decide whether to firm Glasgow and hopes she gets the condition or firm Dundee and know that its all sorted.
Glasgow was first choice but we (DH, dd and I ) were all very impressed by Dundee at the offer holder day- had a great feel, is a lovely campus and was a very well organised day.
I am trying not to influence too much - grew up in Glasgow and went to U of G myself. I can "see" dd fitting in in either altho at our second visit to Glasgow it felt more intimidating and the difference in size between there and Dundee was quite apparent - but that coud be because the visits were very close together.
Any advice gratefully received.
I'm a Glasgow girl myself and went to U of G and would say firm Glasgow and insure Dundee. Glasgow is much higher in the league tables. Does the Dundee offer change to something much worse (and possibly) unachievable if you don't firm them. Is the Glasgow condition reasonable?
Friend of my DD is doing Law at Glasgow (first year) and is loving it. Even though uni is huge and numbers on course larger than Dundee it sounds as if there is a good mix of people on the course and they socialize etc. together so better than my experience of first year at Glasgow (Science) with 250+ people per class and rarely anyone in all the same classes as you.
Thanks ttilshiwwya - thats what'm inclined to advise but was worried I was being overly influenced by the thought of Glasgow. The offer from Dundee is unconditional and there is no suggestion that it would change. UCAS does allow you to hold a conditional (firm) with an unconditional (insurance) so I'd be surprised if Dundee changed the offer - but that opens up a whole other level of anxiety !
The condition from Glasgow is 2 x B at AH which dd thinks is achievable - so fingers crossed.
History is fab at Glasgow Op. Your son must be delighted!
Great that the Dundee unconditional isn't reliant on her firming them and the Glasgow conditional is achievable. So either way she's got a uni she (and you) would be completely happy with.
Yes thanks - I think that is what she will do - but she is quite tempted by the idea of firming Dundee and knowing that it is all sorted. Have left it up to her to decide while trying to reassure that the accommodation won't be a problem(fingers crossed).
To Troll and Rose -I did History at Glasgow - and really enjoyed it
DD has now firmed Glasgow and has Dundee as insurance. SAAS application completed and accommodation applied for - just has to sit exams now - fingers all crossed. Good luck to everyone's dcs
DS2 has firmed Glasgow and has Strathclyde as insurance. My preference was the other way around so I'll be secretly happy if he gets his insurance. You've prompted me to ask him about his SAAS application so that's sorted. Just the exams now. Good luck to everyone's DCs.
Yes just exams now - altho much energy being expended on muck up day, prom, yearbooks, hoodies etc - I just left school
I just left too. My DS2 is in S5 so no muck up day and since he's a boy he'll buy his prom outfit the day before . However according to my DCs muck-up day was mental today - school evacuated, super glue, flour bombs, smoke bombs, water bombs, maggots, police called. Lots of things taken as souvenirs. Can't remember it being so bad when my DS1 left 2 years ago.
dd had last day of school yesterday - was very tired last night and think she found it quite emotional. Muck up day was quite restrained - lots of masks, balloons and post--it notes but they had been well warned that the police would be called if there was any damage or unpleasant behaviour. Just to get through exams now !
Best of luck to all your DC.
DS is going to a conservatoire so he was in the happy position of having offers by the middle of December. Had to accept by the end of January which seemed tremendously early as it was a difficult decision.
So interesting to hear about other people's last days. DS' school has taken a large hand in organising it for the past few years in an attempt to keep some control. They seem to more or less succeed, I think.
So much more complicated for our young peeps these days as pps have said. I remember filling in a form in one evening and sitting back and waiting for the unconditional offers to come in - despite only having 2As and 2Bs. That would have got me in to law in those days!
I hope everyone's DCs have managed to make their offers.
My DS2 made his so will be off to UofG in September.
Now to help my DD decide what she wants to do - she's a bit of a jack-of-all-trades master of none so we're going to do the open days in S4 to see if anything inspires her.
Join the discussion
Please login first.