Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Did you get funding for your deferred child?

(10 Posts)
CushionFiller Wed 05-Oct-16 22:46:56

And most importantly, if your child was a December birthday, how did the council tell you that you either would or would not get funding?

I think I have missed a letter or email somewhere from the council. I just presumed (wrongly it seems) that I would get funding, and I have now realised I'm probably not.

CushionFiller Wed 05-Oct-16 22:48:13

It's Edinburgh btw, just incase that makes a difference?

Groovee Wed 05-Oct-16 22:57:43

They normally tell you by letter. Is it private or a council nursery?

CushionFiller Thu 06-Oct-16 00:25:32

Private

Groovee Thu 06-Oct-16 07:16:01

I'd speak to the nursery as they should be able to help you find out.

I work in council and we normally get told along with the parent.

SauvignonPlonker Thu 06-Oct-16 14:41:12

I deferred my DS, who is now P3, a few years ago, in Edinburgh. Apparently the head of educational psychology does not believe in deferring & there has been a big drive in recent years to send the 'discretionary' deferrals ie Jan/Feb birthdays.

It is very difficult to defer Aug-Dec birthdays & you will have to provide strong evidence. I was able to defer my DS as he was 3 months premature, a bit behind for his age & had a few health issues - all documented from HCP's who supported his case.

So we did get the deferral & funding, despite having been told that the chances of deferral were very small. He was in a school-nursery type setting. His other wee premature friends, who were in private nurseries, were not so well-supported & mostly had to appeal & scrabble evidence together.

What stage in the process are you at? And when is your DC due to start school?

WankersHacksandThieves Thu 06-Oct-16 21:28:16

Surely they cannot insist you send your child to school if they aren't yet 5 and if they didn't get a place until the term after they were 3, you haven't had 2 full years of funded nursery either.

I'd think you have a good case from those facts alone.

Kaffiene Thu 06-Oct-16 21:31:45

P4 Feb DC here. We deferred and got funding. East Lothian though and most defer.

OvO Thu 06-Oct-16 21:45:25

I deferred both my DC (both Nov birthdays) and got funding both times. I was sent a letter telling me. This was Midlothian though. Was very very easy to get the deferral with no real reason needed.

CushionFiller Thu 06-Oct-16 23:24:28

Thanks all. Have spoken to the council and all is now well with the world! I has having a bit of a middle of the night can't sleep panic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now