Talk

Advanced search

Volunteering opportunities abroad for DD?

(16 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 15-Oct-16 21:30:24

Does anyone know organisations that could help arrange something for DD (currently in S3) in India or Malawi?

She was very disappointed to learn that her school only does a trip to India for S6 every other year, and that it won't be available to her year.

I wondered if I could organise something during school holidays - I'm a teacher so I could go too.

She'll be 17 at the start of S6, and really fancies something involving children/schools.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 15-Oct-16 21:53:52

Would she be interested in joining the Scouts? They often organise trips to Africa etc to do community work. That way sh'd be part of a group of people she had got to know.

Euphemia Sat 15-Oct-16 21:58:52

She used to be in Guides but got bored with it. She would join Scouts if her pals would! Hadn't thought of that, so I'll look into it - thanks!

ThatStewie Sat 15-Oct-16 22:08:45

Do you mean voluntourism? If you do, then this article explains why it's massively inappropriate and, frankly, extremely damaging to children to have western kids traipsing over to spend 4-6 weeks working in schools and orphanages when they lack the skills and time to do so in an appropriate manner that is of beneficial support to other children. Most major NGOs no longer support this type of activity as it is unethical.

If your DD wants to work with children, she is far better looking at local organisations that have appropriate training programs that will allow her to volunteer ethically in a way that is beneficial to other people rather than her CV.

ThatStewie Sat 15-Oct-16 22:16:07

This article is very good on why it's actually a massive child protection risk to encourage this kind of unethical practise.

Groovee Sun 16-Oct-16 09:29:11

If she was willing to take a gap year and go with Project Trust she could have an amazing experience. One of my young leaders from Brownies is currently in Guyana. She's is sporadic contact but it looks like she's having an awesome time.

capercaillie Sun 16-Oct-16 09:31:53

Project Trust but is a longer commitment

Also take a look at Inspire Worldwide. I don't work for them but for one of the charities linked to them and they regularly organise school and private visits to Malawi.

LizzieMacQueen Sun 16-Oct-16 13:40:15

There is a Britsh school I think in Malawi, why not try writing to them, maybe you could arrange a job swap with one of their teachers for a term (assuming you don't have other commitments you need to be here for).

Euphemia Sun 16-Oct-16 13:44:59

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to speak to the school as well - they have a PT for work experience, etc., so I'll ask their advice too.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 16-Oct-16 13:58:38

I used to work with student volunteers in the UK and totally agree with ThatStewie.
International volunteering for young, gap year types is little more than a money-making adventure holiday with no demonstrable benefit for those it claims to help. In fact resources are often diverted to look after immature volunteers who are treated as tourists.
Much better to volunteer with a charity closer to home which does not demand large sums of money to participate and has a clear benefit. If your DD wants to work with children, look at Young Carers which offers activities to help young carers have time to be children and is often desperately short of committed volunteers to run weekly sessions. She could do this for much longer than a month in the summer and although it might not sound as glamourous as a month in somewhere hot and foreign, she will be able to make a positive difference. It might also equip her with skills she could use for some good quality international volunteering when she is older.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 16-Oct-16 13:59:54

Why would a school in Malawi want to swap a trained teacher for a UK school kid?

LizzieMacQueen Sun 16-Oct-16 14:35:15

No I meant euphemia (who is a teacher) would be part of the swap so allowing her and her dd to go together.

LakeOfDreams Sun 16-Oct-16 14:59:52

You could get in touch with an organisation called marys meals. They provide a meal for a lot of schools in Malawi. I believe they are a religious organisation and not sure what their criteria is for volunteers

Igneococcus Mon 17-Oct-16 09:07:55

Mary's Meals was founded by two brothers who are Catholics and is still run by one of them but they are open to people of all faiths and none, both wrt who they are helping and their volunteers. I'm in Argyll, not far from where its headquarters are and people here are very supportive of it.

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 17-Oct-16 09:26:45

I'm an atheist and have looked into various organisations and I've found Mary's meals to be a very inclusive organisation that doesn't treat their work as a recruitment campaign. Unlike some others.

dotdotdotmustdash Tue 18-Oct-16 23:30:13

I wonder if you could look into her joining with a trip from other schools in the area? My Dd, and 7 from her school went on a trip to China last year and they were joined by a girl from another school who went without her own teacher. Maybe it's worth asking around?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now