University fees/grants etc in Scotland

(6 Posts)
concertplayer Thu 18-Aug-16 21:15:23

We are hoping to move up from England.
Do students have to pay tuition fees - as they do in England?
What about living costs grants?
thanks

AgentProvocateur Thu 18-Aug-16 21:45:58

No, they don't pay tuition fees, but you have to have been resident in Scotland for a qualifying period (3 or 5 years, I think). Living cost loans are available with the max non-means tested amount around £4,500.

unweavedrainbow Thu 18-Aug-16 21:51:40

No, you have to have been resident in the UK for 3 years preceding the first of August of the year of university entry and ordinarily resident in Scotland (so not there purely for uni) on the first of August.
Scots fees are paid by SAAS-it's a grant not a loan. Living expenses are covered by loans.

residency rules

prettybird Fri 19-Aug-16 08:17:34

Definition of "ordinarily resident"

"^Ordinarily resident has been defined in the courts as ‘habitual and normal residence in one place’. It basically means that you live in a country year after year by choice through a set period, apart from temporary or occasional absences such as holidays or business trips. Living here totally or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education does not count as being ordinarily resident.^ "

Alwaysinahurrynow Fri 19-Aug-16 10:42:36

Plus the free tutition fees are only if you study in Scotland, so for obvious reasons, most Scottish students now choose to (increased since tuition fees were introduced in E&W). However, there are limits on the numbers of Scottish and EU students that the unis will take as there is only limited funding (there was quite a lot of comment when it meant Scottish students couldn't get places in Clearing when E&W students could).

In some ways , I think the free tutition fees can restrict Scottish students' choice of unis as it's a big financial incentive to stay put rather than potentially go for a course they might really enjoy elsewhere in the UK.

concertplayer Fri 19-Aug-16 20:34:26

yes, always I did find it a bit restrictive. I mean each Uni strives to get the
best sudents for its courses. It should all be on merit/suitability for the
course. I can see the argument for some courses eg medicine where the
State may say we need x number of doctors teachers or whatever.
We will be planning to spend the rest of our lives (parents) in Scotland
and have property pensions from England so absolutely genuine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now