Friend marrying a kilted scots man - is it going to rain ?

(20 Posts)
Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Sep-16 15:42:14

She's booking her wedding but every photographers website she's looking at its either pissing down, looks like it's about to or its dark even in June/July. I know you can never guarantee the weather but short of eloping to Vegas, my suggestion, anything she can do to increase her chances ? His family are in Glasgow, they live in Edinburgh so either work.
Thank you xx

dementedma Sun 04-Sep-16 15:43:56

Pot luck. Safer in Edinburgh than Glasgow and best months. probably May or September.

Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Sep-16 15:46:16

May would be nice, spring time, I'm worried about her freezing her ass off lol

Redglitter Sun 04-Sep-16 15:46:43

Maybe she's looking at the wrong sites. We get plenty sunny days here and besides there's more to a wedding than sunny photos. Any good photographer will work well what ever the weather

dementedma Sun 04-Sep-16 15:47:23

A gorgeous wrap if chilly, maybe in a colour to match the bridesmaids?

AgentProvocateur Sun 04-Sep-16 15:47:38

This year has been particularly wet (but do was last year, and the year before, and the year before that... wink). East Coast is drier than the west, and May is usually nice.

Redglitter Sun 04-Sep-16 15:47:42

Ffs it's only Scotland she's not going to freeze to death. Thousands of couples get married here with no weather fatalities

Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Sep-16 15:50:40

Ok calm doon, just trying to help

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 04-Sep-16 15:52:19

We got married in August in Wiltshire. It pissed down. We then went to Scotland for our honeymoon and it was glorious!

Pisssssedofff Sun 04-Sep-16 15:55:20

Typical eh

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 04-Sep-16 16:04:45

I got married in March, we had our photos indoors smile

I'd definitely go with East and April/early May, that's when we've had the best of the weather the last few years. However, they can have a contingency plan in mind, our hotel set aside a nice area with big windows (lots of natural light) for the photos. Also, go for an early-ish wedding so you are getting the photos early afternoon to catch the best light.

prettybird Sun 04-Sep-16 18:13:49

Got married in Glasgow in May - chose May because we usually get good weather in May.

Woke up on the morning of my wedding day, pulled up the blind and thought, "Fantastic smile - but the photographer is going to hate it hmm"

That was because it was a glorious sunny day grin

Just as well as our reception was in a marquee in my parents' (shared) garden and we effectively had a garden party beforehand wink

cdtaylornats Sun 04-Sep-16 21:23:10

Sunset in Edinburgh/Glasgow at the moment is 8PM so plenty of daylight.

WankersHacksandThieves Sun 04-Sep-16 21:28:38

cd I know confused, I said have it early to get the "best" light for the photos, not that it would get dark early. I'm a little further north now, we were about half 8 tonight.....the nights are fair drawin' in... grin

Groovee Sun 04-Sep-16 21:50:10

Dh was a true Scotsman on our wedding day. He was warm. It was cold but the sun was out.

prettybird Sun 04-Sep-16 22:39:19

The picture of the marquee was taken at 9.30pm grin

Puremince Mon 05-Sep-16 11:27:35

My parents got married in June. They had hailstones.

Pisssssedofff Mon 05-Sep-16 13:45:03

I'm told kilts keep you warm, maybe we should all wear them lol

user1468321775 Thu 08-Sep-16 22:00:56

I got married in Glasgow in May and it was 27 degrees. It was far too hot and we couldn't get many photos outside because the sun was so bright that it was causing so much glare making photo's difficult! Sun isn't all it's cracked up to be...I'd rather a dry, mild day! A good photographer can out filters on photos to make it look brighter/less grey if need be

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 08-Sep-16 22:03:53

East coast dryer than West. September is usually a good month. We chose September because August is often rubbish. Was a glorious day. Pissed down all day the Saturday before and I ordered a few huge brollies just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now