What's your best tablet and treacle toffee recipes

(14 Posts)
thiswayplease Thu 27-Oct-16 12:21:44

Anyone care to share?

My plan for the weekend is making lots of traditional Halloween treats that will destroy teeth

prettybird Thu 27-Oct-16 13:06:48

My tablet is renowned amongst my friends and family took me 13 batches and changing to the 2nd of my mum's recipes to be able to be confident of making it consistently

Make it regularly for the fundraising cake stall at ds' rugby club: they put the price up from £1 to £1.50 per bag (10 pieces per bag) as they said it was worth it.

Most tablet recipes have pretty much the same ingredients. The difference with my mum's "The Best" recipe is a slight variation in the technique.

Only give the annotated version of the recipe (with precise timings) to good friends though. grin

SoMuchRoomForActivities Thu 27-Oct-16 13:18:36

Best tablet I've had was at The Rogano in Glasgow before it was bought out. Used to be made by the Mother of the owner or something.
I've never understood the reason for keeping recipes a secret if the person asking is not looking to profit but just to make decent tablet.
Good luck in the search; I've made it a couple of times but it turned to a kind of fudge Tarmac. sad

prettybird Thu 27-Oct-16 13:27:47

Oh - I know her - She's the grandmother of one of the members of ds' cycling club. smile she's even said she likes my tablet wink

She says she used to be able to juggle 4 pans on the hob at different stages of stirring/beating. She said different times of the day meant slight different timings as the gas pressure would be different.

I did ask her advice about using an electric beater for the final beat (to make it slightly less labour intensive) but she advised that it has a detrimental impact on the texture, making it slight softer and less crisp.

Takes me 45 minutes (plus setting time) to make a batch - stirring almost the entire time.

howabout Fri 28-Oct-16 16:31:51

Helensburgh toffee recipe out of the Glasgow cook book. All in the weight of the pan, the stirring and judging the setting point though.

SoMuchRoomForActivities Fri 28-Oct-16 17:46:29

How I will look that up and try! smile

citychick Sat 29-Oct-16 10:43:22

i could give you my DMs recipe but then id have to kill you sadly i dont have it to hand
it is fabulous and yes it involves a lot of stirring.
DM has a little book full of old family recipes and it would be saved from . burning building .

<feels teeth.rotting as i type and realise that i have not been helpful at all>

Bejazzled Sat 29-Oct-16 10:51:13

I use this basic recipe with a few tweaks. No vanilla required, boil until the colour is right not by timing (15 mins is NEVER enough) and similarly the beating goes on as long as needed to get the consistency.
here

MuchasSmoochas Sat 29-Oct-16 10:59:31

Do you successful tableters stir while it's boiling or just after? I'm a failed enthusiast.

MuchasSmoochas Sat 29-Oct-16 11:09:35

This recipe is from my great aunt, and her daughter made a family cook book. It says it's fudge but that's what we call it in NI, but is not soft, it's crumbly and delicious but I fail at the beating stage.

citychick Sat 29-Oct-16 11:17:37

DM stirs whilst melting contents together and then starts beating in earnest when off the boil. it's very needy . God forbid the phone rings or the door bell goes!

citychick Sat 29-Oct-16 11:21:43

bejazzled
i don't think DM adds milk.
but the rest is very close to her recipe.

thiswayplease Sat 29-Oct-16 13:38:18

Thanks for all your replies, I've made three batches grin

I brought it to the boil and stirred continuously until brown then used an electric whisk.

The last batch is a bit soft though.

I'm going to try treacle toffee shortly

MaynJune Sun 30-Oct-16 14:18:11

I've made Alice's recipe too. It's the same as my mother used to use.
The beating's the trickiest thing for me too. The timing is quite difficult. If I don't beat enough it doesn't set properly and too much and it's too thick for a smooth finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now